3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member

In B42..

• Extrude faces still just seems to move the face and nothing more.
  • Normal Extrude works but the process is very cumbersome. Each time I want to extrude a new face a need to deselect all faces (double clicking outside the mesh to deselect all does not work with two monitors unless you first click on the second monitor), select a new face, select the extrude tool AGAIN and then drag it out.  

• Advanced Member
On 4/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

9.04.21 B42:

- Voxel brushes updated, voxel brush engine introduces, similar to surface brush engine. Pay attention, VoxelEngine is subject to change, so we can't guarantee your presets related to the voxel engine will be preserved. Anyway, it is faster, more flexible. And very good point it offers real clay-like brushes for voxels.

- A lot, lot of bugfixes, including stability bugfixes, retopo/modeling...

- fixed RenderMan freezing at the start of render.

- Snapping corrected, was just not working at all.

- Fixed painting/sculpting along the curve.

Big difference B)

Lots of amazing stuff in 2021 :yahoo:

• Advanced Member

this isnt a bug but its something to note

inside blender i can comfortably sculpt at 50 million polys its slow but you can stamp details easily

inside 3dc i can even get 50 million polys... it just crashes, i know you dont need that many but its just something to note.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

inside blender i can comfortably sculpt at 50 million polys its slow but you can stamp details easily

inside 3dc i can even get 50 million polys... it just crashes, i know you dont need that many but its just something to note.

I just tested and I got to 63 million triangles pretty comfortably.  A little slow, but it seemed like I could go higher if I wanted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, Scary M said:

Yup try it in fullscreen using alt + Enter scales oddly, not just blurry but pixelates. Also as you move the cursor from right to left does the offset change in size?

Thanks! Yeah it gets sharper but now is pixelated and everything looks like 2px instead of 1px.

Yes, the further right my hand/pen is, the closer the cursor is to where it should be. Totally seems related to my second monitor. Using 1920x1200 (left) and 4k(right, main monitor).

• Advanced Member
30 minutes ago, gbball said:

I just tested and I got to 63 million triangles pretty comfortably.  A little slow, but it seemed like I could go higher if I wanted.

awwww.... ill try again, i only have a 10850k and 32 gb ram , what you currently running?

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

awwww.... ill try again, i only have a 10850k and 32 gb ram , what you currently running?

i7-9700 with 48 gb ram...I don't know what the bottle neck is when comes to 3D Coat.  But I ran out of virtual memory due to disappearing space on C: No matter how much I clean things up it seems like different programs keep dumping stuff in temp folders somewhere.  It's unrelated but does anyone know how to prevent that from happening?

Premiere, TVPaint, I'm assuming 3D Coat and other programs all seem to cache stuff away on the C:  I can't stand it.

3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

Bruh, it still beta, why you need 50mil if even character artist need about 5-15mln in scene. And BTW i just tested it can eat 100mln on not powerfull PC like mine, but for what, i don''t know. R5 1600, RX 560 4gb, 64gb ram

Screenshot_2.png

15 minutes ago, #000wizard said:

Hi, I've found some painting issues in 2021.B42

• Can't sample color in Texture Editor, V for color picker doesn't work
  • Alpha issues (maybe this is the wrong method anyway? I'm new to 3DC)
  • Brush skipping on edges where angle changes: intentional behavior?

3DC_painting.jpg

Which tablet you use? I have similar issues with painting on new Chinese tablet (VEikk), but my Wacom work fine

Hi,

I got a crash using the latest version.

Surface mode, 1.2 mil tris, draw brush with some spacing and Auto subdivide turned on using that little pill brush.

Notice how it misses a draw every so often but still subdivides the surface, then it crashed when moving slowly in this circular motion.

Testing on a older laptop, Asus I7-4700HQ ROG GTX 780m 24 gig ram, Windows 7

3dCoat2021-1.thumb.jpg.8fae707ef463029fb23a14af55f2abdd.jpg

• Advanced Member

2 hours ago, RetopoBro said:

Hi,

Surface mode, 1.2 mil tris, draw brush with some spacing and Auto subdivide turned on using that little pill brush.

Notice how it misses a draw every so often but still subdivides the surface, then it crashed when moving slowly in this circular motion.

2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

thats really strange .. mine should be able to get that easy then, might have to look into why its crashing ,i honestly cant even get 32 mil 

On Linux Lubuntu running in wine, I can sculpt on 46 million tris connected mesh at around 50-55fps with rapid brush (auto subdivide off). I feel I can go higher.  If auto subdivide turned on, the brush becomes VERY SLOW, but not crash. 

Computer: intel i7 2600k, RTX 2060, 16GB ram.

Maybe a windows problem that causes crash?

Edited by animk

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, RetopoBro said:

Hi,

This is likely happening because the default Subdivision value is about 10x too high. I have reported this to Andrew, but I don't think he has addressed it yet. The default value on my current system, does not cause a crash, but it stalls the application for several seconds or longer. One needs to change the default value to 10x lower. Instead of 2.0, it should be more like .2 or instead of 1.0, it should be .1 

• Advanced Member
On 4/8/2021 at 11:18 PM, Barrel said:

Unfortunately, I very often faced a variety of problems in the retopology room in all versions, so I most often do retopology in other programs.
In the end, it is not even possible to transfer an object normally from retopology to sculpting. The most normal way is to export the file in the retopology room and import it into the sculpt room.

This is heresy.

I got it working, after "modeling" room you need to use "retopo" room before "sculpting" room.

1) Once low poly is complete , switch to retopo room

•     uncheck "Virtual mirror mode"
  •      check on "Apply symmetry to all layers"

3) Switch to "Sculpt" room, choose "Objects" -> "Import"

•     uncheck "Respect Negative volumes"
  •     check on "Import so separate instance" and adjust "ExtraInstanceDensity" as you wish

3-DCOat-LOWPOLY2.jpg

There should be official video tutorial to show the process getting modeling to sculpting without issues.

Edited by Ratchet
  • Thanks 3

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, RetopoBro said:

Hi,

I noticed when I click on the Retopo Shell button in the Retopo Room the mesh just disappears then reappears when I click a new button.

Tried it with faces selected first and without, same result.

To be honest, I don't think Retopo Shell is even supposed to be in the application. It was a beta tool a developer who no longer is with Pilgway, was working on. Andrew has since created a SHELL tool that does this job. I think the developers forgot to remove this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Poly modeling room This may have already been mentioned:

When clicking on the measure tool in the poly Modeling room the object disappears.

Object does not come back until you select another tool.

version 2021.B42 (GL64)

Steps to reproduce: create a primitive object

Click enter 

Click on Measure tool 

Edited by mash
addition

Poly modeling room Last tool selected is still selected when clicking  "New File"

version 2021.B42 (GL64)

Steps to reproduce: Open 3d coat 

Go to poly modeling room

3d primitive tool is already selected  and object is in center of the grid

Click enter to create the primitive

select knife or any other tool

Click "File New" (Ctrl-N)

go to poly modeling room 

Knife tool is still selected instead of 3d primitive as it is when you first start the program and enter the Modeling room

Poly modeling room : Standardization of tools

Cube primitive and some other primitives do not have sliding controls for Size

When uniform division is unchecked X, Y and Z divisions have a sliding scale < X >  where you just click and drag left and right to 

adjust the input. 

Size should have the same functionality  to keep tool usage and interface consistent.

Also Is it possible to have local versus World positioning for 3d primitives?

Edited by mash
addition

• Advanced Member

If this thread is a right place to submit new feature request based of 3d coat 2021 beta
I would like to ask:

Projector tool in the sculpt room
It would be very helpful if we could import cameras from 3th party softwares in abc, fbx, cam, etc.. file format. and use it as a projector.
In my workflow in VFX we very often have a plate images with specific FOV ( specyfied sensor size and focal length in mm) and we would like  to be able to model
in a 3d coat with projection from that specific camera angle in 3d space.

Is it possible to submit this feature request and how I would be able to know if it was approved or denied ?

Edited by MariuszKolo

Hello, 

New to the forum and was quite excited to test out the low poly feature coming to 2021. It may not be a big deal for other people and I know it is still being worked on. But I have been playing with the Extrude and the Spine Tool. I have hit every button to see if instead of having to hit the 'New Extrude' button I could get an extrude and didn't see that it was possible. Wouldn't it be more effective if the person could just hold the Ctrl button while clicking and pulling the end point to make a new extrude? I think it would add to the speed of modeling. But just throwing out a thought.

• Advanced Member
On 4/10/2021 at 7:38 AM, Scary M said:

If it helps ive been looking at the amount it offsets and it seem relative to the cursors position on the screen, The UI scales funny even more so in fullscreen is 3d coat running at some locked internal resolution or weird scaling? Like Half the resolution of my 4k monitor??

Thanks for this clue.  After testing, I think it's affected by Windows UI scaling.  I've confirmed that I can get Wintab to work properly on my 4K monitor if I set the UI Scaling to 100% in the Windows Display settings.  When I had mine set to 200% it scaled the brush location from my cursor by 200% from the top left corner, causing the offset.

@Andrew Shpagin hopefully this makes it easier to fix if you are still tracking this issue down.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Does anyone know how to use the Cross Section of the Loft Surface tool in Modeling-Room?

Even if I test it around, I'm not sure what this is or how it works.....

If i move it after adding a curve to the cross section, only the polygons are twisted and destroyed... :(

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic