3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

If we click 'Snap to Low Poly Vertices' is it possible to get that to translate into all tools (brush won't snap to vertices when placing 3D primitives with 'Click to Place enabled)

Also getting bizarre ghosted viewport geometry appearing while using the 'Cut' tool, which obscures the model

- Rich

Capture2.JPG

Edited by -rb-

• Contributor

Are the Linux and OSX builds coming soonish or are those builds expected not before some weeks or months yet?

I don't particularly mind to wait, but I could skip keeping track of threads like this until we get them. It surely looks promising this new 3DCoat.

Thanks in advance for any estimation given. :-)

Maybe this has been discussed before, but what happened to the Live Clay tool? It's one of my most used tools along with Clean Clay. Was it merged into another brush tool? I looked at some of the new Brush options and it looks kind of confusing.

• Like 1

On/Off state of 'Steady Stroke' in paint room is often ignored by Airbrush and Pen tools, acting like it's on even when it's not.

Also ran into a weird bug with the user interface where when a menu was dropped onto some other they all went into sort of animation where they slowly move upward until they're all squished at the top of the screen. Resizing also doesn't always work and it seems to get confused if you want to widen a menu or move up/down within it.

• Reputable Contributor
1 minute ago, philnolan3d said:

I must say. I really don't like the drop down box to change rooms. I'm often jumping around between rooms and having to click the box then find the one I want in a list is very annoying.

I think it can be OK, if there were a pop-up marking menu to select which room we wanted. This way, it would be an improvement. For now, though, I just use hotkeys, anyway.

23 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

I must say. I really don't like the drop down box to change rooms. I'm often jumping around between rooms

You can assign a hot key
For example, I have:
Alt -1 -> Modeling Room
Alt-2  -> Sculpt Room

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yousung said:

It’s not being controlled well as I want it to be,
Now that I have a sense of what it is, I'll have to play around with it

Thank you.
I think we will work more to simplify and improve the modeling tools.
Wait for your offers.

The Modeling and Sculpt room geometry link, some further nitpicking - changes in a Modeling object do not automatically propagate onto a linked Sculpt object. Both the Make Sculpt Mesh (Modeling room) and Conform Retopo Mesh (Sculpt room) are selected.

One has to hover over and click any of the drop-down menu tabs at the top of the UI in order for the changes to be updated.

The reverse action - Sculpt room changes propagated to a linked Modeling room object - usually work fine, although at rare occasions the link breaks altogether (despite the Make Sculpt Mesh and Conform Retopo Mesh selected).

• Advanced Member

bandicam 2021-04-17 23-58-21-036.jpg

After Merge Subtree, the mash breaks abnormally.

At first, I thought it was a problem with the Powerful Smoothing brush after performing Merge Subtree as in the video.

To upload a file for testing here
The result of saving and reopening the file check
There seems to be a problem with the Merge Subtree itself.

When it's running, it looks no problem, but after Merge Subtree, quit the program and open the file again, the mesh is broken.

▼ The file is here ▼
After copying the backup layers, test the merge sub-tree.

2021 Ruffle.3b

---
Edit 01 ) Merge Sub-tree test video has been added.

Edited by Yousung

• Advanced Member

It's fine when testing with simple shapes...:mellow:
I will further write down the situation when I worked on it.

1. Ruffle(frills?) creates polygons with the Loft Surface tool

2. After copying the Poly Groups made with the Loft Surface, I flipped one.
so i have two poly groups :
- PolyGroups1 (forth)
- PolyGroups2 (back)
// To give the thickness back and forth individually as much as I want..
// Shell or Extrude (one side) did not come out with the desired wrinkle thickness & shape, so I worked like this..

3. After pulling out each of the desired thickness using Smart Extrude - ( Mode:Extrude Faces ), the two Poly Groups were merged
Shift-Drag and Drop in Poly Groups panel ) and then the vertex was welded.

4. After performing Mesh-Make Sculpt Mesh in the top menu, I copied one sculpt object.

5. Arrange it in a circle in Sculpt-Room and touch the wrinkles with the Move tool (Through All Volumes ON).

6. I did a merge sub-tree.

7. And as stated above, things happened.

Edited by Yousung

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

I did not understand what the problem is.

Sorry for using the translator..

Because the Merge Sub-tree problem did not occur with simple shapes

I just wrote down if there were any problems in the process I was working on.

17.04.21 B43:

- If you will provide a normal map for the Smart Material the 3D-Coat will offer to convert it to the bump-map because materials require bump. This is a non-trivial operation, so it may take some time to convert for big maps.

- Draw with lines, spline chunk, curve segment, brush along curves work correctly.

- Generate moulds fixed for transformed objects

- Fixed problem when the user activates to the program by click and it triggers the random move.

- Style of color reference over the layer changed to be more convenient (rectangle instead of transparent bar)

- To Knife Added option Quadro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Awesome work guys! I'm really enjoying 3D Coat 2021, I continued to be impressed with your teams talent with 3d algorithms and 3d tool construction!

BUG:

In B43, in the modeling room the sculpt mesh is not updated when faces are modified on primitives. It appears to be correctly updated when vertices or edges are moved. Steps to recreate are to create a new primitive and select a single face and move it, the associated sculpt mesh is not updated. 

FEATURE REQUESTS for the modeling room:

1. Can we get Boolean operations on the "3D Primitives" tool window, just like we have in the sculpting room? So that when we add a new 3d primitive we can choose to add, subtract,  intersect  and split? My use case is primarily that I want intersection and subtraction tools.

2. Can we get a video tutorial for how to use the modeling new room? 

3. On the "Surface patch tool" it feels like it should default to at least having 1 curve selector opened vs having to hit the "+" button, when I first opened the tool it wasn't apparent to me that I needed to explicitly add a curve to it before I could use it. The loft surface tool feels like it has the same problem it opens but with no curve selectors to start with. 

4. I have no idea how to get the "Loft tool" in the modeling room to do anything, I wish it had a diagram or something, or like the "Surface by two view" could create a default starting shape to play with. I really like the preview shape that is created with the curve tools in the modeling room, it's helpful to see what shape you're gonna get. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

In B43 in the modeling room when working with the transform tool, and having the sculpt mesh on, the mesh is not immediately updated after a scale operation or rotate operation, only the move operation seems to immediately cause the mesh to be updated. 

In B43 in the modeling room, if you are working with symmetry on and have an extruded face and move the extruded face across the symmetry plane, any vertices which cross the symmetry plan will get stuck there even if you have not completed the movement.

In this example I'm playing with extruding legs from a torso, After you select the faces, if you hit enter to extrude new faces, and if any part of the new face crosses the symmetry plane than the vertices that crossed it get stuck there, and you cannot recover from this error, afterwards it appears the undo buffer gets corrupted. 

image.png.c29c33dcde32757d5f4927b6c381f46a.png

Effectively you cannot pull the stuck part of the face away from the symmetry plane. 

image.png.0d093ed0e0982c8953f90f2563d70afd.png

Edited by celer
Added additional details

This also happens if you have a center line on the symmetry plane, imagine you wanted to try to extrude two symmetrical legs from faces adjoined at the symmetry plane, because the vertices which touch the symmetry plane get stuck there you can't have two separate legs. 

• Reputable Contributor

When opening a large project in 3d-Coat by double clicking on the .3b file from windows file explorer, there is a painful, frustrating period during which the splash screen appears "always on top" and obscures a large part of the screen making it difficult/impossible to use those seconds to continue what you wanted to do in the file explorer, like opening reference files and whatnot.
This seems to be a little better now in 2021 than it was in 4.9 because the loading time seems faster.
However, there is a new annoyance : after the initial splash screen closes, a second one opens with all the options, which you need to close before 3d-Coat resumes loading (which may account for the seemingly faster loading time initially).

These seconds could be productive, and the extra click removed...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'm really curious, i can use the software but... why was it made so complicated?

why is the process of modelling something simple so long winded?

why cant you select what mesh you want to work on inside the viewport?

why is binding keys such a long process... I've been using for a year now and I still find myself going back to blender simply tools and sculpting just because 3dc likes to jump sometimes
surely it can be made simpler , even software like zbrush has started simplifying its tools and ui to be more user friendly

the easier it is to pick up the more attraction it would get.. that's just my 2p's worth.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

I'm really curious, i can use the software but... why was it made so complicated?

why is the process of modelling something simple so long winded?

why cant you select what mesh you want to work on inside the viewport?

why is binding keys such a long process... I've been using for a year now and I still find myself going back to blender simply tools and sculpting just because 3dc likes to jump sometimes
surely it can be made simpler , even software like zbrush has started simplifying its tools and ui to be more user friendly

the easier it is to pick up the more attraction it would get.. that's just my 2p's worth.

There's hotkey H to pick mesh directly inside the viewport.

Funny I choose 3d coat because I think it's easy to use.  Big plus sculpting in blender is that I can pose multiple poses of a character with bones, then adjust mesh with shape keys.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:11 AM, Gorbatovsky said:

You can assign a hot key
For example, I have:
Alt -1 -> Modeling Room
Alt-2  -> Sculpt Room

True but I'm not often working right by my keyboard , usually sitting back with the Wacom in my lap so I'd be constantly reaching away from the tablet and sitting up every time I want to change rooms. That's even slower than the menu.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic