3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Haha, that might be problematic in a studio. 20 people constantly saying things like "Hey three D coat, open the sculpt room".

Sounds like a good way to promote the software.

• Haha 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Ha!
Now I understand why voice commands are needed.

For me too reaching out for keyboard is painful because it means letting go of wacom and 3d mouse.

But, voice commands are also a way to solve some of the shortcomings of 3d-Coat.
what I mean is for example in 4.9 3dc never remembers the latest alpha/stroke mode combination for the grow tool. It remembers an old combination and decides randomly every few weeks to remember a new one.
A voice command to call the grow tool can solve that by performing a series of actions to set up the tool correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts are nice for users with mouse/keyboard, sure, but they each do only one thing at a time.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, animk said:

There's hotkey H to pick mesh directly inside the viewport.

Funny I choose 3d coat because I think it's easy to use.  Big plus sculpting in blender is that I can pose multiple poses of a character with bones, then adjust mesh with shape keys.

aww nice! actually did not know that.. doesn't say it anywhere either thank you

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

aww nice! actually did not know that.. doesn't say it anywhere either thank you

You can also hover over your mesh and tap the f key to reset the camera pivot.   

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

For me too reaching out for keyboard is painful because it means letting go of wacom and 3d mouse.

But, voice commands are also a way to solve some of the shortcomings of 3d-Coat.
what I mean is for example in 4.9 3dc never remembers the latest alpha/stroke mode combination for the grow tool. It remembers an old combination and decides randomly every few weeks to remember a new one.
A voice command to call the grow tool can solve that by performing a series of actions to set up the tool correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts are nice for users with mouse/keyboard, sure, but they each do only one thing at a time.

Working with a Wacom Cintique presents its own challenges and having voice commands would solve about 90% of them.

• Reputable Contributor
24 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Does that work for you ? it never worked on my machine and the guy never responded on his forum thread.
Besides, it is single commands, you can't batch actions with it, or can you ?

I use VoiceAttack which costs 10 dollars or so.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Does that work for you ? it never worked on my machine and the guy never responded on his forum thread.
Besides, it is single commands, you can't batch actions with it, or can you ?

I use VoiceAttack which costs 10 dollars or so.

Thanks, the price is right on VoiceAttack. Can you batch actions on VA?

https://voiceattack.com/Default.aspx

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, welcomerobots said:

Smart retopo 'destroys' random parts of already existing topology. The effect is the more intense the further is the object in the viewport.

2021-04-20_13h09_29.gif

Weld threshold is likely too high, as Gorbatovsky mentioned and is mentioned in the video about the feature (toward the end)

• Contributor

Hi!

The test period ends in 10 days. Does anybody know what comes after this? I would like to continue working with 2021. Will the beta be extended, or can I reinstall it etc..?

(I have a recent license for 4.9, but like you said the upgrades will come with the final release.)

Have a nice Day!

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Advanced Member

i know this would be a huge amount of work and just thinking about it would annoy me but.....

what if each tool on 3dc had a button bind to it lets say i for info and it brings up a youtube video of how to use that tool 

this would help so much for new users 

also not sure if this is possible someone might be able to help me... but can you use the cut out tool and a depth into the mesh and not just cutout the whole section into the selection box

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i know this would be a huge amount of work and just thinking about it would annoy me but.....

what if each tool on 3dc had a button bind to it lets say i for info and it brings up a youtube video of how to use that tool 

this would help so much for new users 

also not sure if this is possible someone might be able to help me... but can you use the cut out tool and a depth into the mesh and not just cutout the whole section into the selection box

I just want documentation on the order of Rhino's if not Houdini's.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/

http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/index.htm

The current help for 3D coat just doesn't cut it.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 5

• Advanced Member
On 4/9/2021 at 5:17 AM, carrots said:

Fixed, in the next build will work

Awesome! thank you! Now everything is ok. But the another question is - when IPR will work? 

Edited by artofcharly

• Advanced Member

Hi, dear developers.

Recently on Feb 21,2021 I recorded this video for Alexander and Stanislav and now they advised to throw it here, because this is a better place =)

The main task, I have asked for a long time to add, is to make it possible to infinitely blur strokes to blend tones, as in Maya. Why am I not doing this in Maya? Because there are still problems with UDIM unwraps, and yet it's more convenient for me to draw masks and do texturing in 3D-Coat.

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

169435284_717084568988152_6402260599971950770_n.jpg

Hi,

Couple old bugs that have been around for a very long time in older versions. And are still in the latest version of 2021.

When using the curved stroke, hovering over a point and right clicking no longer changes the point to sharp. Thats a really old one.

And in the modeling and Retopo Rooms - Selecting a face and hitting the shell command deletes the entire mesh except the selected face,  When I say shell command I'm speaking of the one in the selected section which is right below the intrude command.

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, sprayer said:

@artofcharly you can blur with shift, if you want more blur just increase radius of brush. There is also coloring tool with more smoothing on painted pixels

22.gif

Hm. So I tried to increase the Radius and this didn't help... =(

Video:

Edited by artofcharly
added a video with my test

@sprayer Turn off texture filtering and see what it's actually doing. Blur brush only samples up to a specific (very small) pixel radius, the sampling doesn't expand with a larger brush only the number of pixels that blur is being applied to (so at the higher the texture resolution the more its effects diminish over a given area). People have been asking for Pilgway/Andrew to fix the blur brush for probably a decade atp. I've tested it on the latest beta and it's still got the same problems as ever.

In fact, I've brought up this exact same issue myself several times over the years, and even reposted about it again a little over a week ago over here: 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, talos72 said:

I can confirm the weird offset issue with my Cintiq.  The yellow circle indicating the tip of the pen in 3DC is offset by inches.  This issue doesn't exist in official 3DC released.  

If you are on a 4k monitor with UI scaling.  That will be the source of the problem.  If you either set the resolution to normal HD or set the UI scaling to 100% in the Windows display settings it is a temporary solution.

• Thanks 1