3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Contributor
On 4/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, Ctc_nick said:

Hi!

The test period ends in 10 days. Does anybody know what comes after this? I would like to continue working with 2021. Will the beta be extended, or can I reinstall it etc..?

(I have a recent license for 4.9, but like you said the upgrades will come with the final release.)

Have a nice Day!

Ha! For anyone having the same Problem. The Beta Updates are found at the beginning of the Thread...Why does nobody answer my stupid questions? :P

28.04.21 B45

- UV-tools updated, preciseness of ABF/LSCM/GU improved, it respects symmetry better.

- Click over the UV window activates the Seams tool if you are not in UV tools. In this way click over the UV window has sense.

- RMB over islands in UV window works correctly.

- Languages correction system updated, the page in the browser will open, you are able to use the browser's spellchecking tools (like Grammarly).

- Pose selection works correctly with transformed volumes and stencils.

- Fixed UV tools in the Modeling room.

- Gizmo-less transform updated, see the description in Edit->Transform without gizmo.

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

28.04.21 B45

- UV-tools updated, preciseness of ABF/LSCM/GU improved, it respects symmetry better.

- Click over the UV window activates the Seams tool if you are not in UV tools. In this way click over the UV window has sense.

- RMB over islands in UV window works correctly.

- Languages correction system updated, the page in the browser will open, you are able to use the browser's spellchecking tools (like Grammarly).

- Pose selection works correctly with transformed volumes and stencils.

- Fixed UV tools in the Modeling room.

- Gizmo-less transform updated, see the description in Edit->Transform without gizmo.

Andrew, is there a Google Drive folder because the download speed is slow as frozen molasses.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Using Voxel mode  > ClayEngine> Vox.Buildup my computer freezes, does this happen to someone else ?

Vox.Build.jpg

I have noticed that when switching to the Vox. Buildup tool the radius some times resets to 0. causing an out of memory Fatal Error if you try to sculpt/draw over a model rapidly.

• Thanks 1

1.05.21 B47

- Fixed little holes in voxel brush engine.

- Possibility to change mapping/thumbnails style in smart material via RMB for the whole folder.

- Possibly some changes announced in previous build was not present there, son now everything included there.

- The style of layers/tree items coloring changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Contributor

Hello,

I would like to bring some attention to this behavior of the Strokes tool in the Retopo workspace. I am wondering if it works as intended3DCoatGL64_gobH7mPSL4.thumb.jpg.9e51c03001a5ef0b39c6ba08e11bbe47.jpg
To start, selecting Strokes tool → Selecting Closed Spine draw mode
3DCoatGL64_X5tkSYmH3Z.thumb.jpg.c6eeb288f6191c9f8275f077305bcd87.jpg
I can draw a closed contour using the curves tool, then hitting enter will draw an (almost) closed contour stroke
fqCRMWmKaF.thumb.jpg.b8087096c2fccb4d90c385dc0f42a0b9.jpg
This is well and good. But the same for an "open curve" like so:
pcoZh12HHi.thumb.jpg.e81097066b04e06843823fa248f5c2b3.jpg
Produces nothing:
USrs62UTgi.thumb.jpg.9f4c17219cea03033cb68bec94c450de.jpg

If the tool is intended to perhaps only be used "normally" without curves, I can understand, but otherwise I would like to ask if it is intended
that the Curves can also be used with the Strokes tool.

This is more anecdotal, not pertaining to my question:
The reason I would attempt such a workflow, is I find drawing topology with the curves is much easier to see and modify, versus the default spline or brush-drawing behavior in the Strokes tool.

I am by no means visually impaired, but in my opinion, the thin green splines versus the strong red outline of the curves tools, the curves are much easier to see and better lends to pre-visualizing the geometry before it is placed.

The green splines also feel very "temporary" — Whereas curves remain in curves tree until deleted.

If I had the choice, drawing "Strokes" with the Curves tools would be the preferred option.
Thank you for your time and attention. 3DCoat 2021 is fantastic, congratulations to the entire team.

19 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Using Voxel mode  > ClayEngine> Vox.Buildup my computer freezes, does this happen to someone else ?

Vox.Build.jpg

I havent tried B47 yet, but brush engine crashes the programe in B45 (not in earlier versions), not just vox build up but all of them. Screenfreezes and then often crashes out of 3dcoat

• Thanks 1

Extra parallel lines when switching from one monitor to another -

Hello,

I have downloaded the BETA 3DCOAT 2021. Just started the  program and was going through the quick start tutorial but when I  moved the program from my primary  window display to my  Huion tablet, (Kamvas GT 191-2), I get  at least three extra black parallel lines in the main interface window. When I hover over them  I get an arrow and the parallel lines can be moved to the left / right.  Furthermore, when I move and reset that actual brush panel on the right more black parallel lines appear. The lines remain even  after returning to the main monitor window. 

On 4/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

We will give the beta license or make a special build, so don't worry about the trial end.

Are we going to see the Mac beta before release...?

Or will it just be released at final build.

Thanks.

• Advanced Member
On 4/22/2021 at 12:22 PM, Silas Merlin said:

Yes, but you have to set everything up yourself and there is a learning curve.

Thanks a lot for the advice on this software. I just bought it tonight and it's going to make working in 3D Coat with the Wacom Cintique a lot easier, a lot more fluid and intuitive work flow.  It really works well; voice recognition has gone a long way

Crrw3fn.png

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
56 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Thanks a lot for the advice on this software. I just bought it tonight and it's going to make working in 3D Coat with the Wacom Cintique a lot easier, a lot more fluid and intuitive work flow.  It really works well; voice recognition has gone a long way

It becomes even more useful for performing a series of actions but there are pitfalls specific to 3d-Coat such as the inability to lock the ui. It is too easy to resize a panel by mistake, which makes using mouse clicks in your voice commands somewhat unreliable. A solution is to periodically restore workspace (with a voice command).
There is a discord server for the software with very reactive people helping you, (it is expected that you read the manual first).
I highly recommand having a separate profile loading at startup and performing a "stop listening" action. Otherwise any voice or sound in your workspace will trigger your commands.
Once VA is "not listening", you need to go into the options of your 3d-Coat profile and do something like this :
image.png.c379f44b0ca1f578b370b887fe83fed9.png

In this example, if I want to perform an action, let's say "toggle symmetry", then I need to say "Computer, toggle symmetry" for the command to be recognized.
This might sound cumbersome but it becomes rather natural with time, and removes the possibility of disasters occuring due to commands being performed by mistake due to ambient sounds.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

It becomes even more useful for performing a series of actions but there are pitfalls specific to 3d-Coat such as the inability to lock the ui. It is too easy to resize a panel by mistake, which makes using mouse clicks in your voice commands somewhat unreliable. A solution is to periodically restore workspace (with a voice command).
There is a discord server for the software with very reactive people helping you, (it is expected that you read the manual first).
I highly recommand having a separate profile loading at startup and performing a "stop listening" action. Otherwise any voice or sound in your workspace will trigger your commands.
Once VA is "not listening", you need to go into the options of your 3d-Coat profile and do something like this :
image.png.c379f44b0ca1f578b370b887fe83fed9.png

In this example, if I want to perform an action, let's say "toggle symmetry", then I need to say "Computer, toggle symmetry" for the command to be recognized.
This might sound cumbersome but it becomes rather natural with time, and removes the possibility of disasters occuring due to commands being performed by mistake due to ambient sounds.

Right now my favorite command is "interface". All the panels just disappear allowing me a totally empty viewing area. It's much nicer just to call up the various tools and other panels individually by name at need. And calling "interface" can toggle them all back in their pristine default form. This is going to go a long way in overcoming my distaste for the wading through the clutter of all the tools that really deserve to be learned and mastered. And it so much easier to have one meaningful word to remember over a bunch of abstruse key combinations to learn, you know, like in Blender and Zbrush. Click fests are the enemy of making art.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Right now my favorite command is "interface". All the panels just disappear allowing me a totally empty viewing area. It's much nicer just to call up the various tools and other panels individually by name at need. And calling "interface" can toggle them all back in their pristine default form. This is going to go a long way in overcoming my distaste for the wading through the clutter of all the tools that really deserve to be learned and mastered. And it so much easier to have one meaningful word to remember over a bunch of abstruse key combinations to learn, you know, like in Blender and Zbrush. Click fests are the enemy of making art.

I like that too but the trouble with hiding the ui with TAB which is what I suppose you are doing, is that the options panel refuses to vanish under some circumstances, and it even appears when it was initially not present, in the render room for instance. I don't suppose this has changed in 2021 ?

13 hours ago, RootBSD said:

Hi,

I have a bug when I want to use my stylus. You can see this video to see my issue. I only draw a couple of "2" but 3dcoat does not detect properly the end of the drawing and links the "2" even if my stylus does not touch the screen between each draw.

I don't have the issue on 3dcoat v4.9.72.

https://vimeo.com/545674453/a557f482f7

P.

if it can help for the debugging: my video was done on a Surface Book directly on the screen (not multi-screen).
This morning I was able to test on a XP-Pen (dual screen), and the issue is the same.

P.