3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

2 hours ago, kenmo said:

Any thoughts on 3DC 2021 for automotive modeling?

Yes, we have a lot of plans!

2 hours ago, kenmo said:

I've modeled some hot rods using Silo3D & Heagon3D

What we could borrow from these applications,  for car modeling?

Speaking of car modeling. I've been starting to learn Gravity Sketch, which is apparently used by a lot of car designers in the automobile industry. Any thoughts on bringing 3DC to VR in some way? I'd love to see it on the Quest 2.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Gradient (Soft) Selection would be the first. It is to modeling tools what a Cordless Drill is to a Carpenter. Yes, you could work with a hand-held screw driver, but why (when it takes so much longer)? To model automobiles, gradient selection is an absolute "Must-Have."

Booleans (Live) would be the next "Must-Have" for serious Low Poly modeling:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

For any apps please test responsive display speed. 

I do not know why currently all actions have a delay when you press the mouse or use any command, until the action is performed.

Fast responsive app experience is very needed to design.

Is there a way to mask out polygons from the smooth mesh subdivision operation? Currently using sharp edges but the polygons still try to snap to the reference mesh when applying the smooth operation, I also need some of the polygons to snap to the reference mesh so i cant turn snapping off

On 5/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, stas3dc said:

Sorry, we forgot to add Iges & Moulding to the Beta test license as they will be sold as separate Extra Modules. Now we added that functionality to the new Beta test license. Please download the new license here and you will be able to make Iges curves import.

ense

- Still not working...Sorry again this seems quite chaotic...If it's working over there could you show a grab of what should be happening? Thanks 

// Rich

I think it would be a great idea to add an edge weight slider for lines to the Modelling Room that affects the Sculpt Mesh. This would be so helpful (also a must-have tool in most low poly / sub d environments)

// Rich 

• Thanks 1

Super excited by the mould tool. Will take me a while before I'll be able to test it (as my main workstation is Linux only), but if it works as it should this will be a game changer.

Had a chance to take a peek at new version - I was pleasantly surprised to see that default vp settings in sculpt room are better than before, better suited for sculpting. Not a fan of new icons and the interface still looks crowded and a tad messy. But I'm extremely happy to see that UI is much more customizable now - definitely a good direction and when final release is out I'll definitely spend some time working on my own "rooms".
In general this quick peek I had was quite positive - didn't encounter any issues I got while using latest v4 builds.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

For any apps please test responsive display speed. 

I do not know why currently all actions have a delay when you press the mouse or use any command, until the action is performed.

Fast responsive app experience is very needed to design.

and UI also have ma ny glitches, like double clicks or self pressing menu. Some space between tools what gives you to highlight on two tools at the same time. It's all slowing down work.
On hover glitch i clicked only two times on menu and on clear, but it opens menu on mouse hover itself

hoverGlitch.gif

selfclick.gif

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean or what you are asking.

I wonder  - is it possible to add presets to quick access menu? That was one of my main gripes with 3dc - I wasn't a fan of default settings for previous brush engine (haven't tested the new one so can't tell much about it), some of the presets were IMO better, but at the same time I didn't use them much as those were "hidden" in separate menu.

• Advanced Member
On 5/17/2021 at 12:29 AM, philnolan3d said:

Speaking of car modeling. I've been starting to learn Gravity Sketch, which is apparently used by a lot of car designers in the automobile industry. Any thoughts on bringing 3DC to VR in some way? I'd love to see it on the Quest 2.

Have no interest at ALL in Gravity Sketch and that funky VR headset and other stuff. It's not for me. My question was directed soley towards 3DCoat 2021. So not sure why you would drag Gravity Sketch into a thread on 3DC 2021.

18 minutes ago, kenmo said:

Have no interest at ALL in Gravity Sketch and that funky VR headset and other stuff. It's not for me. My question was directed soley towards 3DCoat 2021. So not sure why you would drag Gravity Sketch into a thread on 3DC 2021.

Because car modeling came up, as I said GS is used a lot for that so I was reminded of my question. It's a public forum you know,  every post isn't a reply to you.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

There is a problem with Voxclay.  Someone else reported earlier, but I haven't heard many other mentions.  This is what I get.

GIF 2021-05-19 12-02-05 AM.gif

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 1:10 AM, kenmo said:

orry but I'm not sure what you mean or what you are asking.

What tools should we do to make it easy for you to model a car in 3DCoat.
Don't limit yourself to fantasies. I'm serious.
We are currently finalizing the surface patch tool.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

I think this is great.  Can I put you in touch with some people that I know who make cars in Modo and other programs?  I think their input would be valuable as well.  I don't think they use 3D  Coat, but they work on cars professionally.  Not CAD based, but polygon based.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:29 PM, philnolan3d said:

There was a brief mention of bringing VR into 3DCoat in this interview from 2018:

https://www.cgtrader.com/blog/pilgway-talk-about-the-ethics-in-3d-and-hint-at-a-new-major-release-of-3dcoat-in-the-next-12-months-2018-05

Apparently those plans were abandoned however in favor of the new features of this 2021 version.

There are a number of great benefits to be had with VR for speeding up certain aspects of the modeling and sculpting process. I'd love to discuss it in-depth but that's maybe a subject for a separate thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorbatovsky said:

If there was a way to align a profile shape to an edge when doing a sweep like I asked about on the previous page of the thread it would be of great advantage when doing car modeling for sweeping trim pieces precisely where they need to be. 

If what I'm describing is not understandable I'll be happy to post some images to explain it better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wizardkiss said:

There was a brief mention of bringing VR into 3DCoat in this interview from 2018:

https://www.cgtrader.com/blog/pilgway-talk-about-the-ethics-in-3d-and-hint-at-a-new-major-release-of-3dcoat-in-the-next-12-months-2018-05

Apparently those plans were abandoned however in favor of the new features of this 2021 version.

There are a number of great benefits to be had with VR for speeding up certain aspects of the modeling and sculpting process. I'd love to discuss it in-depth but that's maybe a subject for a separate thread.

Thanks and yes I agree.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Wizardkiss said:

If there was a way to align a profile shape to an edge when doing a sweep like I asked about on the previous page of the thread it would be of great advantage when doing car modeling for sweeping trim pieces precisely where they need to be. 

If what I'm describing is not understandable I'll be happy to post some images to explain it better.

Do you mean something like curve snap to vertex? Could be good. This is what I got when fiddling around.

image.thumb.png.bc52a38e66ab82c003d2be686d68ed81.png

1 hour ago, Wizardkiss said:

Thank you.
It would be nice if you could make some pictures for us.

6 hours ago, gbball said:

There is a problem with Voxclay.  Someone else reported earlier, but I haven't heard many other mentions.  This is what I get.

GIF 2021-05-19 12-02-05 AM.gif

Happens for me also

- Rich

Edited by -rb-
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thank you.
It would be nice if you could make some pictures for us.

OK, this is what I was trying to figure out. The goal would be to sweep a profile somehow so that it aligns precisely with the the edge of a geometry object as shown in the first image. This is needed to make architectural moulding on buildings, or ogee bevels on furniture, or many other uses. In some apps such as Modo and Blender it can be done with their bevel tools which support custom profiles. In Blender you can also convert a geometry line to a curve then sweep a profile along the curve and do it that way as well.

cornice3.png.223ae26f395acdfb25a3124f305cb4ee.png

Here is an image showing the difficulty I've had in trying to do it in 3DCoat:

sweep3.thumb.png.9da03cef7f01e0a0897034681c2b8cda.png

This is how a program called FormZ does it, which illustrates very clearly the desired effect. Note the different alignment options seen at around 45 seconds:

Edited by Wizardkiss
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Do you mean something like curve snap to vertex? Could be good. This is what I got when fiddling around.

image.thumb.png.bc52a38e66ab82c003d2be686d68ed81.png

I'm not sure I understand what is being shown there, but the image you posted doesn't look like what I was trying to do. Thanks for the reply though.

• Advanced Member

Maybe developers make the poll for new features?

Because i really do not understand people asking Nurbs in sculpt software, they adding that but this is unfriendly and lack many feature what other software have, you can make this in blender etc and import in 3dcoat. Now people want it VR. Really? Vr platform not popular even for games, too expensive and you want this for designers. And you want it for 3d coat what even less people are using. There is many work in 3dcoat what to do, it have many bugs or at least features from zbrush like micropoly for example