3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

On 5/16/2021 at 11:36 PM, Gorbatovsky said:

What we could borrow from these applications,  for car modeling?

Alias, Fusion 360 are CAD modelers 

Rhino Nurbs Modeling 

Do you want to add CAD support or will it always be based on surface modeling?

Do you want to continue in the entertainment area or also to offer industrial design not only for cars (transportation) but also for jewelry (as an example), or other industries ?

1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

Please just concentrate on fixing existing broken features!!

Please give a list of bugs by room modeling and retopo.
We are discussing the next phase of the 2021 release.

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Wizardkiss said:

OK, this is what I was trying to figure out. The goal would be to sweep a profile somehow so that it aligns precisely with the the edge of a geometry object as shown in the first image. 

What I was trying to show was, if you turn off 'Auto Orient' the Sweep jumps directly to the Profile. So it is already in place. For me that works better for precise alignment. You can also move the Profile interactivly. Form Z.. when I was studiing architecture some students were using it. Great program.

image.thumb.png.abf71964f2b2b5cce5ad1cc2f8b5c1a4.png

(And for precision it could be good if the Curve points could snap to poly vertices or edges)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Please give a list of bugs by room modeling and retopo.
We are discussing the next phase of the 2021 release.

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php 

Category: Retopo Room 

Resolution: Open

RetopoBugs.xls

When editing spline points in Modeling and Retopo spaces, the right-click toggling of spline point type activates another pop-up menu which obscures the work area. This doesn't occur in the Sculpt and Paint space.

Since this right-click toggle functionality is fast and useful for modeling with the new splines, perhaps a workaround could be found like a possibility of assigning a keyboard shortcut to it? That way, one could quickly adjust the spline shape features without having to jump into another work space to avoid these distractions.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, stas3dc said:

Sorry, we forgot to add Iges & Moulding to the Beta test license as they will be sold as separate Extra Modules. Now we added that functionality to the new Beta test license. Please download the new license here and you will be able to make Iges curves import.

ense

Is there a way to feature request that if the bug has been 'fixed'...It's actually confirmed fixed before being ignored :/

- Rich 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 5/19/2021 at 12:28 AM, philnolan3d said:

Because car modeling came up, as I said GS is used a lot for that so I was reminded of my question. It's a public forum you know,  every post isn't a reply to you.

My 3D car modeling was specific to 3DCoat 2021 new modeling tools. I was not asking a general question about car modeling.

Sorry I did not mean to be rude as I thought this thread was all about 3DCoat 2021 and not 3D modeling in general. So should I post a question about MOI3D or Blender's Hardops Add-on? 

3 hours ago, kenmo said:

So should I post a question about MOI3D or Blender's Hardops Add-on? 

We're discussing new tools here.
And it will be good to hear suggestions that will help improve the tools and simplify the modeling.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

We're discussing new tools here.
And it will be good to hear suggestions that will help improve the tools and simplify the modeling.

For modeling tools 3dcoat lack non destructive workflow.
Would be great to have something like this. Every object can be edited and adjusted smooth edges at any time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kenmo said:

My 3D car modeling was specific to 3DCoat 2021 new modeling tools. I was not asking a general question about car modeling.

Sorry I did not mean to be rude as I thought this thread was all about 3DCoat 2021 and not 3D modeling in general. So should I post a question about MOI3D or Blender's Hardops Add-on? 

It could be possible that parts of 3DC, or even the whole thing, could be made to work in VR. I don't know, so I ask. I tell you, it's really cool to be able to walk around your model while you're working on it. Especially a car model. You really get a sense of scale like you can't do on a 2D screen.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 4/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, Carlosan said:

There is no modelling room category in your mantis bug tracker that I can see. I already reported a ton of bugs with the modelling room previously but cant find them on mantis.

28 minutes ago, Grimmy said:

I already reported a ton of bugs with the modelling room

According to your comments, we have fixed a lot of errors for the extrude tool. Thank you.
Except for this Faces are unselectable in the smart extrude.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

There is no modelling room category in your mantis bug tracker that I can see. I already reported a ton of bugs with the modelling room previously but cant find them on mantis.

Try again please, remember to select version 2021 project

image_2021-05-21_115434.png

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

This is a tool feature/suggestion that I previously e-mailed to developers, but I would like to present it again here, in hopes users can weigh in also and for clarity

I'll try keep it short, and include some pictures to convey the idea.
To summarize: Using "Bend Along Curve" command with retopo geometry in Modeling or Retopo workspace

I will show in Sculpt workspace, how Bend Tool works currently. • You have a model, ideally the "longest side" points in world up direction • Select sculpt model, RMB curve and "Bend Model" →  New instance of geometry appeared that is bent along the curve • Tool options provide many parameters, such as no. of objects, et cetera.

Suggestion is: To be able to perform this same "Bend Model" operation with polygroups or retopo models in the Modeling workspace as well, e.g. bend geometry with quads topology preserved around curve, and get parameters such as no. of objects et cetera.

Thanks for your consideration and time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

It could be possible that parts of 3DC, or even the whole thing, could be made to work in VR. I don't know, so I ask. I tell you, it's really cool to be able to walk around your model while you're working on it. Especially a car model. You really get a sense of scale like you can't do on a 2D screen.

It certainly does sound cool. But the cost of the VR hardware is a big concern for a near 70 year old retiree like myself. I've always enjoyed your youtube channel. I hope you have some tutorials on Gravity Sketch like you did on 3D scanners.

Cheers

Kenmo

21.05.21 B49

- 3DConnexion support rewritten to work exactly as in other applications that support space mouse. Now almost all settings are controlled via device control panel, navigation is precise and accurate.

- 3D-Connexion device may be used to transform/place objects, see the Edit->Transform->Transform with 3d-Connexion.

- Now it is possible to use 3D-Mouse with transform tools, primitives, models merging, pose selection transforms.

- Even more - primitives in voxel mode has "Trace mode" to paint directly in 3d space with 3d-mouse or gizmo.

Short video (just for info, it will be remade) - https://youtu.be/w10_2Cesaps

- Fixed reproject tool (was not working with pen drawing).

- Fixed memory lack crash during the decimation command of huge scenes.

- Essential instability in sculpting with brush engine fixed.

- Fixed strange issue when ptex tool activates in custom sculpt-based new rooms

- Moulding tuned to work faster, at least in limited time for complex cases. Look the video, the quality is low (will be remade) but describes most essential points - https://youtu.be/Zhj4XUqSTb0

- Fixed Quick start (Tutorial missіons) section "Primitives".

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kenmo said:

It certainly does sound cool. But the cost of the VR hardware is a big concern for a near 70 year old retiree like myself. I've always enjoyed your youtube channel. I hope you have some tutorials on Gravity Sketch like you did on 3D scanners.

Cheers

Kenmo

Thanks I would like to once I get to know it better. Meanwhile Glen Southern does some really good tutorials on it. Anyway, back to 3DC.

18 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

21.05.21 B49

Short video (just for info, it will be remade) - https://youtu.be/w10_2Cesaps

- Moulding tuned to work faster, at least in limited time for complex cases. Look the video, the quality is low (will be remade) but describes most essential points - https://youtu.be/Zhj4XUqSTb0

//edit 

It is working now

Video.jpg

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Can't reproduce it. What tool used?

Vox Clay.   It happens on any of the default primitives after starting up.

• Advanced Member
55 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

Thanks I would like to once I get to know it better. Meanwhile Glen Southern does some really good tutorials on it. Anyway, back to 3DC.

I enjoyed Glen's Silo3D tutorials.

So what would be the basic cost for the VR hardware required for Gravity Sketch?

Edited by kenmo

https://s3.amazonaws.com/img0.recordit.co/rzYIWAcRAm.mp4?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAUQ5RURZ7ND2T2B6I&Expires=1621636761&Signature=K1mV1MxmLRFi%2BqCORuVOxiUHDiQ%3D

Although I am using the "4,9,72" version, this Flatten tool bug is disgusting! What to do about it?

Pits appear regardless of the thickness of the material in any mode, be it voxels or surface.

Edited by Barrel

• Reputable Contributor

Tested latest build just now.
my guess is that the trouble I am having is because my 3d mouse is the original SpaceNavigator, the first model.
Despite the fact that when downloading drivers, the 3dconnexion website tells me to download the current driver. It just doesn't work with 3d !Coat 2021 beta.

This time I can't even tell if the navigation works, because 3d-Coat does not take into account any of the settings I have in the device's control panel. none.
So, since now the settings are to be edited there and not in 3d-Coat preferences... I can't change anything :)

Sad to say, but I am perfectly happy with 4.9
Yes, there are bugs but none of them are critical as far as I am concerned.
what worries me is that the beta tools will eventually be disabled, and I rely on some of them heavily.

I realize all the hard work to make 2021 happen and I do wish I could use some of the new cool things... but, I was wondering, would it be possible to make it so that when you eventually buy a 2021 license, that license enables you to keep using beta tools in 4.9 ? This is probably too much to ask ?