3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Where is that tool? Is it an old one? I see no such tool in the new voxel toolset.

image.thumb.png.da517c6c7cecd6d082e00a4d593e00f0.png

7 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Tested latest build just now.
my guess is that the trouble I am having is because my 3d mouse is the original SpaceNavigator, the first model.
Despite the fact that when downloading drivers, the 3dconnexion website tells me to download the current driver. It just doesn't work with 3d !Coat 2021 beta.

This time I can't even tell if the navigation works, because 3d-Coat does not take into account any of the settings I have in the device's control panel. none.
So, since now the settings are to be edited there and not in 3d-Coat preferences... I can't change anything :)

Sad to say, but I am perfectly happy with 4.9
Yes, there are bugs but none of them are critical as far as I am concerned.
what worries me is that the beta tools will eventually be disabled, and I rely on some of them heavily.

I realize all the hard work to make 2021 happen and I do wish I could use some of the new cool things... but, I was wondering, would it be possible to make it so that when you eventually buy a 2021 license, that license enables you to keep using beta tools in 4.9 ? This is probably too much to ask ?

Of course, my purpose is to make it work correctly. Enabling 49 forever is possible, but very last solution.

Does any settings in 3d mouse settings influence on 3d-coat? At least any - hotkeys, disabling pan, lock horizon, speed changes....

Exactly, what model do you use?

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Of course, my purpose is to make it work correctly. Enabling 49 forever is possible, but very last solution.

Does any settings in 3d mouse settings influence on 3d-coat? At least any - hotkeys, disabling pan, lock horizon, speed changes....

Exactly, what model do you use?

Very difficult to test anything because all directions are inversed.
yesterday on first install of B49 I could at least move in space. reinstalled today and now I can only rotate the view. None of the settings in 3dx properties seem to have any effect. speed, buttons, advanced properties... and "lock horizon" does not appear anywhere.

Model : 3dx-600028 (Spacenavigator)  Firmware : 4.31

One guy in our team has an older 3d mouse, I asked him to investigate. He pressed the left button and was able to get to 3dconnexion settings related to 3D-coat.

There he set "Object mode" in settings and then all worked exactly as expected. Otherwise, navigation was like from the first person (camera mode), which is incorrect.

• Advanced Member
On 5/21/2021 at 3:57 AM, sprayer said:

For modeling tools 3dcoat lack non destructive workflow.
Would be great to have something like this. Every object can be edited and adjusted smooth edges at any time

The great thing about Mesh Fusion (AKA Groboto) is that it makes bevels and chamfers on complex objects available when used with polygons for the first time. Previously only NURBS and BREP had that power. Of course it's not quite as mathematically precise as NURBS or BREP but for people working in polygonal  or subD modelling it doesn't have to be.  Mesh Fusion is one of the most desireable technologies for any polygonal toolset. I haven't even mentioned its superb boolean functionality.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

The license file with Iges support & Moulding forms tool:

3DCoat.license

Download license, then please choose the file in 3D-Coat's licensing dialog.

I've installed this licence and followed these instructions and 3D coat is now running well but I'm a bit confused about accessing IGES files in 3D Coat. I can't seem to find anything on the menu for importing them to any room nor does there seem to be any reference to them in the Edit->Preferences tab.  Can someone explain the whole IGES support to me as I seem to be lost in the fog an searching hasn't turned up any info on this.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

37 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Just set the bigger font in preferences. What else is wrong?

It seems you don't have a 4k monitor.

Otherwise, you would immediately see that:

a) fonts (even large, any) in 4k resolution look like they hurt your eyes

b) when you set the shortcut in the settings of the high DPI parameter, the fonts can be viewed under a magnifying glass so as not to spoil your eyesight.

You don't think that people just write about problems, because there is nothing to do?

Edited by Barrel

46 minutes ago, Barrel said:

It seems you don't have a 4k monitor.

Otherwise, you would immediately see that:

a) fonts (even large, any) in 4k resolution look like they hurt your eyes

b) when you set the shortcut in the settings of the high DPI parameter, the fonts can be viewed under a magnifying glass so as not to spoil your eyesight.

You don't think that people just write about problems, because there is nothing to do?

Yes, I am using a full HD monitor (laptop). But a year ago I made support bigger fonts in UI via preferences. I was sure it helped. I am a programmer. I need clear proposals on what to change. I may buy a monitor, but I can't do it immediately after the post, so I am asking.

Regarding flatten - animation is from 4.9, and this tool is not present in 2021, it is completely replaced with the new one.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Yes, I am using a full HD monitor. But a year ago I made support bigger fonts in UI via preferences. I was sure it helped. I am a programmer. I need clear proposals on what to change. I may buy a monitor, but I can't do it immediately after the post, so I am asking.

Well.

It seems to me that there are two types of text presentation in programs, and one of them is fixed to the size of the panels and stretches proportionally to them.

The other view is directly tied to the resolution of the monitor. Therefore, fonts in Windows look equally readable on my main 4k monitor and secondary fallhd, as well as in blender, any office application, and other programs.

I do not know how this is correctly called in programming.

But it seems that you need exactly the second way of transferring the text, and already the size of the panels should be adjusted to the size of the text, and not vice versa.

I didn't have any questions about scaling text in a full-HD monitor, but at 4k it's suffering. You can put up with it. If the monitor is 30 cm from your face. Then the work in the program turns into a cinema!

Regarding flatten - animation is from 4.9, and this tool is not present in 2021, it is completely replaced with the new one.

Well, the program still calls it by the same name, and it works exactly the same (despite some conditional division). And the glitches are exactly the same. To be fair, this tool also crashes in blender under certain settings. Although this is absolutely inconsistent with how if you took a spatula in your hands and began to level a large piece of clay or plasticine.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Barrel said:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/img0.recordit.co/rzYIWAcRAm.mp4?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAUQ5RURZ7ND2T2B6I&Expires=1621636761&Signature=K1mV1MxmLRFi%2BqCORuVOxiUHDiQ%3D

Although I am using the "4,9,72" version, this Flatten tool bug is disgusting! What to do about it?

Pits appear regardless of the thickness of the material in any mode, be it voxels or surface.

Your link does not work. Here are the results when I clicked on it.

3dc.JPG

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

One guy in our team has an older 3d mouse, I asked him to investigate. He pressed the left button and was able to get to 3dconnexion settings related to 3D-coat.

There he set "Object mode" in settings and then all worked exactly as expected. Otherwise, navigation was like from the first person (camera mode), which is incorrect.

I don't have all those settings for some reason. only "speed"

image.png.6fb67263acfa63b2e46e69db21fd0f6e.png

• Advanced Member

Cannot enter number values manually in RESAMPLE or REQUIRED VOXELS (when pressing enter). Weird bug that shifts the window focus also. This also occurs when trying to double click and change number values and text fields. Appears to only happen in "FULL SCREEN MODE".

• Reputable Contributor
48 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Do that param influence the speed? Or at least something depends on them?

nothing has any effect, neither in this panel, nor the main one, nor the buttons settings.

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member

Picking request.

Can we get a pick from center of volume under the cursor as projected from the view.

This would be really useful for using the blob and sphere tools and others.  If I want to draw a shin coming out of a thigh for  example, in stead of the new volume starting from the surface pick point, it would be faster to have the volume start from the center of the form.

I imagine that this would be a fairly easy calculation.

Tell me honestly, is it so important, connecting to a computer manipulator, which less than 10% of program users have, than fixing bugs in the brush engine? Why, even when I change the resolution in surface mode, does the mesh look like it does in voxel mode - an awful jumble of vertices that often intersect with each other? Oh my

Moreover, the way you develop the program now looks extremely strange.
Firstly, once there was a talk about the fact that you will have to pay extra for the next version, at the same time there is not a word about this on the website. Which implies lifetime ownership of any subsequent versions. To avoid misunderstandings about this, the developers of the same zbrush wrote specifically "updates throughout the year."

Now, for this version (2021), de facto, you do not need to pay anything at all - just download the program and the license file. Moreover, at the top, there seems to be a counter of program usage, like some demo version.

But at the same time, de facto, this means that you are rolling out the new version on users, while not wasting anything except the nerves and time of users.

Smells like some kind of scam, providing a substandard product.

God, this is again the stage of development when the normal version will have to wait a couple of years. Perhaps I'll go buy zbrush and forget about this terrible attitude towards users.

Goodbye.

Edited by Barrel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrel said:

Tell me honestly, is it so important, connecting to a computer manipulator, which less than 10% of program users have, than fixing bugs in the brush engine?

Goodbye.

It might be, if its use expands significantly what you can do in the software.
The most recent beta allows for a set of actions that is essentially one step into the VR-like malleability of your object with the added advantage of not having to wear the headset (and not having to buy it, either). 

I can perform size adjustment and positioning in a fraction of the time that I would have spent in any other 3D software to get there. For anyone who has ever had encounters with RSI due to mouse-based workload this will be a meaningful feature, trust the undersigned!

It's obvious that there are issues in many areas that need ironing out but it's counterproductive to criticise the devs for trying to remedy issues that other users have.

• Thanks 5