3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

You came to the beta thread and calling me a scammer. I am working day and night to make this program (10-12 pure hours/day at least). Working over bug fixing, improvements, I can't always explain the order why this or that done. Sometimes fixing bugs requires rewriting the whole branch of the program. Rewriting opens some possibilities to improvements. Treating me as the scammer is far beyond my patience. The developer does not mean slave. Barrel, please, don't buy 3D-Coat or don't participate in beta testing if you feel that I am wasting your time. Or get a refund if you bought. Or tell with me like with any human - with some respect.

I am very thankful to everyone who participates in testing and helps to make this program more stable. I am really trying to make it better.

you shouldn't have to reply to people like that,

a majority of us know what development is like and how hard it is and believe me we all really appreciate your hard work

maybe dont work as many hours! health always comes first.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Elemeno said:

you shouldn't have to reply to people like that,

a majority of us know what development is like and how hard it is and believe me we all really appreciate your hard work

maybe dont work as many hours! health always comes first.

Agreed.  I can't understand the anger from people using a beta version of the software with the amount work the devs are putting in and how they're really trying to implement user feedback.  This is a very rare development style.  I appreciate the hard work of the development team.  Patience is a virtue and some of the posters both here and on the Discord could use some.  I've been here since version 3 and it's incredible how far the program has come since then.  I can see what 3D Coat is becoming.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

can we get some sort of drawing mesh for scultping,

somewhere you use a on screen cursor to determine the position of the generated mesh,

and a tool which you draw a shape and then 3dcoat converts it into a mesh you then can scale and move as a new layer?

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, Barrel said:

Tell me honestly, is it so important, connecting to a computer manipulator, which less than 10% of program users have, than fixing bugs in the brush engine? Why, even when I change the resolution in surface mode, does the mesh look like it does in voxel mode - an awful jumble of vertices that often intersect with each other? Oh my

Moreover, the way you develop the program now looks extremely strange.
Firstly, once there was a talk about the fact that you will have to pay extra for the next version, at the same time there is not a word about this on the website. Which implies lifetime ownership of any subsequent versions. To avoid misunderstandings about this, the developers of the same zbrush wrote specifically "updates throughout the year."

Now, for this version (2021), de facto, you do not need to pay anything at all - just download the program and the license file. Moreover, at the top, there seems to be a counter of program usage, like some demo version.

But at the same time, de facto, this means that you are rolling out the new version on users, while not wasting anything except the nerves and time of users.

Smells like some kind of scam, providing a substandard product.

God, this is again the stage of development when the normal version will have to wait a couple of years. Perhaps I'll go buy zbrush and forget about this terrible attitude towards users.

Goodbye.

This type of bitterness and abrasive talk toward the developers is uncalled for and completely counterproductive. It seems there is always a percentage of any userbase that exhibits this kind of abusive behavior. You really should attempt to utilize tact and show more courtesy (even if you might be frustrated). You will not get anywhere, speaking to Pixologic developers this way, either, and they have their own bugs or limitations in certain areas.

For example, some things in 3DCoat Sculpt layers work very well without breaking sculpt layer functionality, will break sculpt layers in ZBrush...which can be frustrating. You can also paint and sculpt simultaneously on both High Poly Sculpt meshes (Vertex Paint) or Low Poly (UV Mapped) Paint Meshes with Smart Materials. You simply cannot do this in ZB.  ZB also doesn't have the wealth of Retopo, UV or Texture painting tools 3DCoat has, so go ahead...if you want to have to pay for and learn 2 or more separate, complex programs for all these tasks, that is certainly your prerogative. Some choose 3DCoat because they do all of this at a high level in just one app. Furthermore, Pilgway has always been extremely fair when it comes to upgrades and pricing, in general. 

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, sprayer said:

Most of tools with brush are jittering during moving. it's most noticeable in stamp mode but also a bit visible in other stroke modes1.thumb.gif.48505cc8cd3d9e1b289f77911e77e9cf.gif

I think I reported this about a month ago. Must not have been seen, yet

4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

This type of bitterness and abrasive talk toward the developers is uncalled for and completely counterproductive. It seems there is always a percentage of any userbase that exhibits this kind of abusive behavior. You really should attempt to utilize tact and show more courtesy (even if you might be frustrated). You will not get anywhere, speaking to Pixologic developers this way, either, and they have their own bugs or limitations in certain areas.

Especially when the developers give so much and ask so little.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Do you use the latest 3dconnexion drivers?

I went back to version 3DxWare64_v10-6-4_r3119 just now to test.

With this driver I can move in space except in "rotate around camera origin" mode.
Apart from that, navigation seems to be working, but it is too difficult to test if it looses track of pick point because all the controls are reversed and I can't change that :
No options in the 3dc control panel have any effect.
For example if I do this :

image.thumb.png.1a967408474db3f3c1d4ae3c0f0b317e.png

with the above settings, nothing should move/rotate, yet it still does, same as before, and inversed. Speed, custom buttons don't work either.

3 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I went back to version 3DxWare64_v10-6-4_r3119 just now to test.

With this driver I can move in space except in "rotate around camera origin" mode.
Apart from that, navigation seems to be working, but it is too difficult to test if it looses track of pick point because all the controls are reversed and I can't change that :
No options in the 3dc control panel have any effect.
For example if I do this :

image.thumb.png.1a967408474db3f3c1d4ae3c0f0b317e.png

with the above settings, nothing should move/rotate, yet it still does, same as before, and inversed. Speed, custom buttons don't work either.

Please tell the exact name of the device. Very probably there will be a choice between the old and new approaches because Linux has no drivers for the new approach (ones from the site not working), so the old approach will be kept as well. But it could be good to understand the root.

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please tell the exact name of the device. Very probably there will be a choice between the old and new approaches because Linux has no drivers for the new approach (ones from the site not working), so the old approach will be kept as well. But it could be good to understand the root.

Exact name of the device is SpaceNavigator image.png.e5b7f89b25ee8ed89eaae59b4bba94b4.png

I believe it is the very first model.

By the way, the very first time I saw a mention of 3d-Coat was on the 3dConnexion website at the time, looking through the list of software supporting the 3d mouse. That's when I downloaded the trial and was instantly hooked.
Today, 3d-Coat is not listed on their website anymore :(

SUPRISING UPDATE on testing it with 2021 Beta B49 :
When I press the N key  (pose mode or simply manipulating object), the 3d mouse works correctly (controls are no longer inverted). (however, settings in 3dx properties still have no effect)

On 5/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

You came to the beta thread and calling me a scammer. I am working day and night to make this program (10-12 pure hours/day at least

Andrew shouldn't have to respond to this kind of abuse!
I have been with 3D coat a long time. This man is the most dedicated and responsive software developer I have ever seen. The program rocks. The scope is ambitious and software design is not click and drag.

I appreciate the program, the development and you Andrew, and those who assist.

Carry On!

Edited by splinetime
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• Advanced Member

It looks like PSD/16bit import is broken, only works if it saved in TIFF

Maybe i am not understand but on  brush preview it have extrusion on both sides. But In sculpting it works only over surface extrusion and changing extrusion mode to omni direction not helped. 

Subdivision for stencil in brush engine not working with any lasso stoke modes

CP_SP_Cotton_01.tif

screenshot 2021-05-25 001.png

CP_SP_Cotton_01.PSD

• Advanced Member
On 5/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, splinetime said:

Andrew shouldn't have to respond to this kind of abuse!
I have been with 3D coat a long time. This man is the most dedicated and responsive software developer I have ever seen. The program rocks. The scope is ambitious and software design is not click and drag.

I appreciate the program, the development and you Andrew, and those who assist.

Carry On!

I have always had the highest opinion of Andrew both as a creative artist and programmer and as a man. This program is in Beta. There's going to be glitches. That's why I have 4.9.72 and Beta49 installed. The only thing I'm waiting for is the day he asks me to pay for the final upgrade on 3dCoat 2021 which I will do with pleasure for this superb tool.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I would like to be able to model more easily using Snap.
The current Snap to Low-Poly Vertices seem to have limitations where they are used.

In fact, I'm not sure where this feature works...

Can you improve/add features about snap?

-Place specific polygons and polygons in contact
(I think it feels similar to the Fit function of Sculpt Room.)
-Snap to the center of the polygon
-Snaps to vertices or edges
-Rotate and scale after moving the transform gizmo to a specific position using Snap
-Or, if you need an exact [Pick] at a specific point like [General Case Axis] of Symmetry.
(See image below)
etc..

It seems that the work will be easier and fun. :)

snap point.jpg

• Advanced Member
On 5/25/2021 at 11:05 PM, Jburk said:

Been a while since I have checked in. is there a fix for the wacom tablet offset problem?

Are you using a cintiq (display tablet)?
In my case, the value of the window display was set to 150%, but it was solved by changing it to 100%.

RMB-Display setting on the desktop

The language will be different, but attach an image of the settings.

bandicam 2021-05-27 01-42-28-989.jpg

화면 캡처 2021-05-27 013946.jpg

Settings where to speed up anti-aliasing are reset every time the program is restarted.

It is not clear why the normal dynamic topology (which was and worked without problems) was removed.

Why grouped the brushes. Now I need to make an extra click every time I want to select something.

Why the mesh, when changing from voxels to the surface, looks terrible (still) - a pile of vertices, the edges from which often intersect each other for no reason. Even when modeling wrinkles, it is annoying.

Edited by Barrel

6 hours ago, Yousung said:

Are you using a cintiq (display tablet)?
In my case, the value of the window display was set to 150%, but it was solved by changing it to 100%.

RMB-Display setting on the desktop

The language will be different, but attach an image of the settings.

bandicam 2021-05-27 01-42-28-989.jpg

화면 캡처 2021-05-27 013946.jpg

nope just a regular old tablet. I would prefer not to mess with my monitor settings. They are optimal for the programs I am in and the work that I do. Just waiting for the offset issue to be fixed so I can start playing around in it.

16 hours ago, Skareeg said:

I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I am quite curious as to how to get those file sizes down. A 4K tif, jpg, or png image is generating a 600Mb MCLP file. For 100+ brushes, that is quite unacceptable. I actually completely ran out of file storage space on my drive and did not realize it until I did a scan and found those files. A 2K image is making a 160Mb file, which is also still bad. I have to keep all of my brush alphas below 2K to keep some semblance of file space. (I may just need to relocate these brushes to another drive as per some suggestions elsewhere, but these files really should not be that big, and I am trying to figure out why this is even a thing.)image.png.f2266a5ebf1fdbb5cdaf34cf5037bc9a.png

Those files in the attached image are 1K image alphas. Like.. why?

My 2021 test

TestTif.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skareeg said:

For the quote above, I want to clarify that I am still using 3D Coat v4 (through Steam). If you'd like me to test the brush issue on the 2021 Beta, let me know.

My test using v2021: 4K tif

TestTif.jpg

15 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

My test using v2021: 4K tif

TestTif.jpg

Aye. That is definitely still an issue then. It may just be that it does need that level of storage for some reason, but I can't imagine why. Thanks for quoting me here

And Andrew, keep doing what you are doing. The moment 2021 goes live, I am definitely a happy customer. I learned to use ZBrush for a bit, and I find that while exceedingly powerful at high detail, I never intend to go that high myself, I despise their UI, I find the 2.5 pixol engine limiting in navigation, and it does not do retopo and painting nearly as good or shaded as good as this software. 3D Coat + Houdini is a ridiculous combination. Thank you for everything you've built.

I do wish Substance would integrate with y'all somewhat, but I generally understand why. I still intend to use them for non destructive procedural painting and material design, but I will definitely use 3D Coats painting engine more as well. (I am still miffed that Substance Painter still does not have 3Dconnexion support. As someone who is primarily a developer in his day job, I've seen the 3D Mouse APIs and I know that they can do it. C'mon Adobe.)

Scripting question.

I was using a `cmd("$CloneVoxTree");` command to clone an object but it doesn't seem to work in 2021: nothing happens. Is there a list of scripting changes?

Also MMB+RMB doesn't work when clicked on any item in the object context menu: I tried to check the command on the `Clone` command to see if it changed but the menu closes without giving a proper command