3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Reputable Contributor

Testing the "rotate around camera origin" in B50 with the same scene I tested the feature when it came out on 4.9
FPS seems much more steady, and the navigation works just fine.

Scene is made of 34,865,199 triangles with vertex colours. Note steady 59 FPS bottom left of screen :
It feels a lot more steady than in 4.9. I tested navigation in this same scene last year in 4.9 :
https://youtu.be/2ErcYvJUCfo
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

First of all, I would like to thank the developers who have been working hard to develop and fix the program.
- New curve tool features....
- Fantastic combination of Pose Tool and Transform without gizmo....
I've been enjoying learning since I started 3DCoat at the end of last year :)

Of course, I do feel some discomfort while using it.
One of them is the numerical adjustment of parameters.

Can you add a function to fine-tune the parameters of the tools?

When I use the tool, I am faced with a situation that changes too rapidly when controlling the numbers.

Although it can be adjusted with Spacebar or direct numerical input
It feels inconvenient to enter the numerical value every time until the desired result is obtained.

Attached here is an image of parameter adjustment in 3dsmax for example.

370243911_Honeycam2021-06-0116-46-20.gif.bd192e327e380a24ed623b2af49a033b.gif
( watch the mouse movement ! )

You can adjust the intensity of numerical change by using Ctrl and Alt.

If such a function is added, I think it will be much easier and faster to find the desired result than now.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

opengl constantly crashes.. will final release have a dx version?

also not sure if its a bug but if i do a fresh install it works perfect... but if i close and reopen i get the "out of memory" message and crashes

this is something alot of people got in the past as well...  cant find a fix for it

9 hours ago, Yousung said:

First of all, I would like to thank the developers who have been working hard to develop and fix the program.
- New curve tool features....
- Fantastic combination of Pose Tool and Transform without gizmo....
I've been enjoying learning since I started 3DCoat at the end of last year :)

Of course, I do feel some discomfort while using it.
One of them is the numerical adjustment of parameters.

Can you add a function to fine-tune the parameters of the tools?

When I use the tool, I am faced with a situation that changes too rapidly when controlling the numbers.

Although it can be adjusted with Spacebar or direct numerical input
It feels inconvenient to enter the numerical value every time until the desired result is obtained.

Attached here is an image of parameter adjustment in 3dsmax for example.

370243911_Honeycam2021-06-0116-46-20.gif.bd192e327e380a24ed623b2af49a033b.gif
( watch the mouse movement ! )

You can adjust the intensity of numerical change by using Ctrl and Alt.

If such a function is added, I think it will be much easier and faster to find the desired result than now.

Thank you.

Almost anything may be controlled numerically using SPACE button. Drag some gizmo element and press SPACE.

21 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Testing the "rotate around camera origin" in B50 with the same scene I tested the feature when it came out on 4.9
FPS seems much more steady, and the navigation works just fine.

Scene is made of 34,865,199 triangles with vertex colours. Note steady 59 FPS bottom left of screen :
It feels a lot more steady than in 4.9. I tested navigation in this same scene last year in 4.9 :
https://youtu.be/2ErcYvJUCfo

Have you tried factures for such a scene? it should work really well for such terrains.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Have you tried factures for such a scene? it should work really well for such terrains.

Factures are interesting, but I don't know what they are for ?
I mean, you can't bake them to low poly from retopo room. "something" gets baked, but not the same thing you see on the vertexture.
I have no idea how they can exported or if any other software supports them ?
My guess is that it is only for making renders inside 3d-Coat ? the render room looks great in the videos but I can't figure out how to use the nodes.

the scene was mainly a test for my own pleasure, to see what was possible to do with web videos and google earth as source. and to test editing a scene of over 200 kilometers (the width of Greece) in 3d Coat (not to scale and only the meteor have detail).

EDIT: Ah! I guess one could bake them to lowpoly area by area by using the projector feature. I do that for light baking :
-make a render at screen resolution (save view with CTRL+up in case you move camera by accident)
-import render as stencil
-select stencil, hit "reset"
-set projector from stencil
-(save file in case of crash), then "fill layer with projection"
-in paint room paint in white on new layer with rectangle and "igrnore back faces", repeat rectangle until all the area is covered in white
-hide this mask layer
-set clip mask on projection layer using mask

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Almost anything may be controlled numerically using SPACE button. Drag some gizmo element and press SPACE.

I think what he means is a way to make finer movements in realtime where you can visually see the changes as you're tweaking the values.  Perhaps holding a modifier key while dragging a value or doing a transformation to reduce the rate of change by 90% or something like that.  I'm not sure if it would conflict with other hotkeys, but perhaps pressing shift while dragging?  And by the same token, perhaps pressing ctrl+shift while dragging the value increase the rate of change by 2 times (or something like that).

Being able to press space to input a specific value is great, but sometimes you want to tweak something just a little bit and you don't know the exact value you want to use.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Frankly I never liked this because I use Space VERY often when switching tools. One place where it always bugs me is the Split Rings tool in Retopo. If I have that tool active every time I hit Space to switch tools I get the text box instead. The only way to avoid it is to zoom out and move the mouse outside the object, then hit Space.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am testing a workflow in which I would like to remesh a high poly by autopo and then apply the subd preview to the low poly in the modeling room. Then I wanted to edit the preview mesh in the sculpt room with the pose tool. Now things happen that are probably not wanted:

After moving the gizmo from the pose tool and let go of the mouse pointer, the masking and the gizmo disappear.

steps.thumb.png.15d9f79b21df4d9a8bacd8952f64a16a.png

additionally I have this visual bug after I want to undo changes to the preview mesh (ctrl Z

ctrlzbug2.thumb.png.da1b7d0ae282ff516007e28943923db5.png

but it normalizes after I move the camera. 

Hopefully, this Infos are helpful.

Cheers

20 hours ago, Elemeno said:

opengl constantly crashes... if i close and reopen i get the "out of memory"

1. To check OpenGL compatibility please download and run our standalone test ("3DCoat" and this test share the same code):
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.zip
Does it run on your system without problems? Please report your result directly to me: sergkryzh at gmail dot com.
2. Please note that error "Out of memory" usually is caused by corrupted data inside the user folder "This PC > Documents/3D-CoatV2021 (3D-CoatV49)". Particularly because of some texture with damaged header. Rename that folder into something like "-----3D-CoatV2021" ("----3D-CoatV49"). Start "3DCoat". It will create a new user folder. Manually copy your assets from the old user folder into the new one. Note which file (probably a texture with a damaged header) causes the problem.

• Advanced Member
On 6/2/2021 at 2:55 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Yes, it is good to enter numerical values with the spacebar, and it is useful whenever necessary.

However, as I mentioned in the previous comment, when I have to work with ambiguous numerical work that I do not know, I often need a fine-tuning function.

317777737_Honeycam2021-06-0313-20-52.gif.4748a142a99a3d69ccacc7b3279bf6d6.gif

Here's one example situation you need.

After creating a specific object, I want to make it a Spline, so I am setting it up.

At first, you can adjust the numerical value by dragging it, but there are situations when it falls short or exceeds the desired value.

In this case, the only solution is to directly input the numerical value.

Of course, if you keep trying, you'll find the value you want one day...

But keeping pressing the spacebar until you get the desired result is too painful and takes too long!

I'm talking about the need for fine-tuning in the middle of this process.

First, Adjust it as close as possible to find the correction you want, and then use the spacebar to find the correct value.

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, linnos said:

Are we able to test on Linux? I know the linux version isn't out yet, but perhaps running on Wine?

Running in wine is fine, I installed it through Lutris.  3dcoat 2021 doesn't open if installed through wine program loader, but in Lutris it works.

• Advanced Member

Slightly OT, but I think it's relevant.

I'm wondering how Unreal 5 could change the game for a program like 3D Coat.  In particular, not needing to optimize meshes anymore.  I understand how it will work for meshes,  but what about textures?  In particular, will there (or is there) a way to export 3DCoat's vertex painted meshes with full PBR support?  And the same question for Vertextures?

This could be a seismic shift in the way game assets are made and one that 3D Coat seems well positioned to capitalize on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4.06.21 B52

- Fixed problems with normals sampling in brush engine, especially over the thin surfaces.

- Camera close view corrected. There was a problem with the precision of the view (z-fighting, flickering) and a lack of precision when we move something in screen space. If you press 'F' you may get really close to the pivot point.

- Transforms with 'N' correctly applied to pose and other tools. It is mostly related to mouse/pen transforms and old 3d-connexion approach.

- Possibility to invert Transforms on old 3DConn approach.

- "Only in transform mode" option in navigation schemes to apply the action only in objects transform mode.

- Corrected transform in-plane for gizmoless transforms, for example, X+Y or double Z activates motion in the XY plane. Same for other planes.

- Fixed "Directional Fit" in free form pose transform for transformed volumes.

- ENTER will not turn off objects transform mode, so you nay Apply something being in objects transform mode.

- Moulding tweaked a bit, now the model will be subtracted from the parts taking the tapering angle into account.

- Added a Script command generator in the primitive tool, Sculpt, and Retopo rooms. You can save your actions in a script file, change your primitive parameters in the script and run it again.

- Added the support of Modeling and Retopo primitives via Scripts. You can use the retopo classes for creating the primitives in the Retopo and Modeling room via scripts.

- Added the new tools for creating 2D primitives for Modeling and Retopo rooms. You can create the 2D primitives (circle, box, plane, ellipse,   N-gon, disk, triangle).

- Added the Record Script button in the top menu. The button changes the color depending on the record state. If the button is red then the script is recording, the blue button indicates that the recording is stopped.

- Added the boolean operations for retopo primitives in Retopo and Modeling room. You can create primitives using the boolean operations add, subtract, intersect, split.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Not yet, but I am testing the Voxel brushes

It happens whenever there there is something on two layers, whether voxels or surface or both :(

also with any shader
image.thumb.png.870ce85fa9b12b03dbc5b0eb64eabde1.png

I updated nvidia driver, restarted : still the same.