3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Contributor
On 6/6/2021 at 12:41 PM, Silas Merlin said:

I just realized from the talk here that 3d-Coat is perfectly capable of subdividing a model while keeping the uv's at import in the paint room.

So, why is it not capable of doing the same thing in the sculpt room ? (If you subdivide model in the import tool options, the textures are not baked to vertices (import w/o voxelization ticked))

Not only that as I mentioned above, why even have to subdivide if geometry can be influenced by height data using tessellation? it can be high performance using distanced based tessellation and work like LOD levels changing the distance!  I think UV smoothing would have to be  automatic and in sync with initial tessellation level once initiated and smoothing groups could simply be done by brush. 

Andrew was confused as to why I was subdividing my model for PPP mode to paint with smart materials that have height maps and thought I should be using tessellation. If that is the preferred method and if it can super charge performance using distanced based tessellation, then we could *easily* work on 8 -16k textures! @Andrew Shpagin @AbnRanger

Edited by Ascensi

20 hours ago, Elemeno said:

im having trouble with opengl

Please note that the error "Out of memory" is caused by corrupted data inside the user folder "This PC > Documents/3D-CoatV2021 (3D-CoatV49)". It means that the user folder has some texture with a damaged header. That causes "3DCoat" to allocate an abnormal memory chunk. Rename the user folder into something like "-----3D-CoatV2021" ("----3D-CoatV49"). Start "3DCoat". It will create a new user folder. Manually copy your assets from the old user folder into the new one. Note which file (most probably a texture with a damaged header) causes the problem. Then send that damaged texture to me: sergkryzh at gmail dot com. When there is a problem with "OpenGL" it leads to "3DCoat" freezing. To check OpenGL compatibility please download and run our standalone test which shares the same "OpenGL" code with "3DCoat":
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.zip

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, SERGYI said:

Please note that the error "Out of memory" is caused by corrupted data inside the user folder "This PC > Documents/3D-CoatV2021 (3D-CoatV49)". It means that the user folder has some texture with a damaged header. That causes "3DCoat" to allocate an abnormal memory chunk. Rename the user folder into something like "-----3D-CoatV2021" ("----3D-CoatV49"). Start "3DCoat". It will create a new user folder. Manually copy your assets from the old user folder into the new one. Note which file (most probably a texture with a damaged header) causes the problem. Then send that damaged texture to me: sergkryzh at gmail dot com. When there is a problem with "OpenGL" it leads to "3DCoat" freezing. To check OpenGL compatibility please download and run our standalone test which shares the same "OpenGL" code with "3DCoat":
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.zip

you fixed it :D cheers havent been able to use 2021 for a while due to this...

• Like 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Edit the room > Use scripts.

Is not working for me,  changes made are not updated.

Any help, manual, tip ?

Thx in advance.

Edit the room.jpg

I already talked to Andrew about it.

At the moment there is nothing you can do about it (for what I know).
All new buildings that you are installing will not update your scripts from your custom room (codes that you have changed in scripts).

Whenever you install a new build, you will have to enter the room that you have based to make your custom room, and only then you will have to check visually if there have been changes, additions or removals of functions and tools in all menus and etc.

If it happens to add some command, tool or function, you will have to manually add new codes to your Custom Room script.

This problem has already happened to me and I had to manually add the codes that were missing on my custom room, in my case it was missing inside the Edit / Transform Without Gizmo menu.
Unfortunately, at the moment, there is nothing automatic that updates your Custom Room.

I have already commented with Andrew, that this way to create the Custom Room and customize the menus and some palettes would not be very intuitive and easy for users
(who need to know exactly how to deal with script codes) and still this problem of not Update what has already been done on your Custom Room.

I suggested to Andrew that the user could activate the Customize UI button and then manually drag everything directly into the interface (menus, interface and etc) without having to handle codes / scripts.

But I can not complain, I know what he did must have given a lot of work to develop,
but at least currently 3d-coat gives me the possibility of allowing me to create my custom room and customization (I'm glad I understand A little codes) even the way it works today.
Who knows in the future, something can be done.

• Thanks 1

The paint room is still not working, after 5 years ? I reported in details why it was broken 2 years ago on the support:
1 - Do a Sculpt.
2 - Bake AO, curvature on it (mandatory for smart materials, and cannot be baked on the low poly/paint object, as they have no details for AO or curvature to be baked)
2 - Retpo/Uv the sculpt.
3 - Bake it.
4 - NOTHING WORKS, because the AO has been backed BLACK + TRANSPARENCY, instead of BLACK + WHITE. so 3dCoat/smart materials considers that the paint obejct is 100% occluded.
You can paint it all in white, merge down the AO, rename this fixed AmbientOcclusion layer, and everything will work, but no one on earth probably knows that.
This is what painting the copper material looks like, all green, because is has a bit of green in the occluded parts:
image.thumb.png.1b4871f9658fde0d33642a5f98c7ba6c.png

I just don't understand why any other feature is worked on, if the core functionality of Coat that's "sculpt>bake>paint" is broken.
(I have quite a lot of critical bugs like this to report but I just want at least this to be fixed so people can use 3DCoat.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall I really don't think 3dCoat needs any new feature, what it really needs is a UX pass, as it' currently a mine field, most actions results in loss of work, like the voxels regularly exploding, the displacement bake being baked..in the curvature map which is hidden and thus leaves you with no visible explanation as to why your paint object with displacement is totally flat ect.. Like baking with symmetry ON crashes 3dCoat, but baking without symmetry doesn't allow you to edit your cage with symmetry, and as the last tool you used was the UV cut tool, you're actually cutting UV SEAMS while editing your cage !! AAAAH. all this needs to be ironed out if you want 3DCoat to be finally approachable, just take a moment to see an artist doing an asset from A to Z, all these massive issues are super obvious and easy to solve. I'm sorry to sound sooo frustrated but 3DCoat has the most potential for speed, ease of use, artistic control of any of the industry standard app, Zbrush, substance, but it's just totally unusable in a professional way still. it feels DANGEROUS to use 3dCoat, mostly with the insane UX quality of Blender, it really hard to face 3dCoat UI since blender 2.8. I mean you can instal 12 different version of blender in a single day, and NOT WASTE A SINGLE MINUTE WITH hotkeys/startup file/preferences/space mouse configuration, everything is sorted automatically. in 3DCoat, using migration Master, just crashes. Migrating presets by hand, copies just a few of them. Doing in in windows ? impossible as the naming conventions are really preventing you to locate or copy your prefs, like Alphas being named Masks and mixed with actual UI icons and assets ect..

• Like 2

Also 4K is still not automatically supported, need to fiddle in the windows setting of the app/shortcut, looking for some "PPP" button to tick for it to work. No other 3d app has this issue.
aaaaaaah.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

In voxel mode extrude works fine with brush alphas, but in surface it works strange with any brush settings (clay, draw, extrude etc) And enabling subdivision produce noise with alphas.

brush pack for testing https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ehheehl3dbnwng/cd_carved.rar/file

They were created by Chuot Dong from 3d models.

Also please increase maximum steady stroke value. It is shorter than was in v4.9 at 40. And it looks like in 4.9 was some inertia.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Advanced Member

Sorry - not sure if it is a bug , but Decimation function in the Sculpr room gives different results if to use it from Geometry menu and if to use it while exporting object. It is different density of the mesh on highly details areas and sharp edges. Much better smart results if to use Decimate from Geometry menu. Seems like algorithm works different in this cases. Or it is some reason for this behavior?

• Advanced Member

Is there anyway to get better feedback when running demanding processes like "AUTOPO" in linux? When running the process I always see "0%" and the number/progress bar never updates. Running on POP OS/Ubuntu based. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member

I do not think the density process in Autopo is working. I do not see a mask painted on mesh and the density is not applied when finishing the process. Linux based

Edited by ebitz

• Reputable Contributor

In my test the other day, I found that autopo seemed to work very well in 2021, and I think for the first time ever, I saw the extra density by masking work. However, I masked the area with the freeze tool prior to launching autopo.

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member

Thanks Silas. I found the issue. I ran autopo from the sculpt room and everything works. If you run autopo from the retopo room the autopo wizard does not put you into the freeze tool to paint the density.

• Advanced Member

Baking AO Occlusion in Beta has these artifacts. Tried same file in 4.9.72 with no issues and is much faster. on linux

AO_Bake_Coat(Beta).png.fc92abd1586e5eede1e9498bdeb6c823.png

Edited by ebitz

55 minutes ago, Juan Carlos Montes said:

This is maybe a stupid question how do I register the beta with my account? I don't see any login in 3dcoat website only in the forum section.

The license file with Iges support & Moulding forms tool (valid till 10.07.2021):

3DCoat.license

Download license, then please choose the file in 3DCoat's licensing dialog.

• Advanced Member

currently trying the latest build , i dont see anything that is worth upgrading for,

4.9.72 has everything that 2021 basically has, theres a few gimmicks here and there but modelling hasnt been made easier nor faster

no new painting features ,ui is still all over the place this personally looks like 4.9.80 

I was hoping for a more sleek looking ui without the horrible font or unreadable menus,
modelling tools where each room has separate hotkeys for each job (E in modelling is extrude E in sculpting is brush size) just for an example

tools added are very messy and not clear to use , chisel no longer works properly in 2021

I specifically remember a bevel tool added to 2021 which I cant find.

• Advanced Member

On linux, everytime I enter the UV workspace the app becomes completely unstable and crashes. Loading the robot from the quickstart menu for perpixel painting. Then select the UV workspace. Crashes after interacting with model.

Edited by ebitz

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, ebitz said:

On linux, everytime I enter the UV workspace the app becomes completely unstable and crashes. Loading the robot from the quickstart menu for perpixel painting. Then select the UV workspace. Crashes after interacting with model.

Can you shoot Sergii an email about this? 

support.linux@3dcoat.com

On 6/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, ebitz said:

Baking AO Occlusion in Beta has these artifacts. Tried same file in 4.9.72 with no issues and is much faster. on linux

AO_Bake_Coat(Beta).png.fc92abd1586e5eede1e9498bdeb6c823.png

I have this same problem too now in the beta. I used to get a similar problem in the earlier builds of 4.x, but I haven't had an in issue for quite a few releases. I didn't see this before the latest beta build.

• Advanced Member

After changing the company's computer, I am using V4 and 2021 Beta versions together.

In 3DC B54(Win) version, "Menu item not found: FillByVoxels" appears in a very short moment at the bottom of the screen and there is a lag.

V4 and B52 versions do not have this problem.
This is happening with the B54 version.
Re-installing B54 shows the same symptoms.

▼When running with B54 version, this window appears.

1107024860_B54Open.png.41d38ba2b29fea7ac5251a717ffceb0c.png

I haven't tested the 3DC for a while, so I'm not sure if the computer before the change also showed this problem.

Guess I'll have to go home and check it again on my home computer.

Thanks for the new tutorial, but I haven't been able to reproduce what is shown in the video. I'm using version B54 but I do not have the "Show/Hide bend params" options for example, nor do the mouse actions described seem to work for me. Is this a future version not yet released that is being shown?

(Tip for anyone who might try to watch the video: Turn the volume for your speakers up. Way up.) 

Edited by Carlosan
added tutorial link