3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

On the subject of the joints tool; I think it would be more intuitive, and the way most people would logically expect it to work, if it was done so the parts when snapped lined up with the grid squares.

This is the way it is in 3DCoat:

grid3dc2.png.bfdb2c8a3132a36f67760d2e9f0da012.png

This is the way most people I think would expect it to work:

gridblender2.png.28bd2ac146d103f0973e319cf82d838e.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

When using N key object transform with 3d mouse, I am not entirely sure, but the rotation seems to happen at 0 height under the initial location of the object, so to speak. (the spot where geometry was first drawn on a given layer relative to world origin). Which is kind of okay, I guess.
If you want to change that, you need to right click > transform. When you do this, the center of rotation becomes the center mass. You can then (sort of) grab the gizmo holding shift to change the position of the gizmo relative to the object and thereby change the point the object will rotate around. Kind of okay still, except for two things :
-as soon as you mouse over the gizmo, it vanished. Is that expected behaviour ?
-The arrows on the gizmo are no longer double sided, which means that if you want to move it up for example, you can't go very far because as soon are you reach the menus, you can no longer click to release. (which was already a problem in 4.9)
-the "click to place" option which existed long ago has not reappeared yet.

Now, when utin objects transfomations with the primitives tool, everything seems fine (as far as I can tell now).

However, if, instead, you choose the import tool, then there are problems.
-it seems impossible to change the point around which the rotation occurs.
-"move only gizmo" has no effect (except when grabbing it with mouse)
Luckily, it is possible to select custom objects in the sculpt models panel with the primitives tool. However, when clicking on an object in the panel with another tool active, you are taken to the import tool, not the primitives tool.

On another note, I notice that holding CTRL with the Flatten tool has no effect, which is really wrong, because the flatten tool needs to work both ways like it does in 4.9 : Not only do you need both for flattening, but also it is actually a very powerful sculpting tool in itself.

• Advanced Member
On 6/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, sprayer said:

In voxel mode extrude works fine with brush alphas, but in surface it works strange with any brush settings (clay, draw, extrude etc) And enabling subdivision produce noise with alphas.

brush pack for testing https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ehheehl3dbnwng/cd_carved.rar/file

They were created by Chuot Dong from 3d models.

Also please increase maximum steady stroke value. It is shorter than was in v4.9 at 40. And it looks like in 4.9 was some inertia. 

You can just enter bigger number for steady stroke field manually - for example 60

I'm ecstatic, the main bug that killed projects for me, even through subsequent saves and updates to the client, has been fixed!

the UI would break during the retopo process and leave ghosts of icons and artifacts all over the ui until it crashed or you closed the app, and it would be broken upon reopening that save, but I just tried it from an old, confirmed broken save, and it worked! Great job from the dev team, it was the one thing keeping me from trusting 3dc to retopo my projects lol

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

>-Entering the text in the text tool (and similar) is now correct for all languages, languages may be mixed if need.

That is great. thank you very much as a Japanese language person.

but ,  when I use Ext 2D editor , characters is still garbled.

although this is not important bug . 

we will use English language at the moment. we patiently wait.

thank you.:drinks:

garbled.thumb.png.1f0ea24e40c405eeccd35ff70554d1c1.png

Edited by jene
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Does anybody have any idea about when we can get our hands on a relatively stable version with unlocked everything?

I upgraded to pro version while ago hoping the 2021 release would be around this time. I just want to be able to use new and old everything and export anything if I want to.

If the devs are behind their planned stable 2021 release schedule can you please somehow let us know here or via an announcement? (the one up in the forums is locked and has no date)

Previously I only used the sculpting functions only so develeopment didnt really matter for me. I just dont want to use the old version get used to it just to find out things have been changed or replaced or whatever with the new version.

20 hours ago, Koray said:

Does anybody have any idea about when we can get our hands on a relatively stable version with unlocked everything?

I upgraded to pro version while ago hoping the 2021 release would be around this time. I just want to be able to use new and old everything and export anything if I want to.

If the devs are behind their planned stable 2021 release schedule can you please somehow let us know here or via an announcement? (the one up in the forums is locked and has no date)

Previously I only used the sculpting functions only so develeopment didnt really matter for me. I just dont want to use the old version get used to it just to find out things have been changed or replaced or whatever with the new version.

July 12 - the official release date. 

• Like 2

• Contributor

Hello, I have some feedback regarding curves tools option "create from selected edges", this is B54

To sum up first, it would be beneficial if curves created from a ring-selection or similar, could be separated immediately via an option

I'll explain in more detail here to better show what I am talking about
PureRef_tUq72w4mzp.thumb.jpg.214c81fa3cb46a6a8211edc38b73065b.jpg
1) have geometry, here cylinder. 2) Select longitudal edges / ring selection.
PureRef_Rmdz6LFZxf.thumb.jpg.02a4428e9060edc8dd3a09b1e7ea30e7.jpg

3) Use option "CreateFromSelectedEdges" under Curves menu 4) I get singular curve item for all these selected edges
5) subidividing the curve reveals, these curves though they appear separate at first are in actuality continuous
PureRef_OnzsCLpdiy.thumb.jpg.47ec5d5e1dd202613ecd19bd3b27392b.jpg

6) to separate them I have to select the extremities points and use curve separate command 7) now after deleting adipose curve parts I didn't want, I have them all as separate curves

Bottom line: this kind of operation to create many curves can be very powerful and beneficial, but it would be more convenient if they could become separate curves immediately, perhaps with its own option

Thanks for your consideration

Edited by poeboi

1. Assign a hotkey for the pose tool.
2. Assign a hotkey for the "select" tool.
3. Press the hotkey for the Pose tool.
4. Press the hotkey for the "select" tool.
5. Selects the Select tool for a split second, and then instantly selects the Pose tool without user intervention.
Relevant for half of all versions of the program (since 2018).

• Advanced Member

Finally tested the modelling room in 3dcoat 2021 B54 for a few minutes. 

- Is there a way for  lasso or box select method to be assigned  to rmb like modo, lightwave, blender?

- Symmetry is as confusing as ever like the retopo room. Virtual mirror mode on/off, toggle symmetry on/off. Can't we just have a mirror feature like in 3dmax, blender that you add or activate  and that's it so there's only one thing to turn off. Apply it at the end if needed.

- Also symmetrical selection doesn't seem to work for me when I "Take mesh from paint room".  Why is that step "Take from paint room"  necessary?  It doesn't make workflow seamless. Any mesh should be editable imo and just manage it by layers/groups.

- The spacebar key should not be hardcoded. Why can't we drag and drop any tools there or remove tools that people don't need? Allow it to be editable with labels, separators, text based only, icon based only.

- Allow Stack keys. This is a function in other appz to ASSIGN one key to multiple functions. Ex. I would like to assign vertex, edge, poly to a Stack key like say "q" key. Every time I press "q" on the keyboard it switches from vertex, edge, poly mode.  Or another example is assigning free extrude, normal exture, extrude to "e" key and  I just press it 2 times to get normal extrude.  Stack keys are powerful.

- Weld to last selected - is it there?

29.06.21 B55

Joints tool polished and updated to be really useful. Now it is a really powerful construction tool, not just a toy. Changes:

- Blocks polished, some blocks removed if impossible to polish. Scale, joints positions corrected.

- SHIFT allows to bend tiled objects or rotate accurately

- Rich bending possibilities and options - snapping to existing joints, steps for length and bend angle.

- Removing with CTRL polished and fixed.

Look the video: 

- Retopo/Modeling/Selection tool streamlined, look the video 

- Selection modes for select/transform are rectangular by default, but if the user will change it, the new method will be kept. Also, the rectangular selection is always additive, click on empty space clears the selection. "AutoSnap" kept per user choice in retopo/modeling rooms.

- Better look of curves, much faster rendering and operation.

- Retopo/Curves/Create from selected edges Create from open edges are auto-separated. "Separate disconnected parts" included in curves operations.

- Fixed pipeline problem: Sculpt, bake AO & cavity -> Retopo->Bake (AO & cavity as well) -> Paint with Smart Materials. Now AO accepted as color+alpha (not only color as before), so this pipeline works correctly.

- Correct gizmoless transform in Import tool.

- RMB menu in the Retopo room is now more compact and convenient.

- Infoline (in Retopo) shows extended and important information about selected elements - distance, length, square, angle (when applicable).

- Fixed UV/edgeloops tool.

- Added Tool "Show Open Edge".

- Smart Extrude Improved. Added possibility of selection.

- Super relax/pinch and other custom tools in the SHIFT/CTRL-SHIFT menu work correctly (there was mesh destruction in some cases).

- Frame (SHIFT A) works correctly, even with objects of different nature.

- Fixed the record script for retopo primitives.

- Changed the location of the "Record Script" button.

- RMB in Retopo room corrected, RMB over the VoxTree shows correct menu.

- Edit->Reset settings remove settings correctly.

- Fixed inconsistency in the gizmoless transforms, when actions were not corresponding to the textual description.

- Scripting little fix - removed unnecessary warning, RMB+MMB info corrected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Presets can't seem to be imported from 4.9.61 to 2021 (Tried both Migration Master, and manual presets import, same result.)
I have several folders in 4.9 but only the default folder fills with presets, and they are not exactly the default presets I sorted in 4.9, there is a mixture of presets from my voxel  preset tab/folder, and my Live Clay preset seems to be gone, replaced by my voxels ones, although I have a surface selected which should hide the voxels presets as I don't have "show all presets ticked":

image.thumb.png.38f7eb13f1144a3b225c4f22f8018ff3.pngimage.thumb.png.b93081a746f6e88fe078be9707583da1.png

After each new installation of 3dCoat, all Space Mouse configuration is lost, and it's very long to manually restore, all these hotkeys and radial menus needs to be remade from scratch (did it many times though, but it's discouraging from updating 3dCoat):
image.thumb.png.3a419beb6471f46f0c2340b4ad70a038.png

Sculpt layers still seems to  "bleed" onto the Layer 0, all these details are random leftovers from the hidden layer 1, so applied destructively randomly onto Layer 0.
Is bursh subdivision/live clay, the responsible and should be avoided on sculpt layers ?
I guess the main usage for sculpt layers is large move tool modification, and adding details with live clay/subdivision though.
image.thumb.png.907ec117f61dfc723052a36e5c3f3436.png

• Reputable Contributor
30 minutes ago, liok said:

After each new installation of 3dCoat, all Space Mouse configuration is lost, and it's very long to manually restore, all these hotkeys and radial menus needs to be remade from scratch (did it many times though, but it's discouraging from updating 3dCoat):
image.thumb.png.3a419beb6471f46f0c2340b4ad70a038.png

It should not be if the file you use has the same .exe name (ie, 3DCoatGL64.exe). If you use one that has a different name, yes, it will be as you say, and I have had that happen in 4.9 when Andrew suddenly changed the name ever so slightly from 3D-CoatDX64C to something like 3DCoatDX64.exe

It still seems very confusing to be able to paint a smart material on a layer, and then potentially by accident sculpt as-well on this layer.
So very easily it's possible to destroy your work by sculpting on a layer, as all your sculpt work is trapped inside this layer, without you being able to "bake it down" on the actual mesh, not on any layer, given you probably want to delete all layers at some point, when you start texturing for example.
Couldn't it be possible to say "I don't want to sculpt on any layer, even if I might use some to paint a smart material at some point", or have layers that can only be painted on, and other only sculpted on ect.. it seems that allowing to both paint sculpt detail, and actually sculpt details on a layer with mainly result in destroying your work, versus the very few cases where you would actually want to paint a PBR material on a layer and use move and clay brush ALSO on this layer.
I think new comers will be very perplex and confused as to how they're supposed to use sculpt layers safely as it doesn't even seem possible to not sculpt on a layer (Maybe by hiding all layers even Layer0 that's still selected ?)

Ah thanks AbnRanger, but I checked and the exe names are the same and 3Dconnexion still does not recognise each instal of Coat as the same program.
I'm actually really surprised it seems to have happened to you only some times, I instaled around a dozen version of Coat and every single version whithout exeption lost all the Space Mouse preferences.
I will try to play around and change the exe names, but it doesn't seem to make the preferences be recognised.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, liok said:

Ah thanks AbnRanger, but I checked and the exe names are the same and 3Dconnexion still does not recognise each instal of Coat as the same program.
I'm actually really surprised it seems to have happened to you only some times, I instaled around a dozen version of Coat and every single version whithout exeption lost all the Space Mouse preferences.
I will try to play around and change the exe names, but it doesn't seem to make the preferences be recognised.

Are you pointing the Install Directory (where the .exe file is) on the C drive?  Also, did you save your 3DConnexion configuration for 3DCoat? If not, perhaps that may be the culprit. It is very strange that this is happening to you, because it doesn't happen on my end, regardless of whether I save each new install in a generic 4.9 or 3DC 2021 folder, or in a new one for each build. 

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, liok said:

It still seems very confusing to be able to paint a smart material on a layer, and then potentially by accident sculpt as-well on this layer.
So very easily it's possible to destroy your work by sculpting on a layer, as all your sculpt work is trapped inside this layer, without you being able to "bake it down" on the actual mesh, not on any layer, given you probably want to delete all layers at some point, when you start texturing for example.
Couldn't it be possible to say "I don't want to sculpt on any layer, even if I might use some to paint a smart material at some point", or have layers that can only be painted on, and other only sculpted on ect.. it seems that allowing to both paint sculpt detail, and actually sculpt details on a layer with mainly result in destroying your work, versus the very few cases where you would actually want to paint a PBR material on a layer and use move and clay brush ALSO on this layer.
I think new comers will be very perplex and confused as to how they're supposed to use sculpt layers safely as it doesn't even seem possible to not sculpt on a layer (Maybe by hiding all layers even Layer0 that's still selected ?)

After the official release, Andrew and the team will probably take some much needed vacation time, but after that, a revamp of the layer system is something I will continue to push for. There wasn't enough time to implement it in 2021, but Andrew had this on his "To Do" list before, and I presume it will be high on his list post release.

With that said, Sculpt Layer functionality is designed to be integrated with the Paint Layers, and actually has been a part of the workflow for over a decade....just available only on low-poly Paint Meshes, with UV's. Only recently was it made available on (high poly) Sculpt Objects. The best thing to do is just name your layers accordingly, with some kind of prefix or suffix that indicates what information is stored on the layer. For example, I will add "SL" (Sculpt Layer) and/or "VP" (Vertex Paint). It's actually important to name layers anyway, because if you don't and have a dozen or more layers to sort through, it becomes a pain trying to find what stored on what layer, and also, a work colleague may need to work with the file and will need to know this information.

• Like 2