3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

1 hour ago, Yousung said:

1513540867_bandicam2021-06-3014-34-06-463.thumb.jpg.2817eb0cb9046882101a6bac7a4c02c1.jpg

Wow, can I get 3DC Textura separately if I have 3DC 2021?

Practically, you will be able to buy another license for 3DCoatTextura as they will be sold as different separate applications, but there is no need for that.  3DCoatTextura will have only 2 rooms of 3DCoat - Painting and Rendering

9 hours ago, liok said:

After each new installation of 3dCoat, all Space Mouse configuration is lost, and it's very long to manually restore, all these hotkeys and radial menus needs to be remade from scratch (did it many times though, but it's discouraging from updating 3dCoat):
image.thumb.png.3a419beb6471f46f0c2340b4ad70a038.png

This is because 3D-Coat installs into another folder. You may store settings to file and then import for the newer version. Or manually force the installation of Coat to some static folder.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:42 AM, Barrel said:

1. Assign a hotkey for the pose tool.
2. Assign a hotkey for the "select" tool.
3. Press the hotkey for the Pose tool.
4. Press the hotkey for the "select" tool.
5. Selects the Select tool for a split second, and then instantly selects the Pose tool without user intervention.
Relevant for half of all versions of the program (since 2018).

If you press and hold the hotkey, the Coat will switch to the tool temporarily. Then it should switch back to the previous tool.  Anyway, this work not correctly now, will be fixed.

• Advanced Member

Bug in latest Beta:

Render room settings are lost when I move to the sculpting room and back.  I haven't tested much, but I have shadows turned on in the sculpt room.

Can anyone else confirm?

Also, I haven't tested, but has the issue with UI scaling affecting Wacom cursor offset been fixed with 4k monitors in dual monitor setups where each monitor has a different resolution.  I think you'll definitely want to fix that issue prior to release.

• Contributor

When starting a new Voxel Sculpting scene, selecting the big sphere places the camera way too close to it. Also noticeable with the medium sized one.

That is using the Linux beta 2021.B54.

I seem to remember the same behaviour being fixed in the Windows builds some time ago. I may be wrong about the fix, though.

3 hours ago, Allabulle said:

When starting a new Voxel Sculpting scene, selecting the big sphere places the camera way too close to it. Also noticeable with the medium sized one.

That is using the Linux beta 2021.B54.

I seem to remember the same behaviour being fixed in the Windows builds some time ago. I may be wrong about the fix, though.

Probably you have a small value of FOV, keep around 50.

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Probably you have a small value of FOV, keep around 50.

Thanks, but sadly I already have the camera viewport FOV at 50. I tried it at more and less values, too. It doesn't seem to have any effect when starting a new scene. 

Only hitting the house icon in the top bar in the viewport ("Reset the camera to the default position") can I see the sphere. No FOV changing helps.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member

Very much looking forward to 3DCoatTextura!  Is there any pricing for that as of yet?  Honestly this is one of the main reasons I play around in 3DCoat so having it as a separate application sounds AWESOME!  

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry i forgot to add the path

Geometry > Stroke expansion

actually i just noticed something, the tooltip says it only works for voxel brushes, meaning it won't work in the paint room, so it still makes paint room in 2021 unusable when you need your alpha to follow your stroke

7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

This is because 3D-Coat installs into another folder. You may store settings to file and then import for the newer version. Or manually force the installation of Coat to some static folder.

Thanks for the answers Andrew.

I tried many times to export and re-import 3dConnexion settings to try to restore my Space Mouse pref on newer instals on Coat, but it never worked, it's just different software from 3DConnexion perspective.
I installed 4.9.74 and it's a miracle it identified it as the same software as 4.9.61 though, so there's hope as AbnRanger pointed.
Blender can be installed on different locations on different disks, and is always recognized as the same software by 3DX, so space mouse is always working with preferences.

So I think it comes from the name of the .EXE as AbnRanger pointed, I tried changing it, have 2021 exe have the same name as 4.9.61 exe, but it doesn't work though, so it might be more complex.

- I guess forcing the instal in the same folder is impossible if we need to keep the older 3DCoat version working as a backup as the newer one will most likely not work directly as all the presets and materials are reset to default.

Just pasting what I wrote on the Discord, I spent the entire day just trying to import my workspace (brushes ect..) in 2021, and I believe there is massive isses to solve here, the kind that would prevent 3DCoat to be used professionally:

ATM it's virtually made impossible to manage your prefs, and managing your prefs is the most basic and critical aspect of any 3d/2d software, as artist we need absolute precise control over brush bank and textures basically.

>>> when you click "Save Presets" you really expect all presets to be saved, not just the current tab.
(I nearly just lost weeks of Tool Preset customization)

This is where SOME of the preferences is stored, in random folders named "Maks" and Patterns" instead of Stencil and Brushes, in the middle of a huge mess of important file you DO NOT want to delete unlike the default Brushes alphas and stencil that re-appear after each new instalation:
image.thumb.png.9b5b58c21210d09a185d8a57423ac357.png

There should be only one folder, either in document, or in the instal location, named like "USER PREFs" with inside each type of prefs:
ALPHAS
STENCILS
SCULPT
SHADERS
SMART MATERIALS
TOOLS PRESETS

ect..

Ok after 4 hours I managed to get my prefs in 2021 (Migration Master does not work, only copies default, if anything at all, but mostly doesn't delete all the unwanted default things)
So for anyone wanting to do sculpt in Coat 2021, to get your prefs the key is to delete all default ones in the instal location of Coat 2021, and then delete all the default ones in the documents/Coat2021 folder, and then copy paste your presets from the 4.9 documents.

The tricky bit is to find the "translation" for all folders, here is the one I found:
>> Brushes (alphas) are inside the "Texture" folder, and named "Patterns"
>> Stencils are in Texture/Masks.
>> Sculpt Shaders are in Shaders/PbrShaders
>> Tool Presets are in Preset (NOT IN "ToolPresets" !)
>> Smart Materials are in "Patterns" (seriously this naming convention is horrendous, Patterns would REALLY leaves you thing it's the stencils stored there...)

610636380_2021prefs.thumb.jpg.b464324d0713df1be40f22e50739e30f.jpg

I believe if you start taking care about how practical it feels using 3DCoat there will be a massive boom in users and license sales, exactly like what blender foundation did with 2.8, improving the UI/UX/QA that was really needed, and a critical impact and DOUBLED the Growth rate and user numbers over a couple years. UX played a bigger role in that than the new features I believe.

• Like 3

It's called Migration Master, under Help, but it simply does not work on my end.
And I don't believe it's supposed to work as it should be, in the sense that you want not only to import your old prefs, but you also want to delete all the default prefs/alphas/materials that pollutes each new installation with a huge amount of clutter that makes it impossible to work efficiently with just the tools/prefs you want being visible.
But beyond Migration Master, Coat can't possibly be used professionally until Prefs are stored in a clean way, in a single folder, with only prefs there, so that you can control them, store them in the cloud, copy paste them in a new installation, on a new pc ect....

• Sad 1

When baking, the displacement information from the high poly sculpt should be stored in a precise layer, and locked, (it can be unlocked to smooth/repair the small areas that the cage missed)
That would likely prevent most poeple to be confused as to what happened, when the dispalcement is baked inside a random layer 1, or the curvature layer, by accident because it was selected in another room.
Something like this:
image.png.b8e26b94737dc9eb54dfd2c963154b5e.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin @CarlosanHi! Need an urgent help here! 

Saved brush presets are not working after recall .. I have Mac version latest beta (54). And I also have brush presets panel empty after installing 2021 beta (54) Mac version - so no prebuild presets here like I have in 4.9 version of 3dcoat An even new saved presets are not working (except noise tool- this one is ok) . 

can you give some advice please?

2 hours ago, iRadovsky said:

@Andrew Shpagin @CarlosanHi! Need an urgent help here! 

Saved brush presets are not working after recall .. I have Mac version latest beta (54). And I also have brush presets panel empty after installing 2021 beta (54) Mac version - so no prebuild presets here like I have in 4.9 version of 3dcoat An even new saved presets are not working (except noise tool- this one is ok) . 

can you give some advice please?

I found and posted some information that might help you just above, I could not get my brush/tool presets from 4.9 to 2021, but found one technique that works, but that involves knowing the names and location of all these folders in the documents/instal directories, might be different on mac but probably not much ?

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

@liok@Andrew Shpagin@Carlosan HI! ))

I don't think that brush presets from 4,9 will work on 2021 version good because brush engine was changes... but I very upset that i'm couldn't use my newly created presets in this 2021 version - when I click on my new preset parameters are changes but brush doesn't do anything with surface. And in addition the default folder is empty after installation. Here the screen capture and some screenshots

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 19.06.09.png

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 19.01.48.png

• Contributor
On 6/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Allabulle said:

Thanks, but sadly I already have the camera viewport FOV at 50. I tried it at more and less values, too. It doesn't seem to have any effect when starting a new scene. 

Only hitting the house icon in the top bar in the viewport ("Reset the camera to the default position") can I see the sphere. No FOV changing helps.

The new Linux beta 2021.B55 solved the issue. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:46 PM, gbball said:

has the issue with UI scaling affecting Wacom cursor offset been fixed with 4k monitors in dual monitor setups where each monitor has a different resolution.

Please try to reproduce the problem on our standalone test:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.zip
Key "1" enables the Wacom "WinTab" interface. Key "2" enables Microsoft "TabletPC" interface. Try them both. Report which of them has the problem and contact me directly: sergkryzh at gmail dot com.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, SERGYI said:

Please try to reproduce the problem on our standalone test:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.zip
Key "1" enables the Wacom "WinTab" interface. Key "2" enables Microsoft "TabletPC" interface. Try them both. Report which of them has the problem and contact me directly: sergkryzh at gmail dot com.

Email sent.

Speaking about 4K, we still need to manually go in the .exe parameters, and tweak the PPP settings, for Coat to launch in 4k, I'm pretty sure the majority of users don't know that and as most people start to get 4K screens now, a good portions of users might be running 3DCoat in low resolution on their 4K screen.
Isn't there any way to have this PPP setting correctly ticked by default ?
As this needs to be done at each installation of 3DCOat, and it's easy to forget the procedure.
(sorry french windows)
Thanks.
image.thumb.png.fc375c0c17cb80b6f8ded19f784068a6.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, liok said:

Speaking about 4K, we still need to manually go in the .exe parameters, and tweak the PPP settings, for Coat to launch in 4k, I'm pretty sure the majority of users don't know that and as most people start to get 4K screens now, a good portions of users might be running 3DCoat in low resolution on their 4K screen.
Isn't there any way to have this PPP setting correctly ticked by default ?
As this needs to be done at each installation of 3DCOat, and it's easy to forget the procedure.
(sorry french windows)
Thanks.
image.thumb.png.fc375c0c17cb80b6f8ded19f784068a6.png

The program has, in principle, the wrong structure of text and buttons. In normal programs, the size of buttons and text is related to the user's screen resolution, as a percentage of the resolution, thus, at any resolution, the text looks distinguishable without a magnifying glass, and the buttons are not made the size of a chocolate bar on the whole screen or with a USB connector. In 3D Coat, the sizes of text and buttons are set not relatively, but absolutely. Therefore, all the problems with this arise here.

I wrote to the developer about this, but he does not have a 4k monitor, so for now. We are waiting for Andrew to save up money to buy a 4k monitor.

Hi All,

What menu should be displayed in the retopo room when you RMB over an Item in the scuplt tree? I'm getting

3Dcoat-RMB.thumb.png.1fad0d9b6f0ccf719a29d3a3f6e21ae8.png

is that correct? i'm presuming it should be more like the old one. I was looking for the auto retopo. I am a bit of noob so correct me if i'm wrong.

Also if i right click on an any item as soon as i move that mouse the menu dissappears! I have to move the mouse fast and try a couple of times before being able to select anything on the menu.

cheers

Johnny

• Like 1

Regarding the Voxelization of subdivision preview objects:

In this example there is a cube and a cylinder sculpt object. Outside of the telltale name, the cylinder “PolyGroup1” looks like any other surface object in the sculpt room.
image.thumb.png.0e4257607c7678f72a6afa572feb8303.png
However, it is not. If you click on the “S” to turn it from a surface into a voxel object nothing happens because in this example it is being dynamically placed there from a subdivision preview in the modeling/retopo room.

First, there needs to be some visual indicator in the tree that this object is being generated dynamically from something else. (The name itself is not sufficient) There is a “bracket” convention used when an object has been resampled e.g. “[0.5]Cube” so something like “[Dyn]PolyGroup1” might work? (This should also be used for curves-generated objects)

Second, it doesn’t matter if the object is being generated dynamically: you should just be able to click the “S”, and have it voxelized in one move.
Right now to voxelize a subdivision preview in the sculpt room, you have to click the "S" and if nothing happens 1) switch to the modeling room 2) hunt down correct the poly group 3) select `Mesh > Unlink Sculpt mesh` 4) go back to the sculpting room 5) find the object again in the sculpt tree 6) click the “S” toggle button again.

Regarding retopo primitives:

image.thumb.png.afb1a654cc43e69a1619c1557266eaaa.png

• Like 1