3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Reputable Contributor

rotate around camera position makes sculpt object half transparent and glitchy

Flatten tool (surface tool for voxels) no longer works inverted (This tool with and without CTRL is very powerful sculpting tool in 4.9)

"Build" voxel tool vanished. It was the only tool to allow for very precise work in pure voxels, with "depth and opacity" pressure, and the third default alpha.

When working with a surface tool in voxel mode, you need to switch to a pure voxel tool for 3d-Coat to voxelize the object.
Should you fail to do so, object will be damaged when using other tools.
-for example : use cut off tool directly, object will be damaged. (this is true in 4.9 too)
(What makes things worse is that when working with multiple objects it is easy to get carried away, working on several at once, and forgetting that you were using a surface tool.)

With import > on brush, you can no longer start a stroke on mesh and then continue it "in the air". The tool just stop building when you reach the edge of existing mesh. (this new behaviour is very crippling)

With primitves transform, when ticking "transform/lattice toggle", the gizmo appears, but the lattice remains visible.
Each time you select a new primitive, the tool reverts to lattice. (impossible to remain in gizmo mode).
It is very difficult to grab the "move in screen space" tool on the gizmo on all primitives except the ring shape.
This is because when hidden inside an object, the "move in screen space" circle does not highlight on mouse over.

After maybe half an hour of testing the various things above, 3d-Coat asks me to save my work because it has become unstable. This has happened every single time I have spent a while testing tools.

Edited by Silas Merlin

I have a question, and I don't know if this is the right place for it, but:

I recently upgraded to a r9 5950 ryzen cpu, and noticed a massive increase in performance in texturing with large brushes in 3dcoat, so that means that its cpu thread based? is there going to be a GPU addition to that in the future? as in use both your CPU and your GPU to accelerate it even further?

• Contributor
26 minutes ago, Hdharris said:

I have a question, and I don't know if this is the right place for it, but:

I recently upgraded to a r9 5950 ryzen cpu, and noticed a massive increase in performance in texturing with large brushes in 3dcoat, so that means that its cpu thread based? is there going to be a GPU addition to that in the future? as in use both your CPU and your GPU to accelerate it even further?

May I ask which CPU did you upgraded from? It would be interesting to be able to ballpark the perceived increased performance knowing both CPU's.

Still, congrats on the new machine! :-)

Edited by Allabulle

8 minutes ago, Allabulle said:

May I ask which CPU did you upgraded from? It would be interesting to be able to ballpark the perceived increased performance knowing both CPU's.

Still, congrats on the new machine! :-)

oh, I had a r9 3900x! the new tech and design of the 5000 series was extremely noticeable and as that was the only hardware I changed (aside from the motherboard) that made it clear that was the source of the jump in performance! so from 12 cores to 16 cores, all of which can hit over 4.4ghz if necessary without OC'ing, and the brushes in texturing actually uses all threads available. Also, they decreased the amount of back and forth instructions have to go through across cores, which also makes for super responsive results!

Edited by Hdharris

• Contributor
43 minutes ago, Hdharris said:

oh, I had a r9 3900x! the new tech and design of the 5000 series was extremely noticeable and as that was the only hardware I changed (aside from the motherboard) that made it clear that was the source of the jump in performance! so from 12 cores to 16 cores, all of which can hit over 4.4ghz if necessary without OC'ing, and the brushes in texturing actually uses all threads available. Also, they decreased the amount of back and forth instructions have to go through across cores, which also makes for super responsive results!

Nice to know. Thanks for the explanation!

I'm on the fence about buying a new rig, knowing that difference in performance in a software I do use helps a lot. Also my CPU is ancient by today's standards.

• Contributor

Adding some psd files as alphas in the Brushes panel crashes 3DCoat instantly. Not all, but some psd files definitely crash 3DCoat.

Linux 2021.B55 build.

Again, like in the case of exr files, psd files should work in 3DCoat. But if not, it shouldn't crash the whole program. Sounds like a bug.

The same files work perfectly well in various other sculpting and 3D software.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Frimasson said:

A couple of bugs :

In paint room, the color picker dosen't work in the texture editor window
With the clone tool, the through all layers option  dosen''t work. 

i think thats the point...

clone tool clones...

• Advanced Member

Still experiencing crash when just trying to bake any mesh from retopo room. Futex Facility error. Something to do with the kernel maybe. Using kernel version 5.11.0-7620-generic. Linux POP OS>fresh install.

15 hours ago, Frimasson said:

A couple of bugs :

In paint room, the color picker dosen't work in the texture editor window
With the clone tool, the through all layers option  dosen''t work. 

in the paint room, you cannot change the radius of the brush using the middle button in a fairly gradual way.
And a USD import would be welcome

9.07.21 RC1

- Completely new folders structure. Really streamlined and logical as it was proposed in this thread. Almost all now is split between two folders - data and UserPrefs. As it is logical, UserPrefs is user-created content. Data is sort of temporary stuff. The folder in documents changed, now it is Docs/3DCoat-2021/. Even if the folders structure is changed it is compatible with the previous one. As soon as 3DCoat detects some files copied to the new location in Documents from the old one, it will convert the files to the new structure. Also, if you will install 3dcpack it will be installed correctly (except presets that use old tools that are not present in the toolset). So, to migrate from earlier beta you may copy folders from old beta to Docs/3DCoat-2021 or create 3dcpack in old beta and install using RC1 UI.

- huge amount of bugs fixed? some of them are listed below, but it is not the complete list.

- Fixed problem of nodes duplication when you press Cancel in shader editor.

- Fixed problem when after symmetrization coat switches to layer1.

- Factures (VerTextures) room is now functional, all tools work as expected. Render of VerTextures works as well. Export is generally possible, but still very tricky. Easier export - later, because it is rather an integration question.

- Crash fixed during Select By Rect (ClusteredMesh::IntersectFaceByRect())

- Presets creation improved, correct names for presets, probably strange names was causing different problems of presets.

- Brush engine warns the user if he switches other alpha, but the alpha is actually not used by the Brush, just to avoid confusion.

- Migration master improved, should be more useful now. Pay attention, it is migration from 4.9, migration from BETAS described in the first point.

- Fixed modeling edge loop creation problem, the higher priory of edge loop over the edging when edge double-clicked.

- Fixed problem when drawing the strip along the curve was not precise (there was the difference when the strip was painted manually and via curve). Generally, this fix increased the precision of strip painting in all cases - handpaint and via curve.

- Sticky keys are working correctly for all rooms. Read the help->Hotkeys&sticky keys.

- Painting with rotated brush corrected, now there is no first spot with incorrect direction.

- Build is more lightweight even if contains more default materials.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Contributor

MatCap creation no longer works in beta 2021.B56 Linux

With 2021.B55 Linux (previous) build I can, in the Shaders Panel in the Sculpt Room, follow these steps to create a new MatCap:

- Right click on a MatCap

- Construct New Shader

- Enter a name for the new MatCap Shader being created

- Change parameters in the Shader Settings

- Click OK and that's it.

With the new build now creates a black one (shaderless?) and the options to tweak the about to be new MatCap are not cloned from the MatCap selected, as before, but seem like options for a new PBR shader. It still doesn't create one.

Hi

In the release candidate, I still have the ambient occlusion  problems raised by @Yousung but normal maps and curvature bake fine (as per other beta versions). The ambient occlusion bakes as a black mess. In RC1, there is a new bug when baking the mesh - inner preview no longer works, the mesh does not change shape unless at an extreme figure - over a depth of 70 for me. Outer mesh preview works fine.

Thanks

Oli

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Trying to reproduce.... Still no lick. Does it happen always or occasionally? Does it happen for other edit boxes? Does it happen if you resize the right panel?

I can record longer video with different models if that would help.
It happens on edit boxes what renaming with single click i believe (surface materials and paint objects) It is always happens in any rooms in "surface materials" panel. In "paint objects" only for robot model. Resizing panel not changing this behavior, it effects even to floating panel. I have 125% system scale if this information needed

On 6/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, MarkC said:

Can we have LightWave 2020 Object support please.

Only v2015 (LWO2) format is currently supported.

Models from LW 2018/2019/2020 versions are LWO3 format.

Just re-pushing this.....^_^

Any answer to this?

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Trying to reproduce.... Still no lick. Does it happen always or occasionally? Does it happen for other edit boxes? Does it happen if you resize the right panel?

WHAT RESOLUTION ARE YOU USING?

21 minutes ago, iRadovsky said:

Hello guys! Why is latest Mac update .56 - doesn't support OSX 10.14 ?? It is big trouble for me! is it temporary?

It does say on the download page 'big sur'.

Hopefully this is not final, I too am on 10.14.

11 hours ago, sprayer said:

I can record longer video with different models if that would help.
It happens on edit boxes what renaming with single click i believe (surface materials and paint objects) It is always happens in any rooms in "surface materials" panel. In "paint objects" only for robot model. Resizing panel not changing this behavior, it effects even to floating panel. I have 125% system scale if this information needed

Please record. This is really strange that it is incorrect only for one window... And only for one model....

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

There is chance for this, but I can't guarantee. We have the guy in the team that makes support of different files formats gradually.

Could he possibly look into collada export ?
ever since I started using 3d-Coat in 2015, collada export has only worked if there is only one material present.

When there are more than one material the object becomes unuseable: materials are messed up. on reimport it is possible to see that something is wrong when inspacting carefully, but in order to see the full extent of the damage, you need to import the collada in an engine that works with collada (Second Life / Opensim) : the mesh will likely be split up into multiple parts and the faces will not hold texture.

While testing this I found a new problem :
It seems to no longer be possible to add an object into the paint room via file>import : when you do this, existing object(s) are deleted.

Also, in retopo room it is still not possible to "invert selection" with the Select tool. why ?