3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

48 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

tested and it works fine also using 1080p 

Hm ... using 3840x1600 here. Maybe it's a problem with high resolution or wide screen formats.

Edited by Artomiano

10.07.21 RC2

- Much better look in 4K. Controls scaled correctly. If you want an even bigger UI you may change the font, now it works better as well. If need you may adjust the interline distance and vertical shift of letters if need (in Preferences->Theme). If you will find some badly scaled controls - please report.

- Shaders construction fixed.

- Correct the scale of the smart material depth in scaled scenes.

- Progress bar (as header message) for long file copy during migration.

- some missing UI elements were recovered (rooms properties).

- For SpineTool Possibility to add (if hold Cntrl) Point By Click for mode Spline. Also can to Rotate the Spline Knots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

10.07.21 RC2

Now can create new shader using nodes, not only one shader > ok. 

If editing nodes, every shader have their individual node flow > ok.

But now on some old shaders, the new node flow -recently created- was included on their own settings.

Need to edit nodes > clear -on old ones- to get old shader settings back to normal.

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

10.07.21 RC2

- Much better look in 4K. Controls scaled correctly. If you want an even bigger UI you may change the font, now it works better as well. If need you may adjust the interline distance and vertical shift of letters if need (in Preferences->Theme). If you will find some badly scaled controls - please report.

- Correct the scale of the smart material depth in scaled scenes.

- Progress bar (as header message) for long file copy during migration.

- some missing UI elements were recovered (rooms properties).

- For SpineTool Possibility to add (if hold Cntrl) Point By Click for mode Spline. Also can to Rotate the Spline Knots

All fine now. The fields now have properly sizes. ;)

• Advanced Member

Concerning "construct new Shader". Specifically when trying to construct a new shader from one of the two existing default matcaps, after naming, the screen will freeze but not crash. Simply adjusting the window around in the monitor unfreezes it. However 3d coat will enter you into the PBR parameters rather than the Matcap dialog. If you cancel the operation at this point the new matcap shader is created anyway. From there you can edit the shader settings and the matcap dialog will appear as expected. Simply put the matcap dialog for "construct new shader" is replaced initially with the PBR dialog instead. 

Another issue is that once a new  matcap is created from one of the existing default ones, there is a file that fails to be generated into that new shaders userprefs folder. This missing file is the " CustomSampler3.dds". I have found significant viewport performance when this file is present. Now, once you construct new shaders from the new user shaders the file comes along and things work as they should. I have no idea why this "CustomSampler3.dds" file increases my performance or why it is relevant.

This error is also present in 4.9.75

On Linux Ubuntu 21.04 Based.

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, ebitz said:

Concerning "construct new Shader". Specifically when trying to construct a new shader from one of the two existing default matcaps, after naming, the screen will freeze but not crash. Simply adjusting the window around in the monitor unfreezes it. However 3d coat will enter you into the PBR parameters rather than the Matcap dialog. If you cancel the operation at this point the new matcap shader is created anyway. From there you can edit the shader settings and the matcap dialog will appear as expected. Simply put the matcap dialog for "construct new shader" is replaced initially with the PBR dialog instead. 

Another issue is that once a new  matcap is created from one of the existing default ones, there is a file that fails to be generated into that new shaders userprefs folder. This missing file is the " CustomSampler3.dds". I have found significant viewport performance when this file is present. Now, once you construct new shaders from the new user shaders the file comes along and things work as they should. I have no idea why this "CustomSampler3.dds" file increases my performance or why it is relevant.

This error is also present in 4.9.75

On Linux Ubuntu 21.04 Based.

Is this is RC2 or RC1?

It seems Andrew has addressed some of the shader bugs, but I haven't tested myself yet.

• Reputable Contributor

Autopo without any strokes or freeze seems to work really much better than in 4.9.

However, I guess there is always going to be an area that could be better. Let's say the edges cut accross an ear.
so you think, ok, let's draw this one stroke and try again.

And then the problems start. Now the edges follow the ear alright, but the topology is wrong  where it was good before.
it is a vicious circle, you have to add more and more strokes and run autopo each time.

In the end your model is covered with strokes and frozen areas.

I wonder if it would be possible to change that. maybe partial autopo to complete a mesh (in the example above you would remove the geometry of the ear, add a stroke and run partial autopo afterwards?)
or a tool to tell 3d-Coat, "ok, you did well in all those areas, try to recreate the same mesh but do take this new stroke into account".
ot something like that ?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

Autopo without any strokes or freeze seems to work really much better than in 4.9.

However, I guess there is always going to be an area that could be better. Let's say the edges cut accross an ear.
so you think, ok, let's draw this one stroke and try again.

And then the problems start. Now the edges follow the ear alright, but the topology is wrong  where it was good before.
it is a vicious circle, you have to add more and more strokes and run autopo each time.

In the end your model is covered with strokes and frozen areas.

I wonder if it would be possible to change that. maybe partial autopo to complete a mesh (in the example above you would remove the geometry of the ear, add a stroke and run partial autopo afterwards?)
or a tool to tell 3d-Coat, "ok, you did well in all those areas, try to recreate the same mesh but do take this new stroke into account".
ot something like that ?

any automatic topology will have problems... but if its just a quick retopology for a project they work excellent, luckily we live in a world where memory is becoming our only problem , so higher poly meshes dont really mater anymore... go on enjoy yourself... add a few more thousand to the number and enjoy a cleaner looking model

Edited by Elemeno

• Advanced Member

I'm still having some issues with making new shaders where some of the nodes seem to persist even when I change to another shader.  For example, I put a 3D voronoi node into a cavity i/o node and then it seemed to carry over to other shaders that I hadn't edited.

• Contributor

Could we please have settings in the Preferences panel to enable "CUDA" and "Cuda (sic) Smooth Boost"  by default when we start a new session of 3DCoat?

Now we have to enable it every single time in the Geometry menu. Even for saved projects that were usign it. It makes a significant difference in performance, at least in my system. That is using the Linux Build, I don't know if the issue is the same in other operating systems' builds.

Apologies if it's already there, I couldn't find it.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Excuse me, but it would be better if 3d-Coat remembered the setting in the geometry menu (like it does in 4.9) rather than having it in preferences.
The reason is that it is a setting that needs to be toggled on and off :

-Scrape tool is basically useless with Cuda on, in my opinion, so you need to toggle it off when using Scrape tool.

-Grow tool is super nice with Cuda on, but on occasion you may want to switch it off so as to be able to create geometry with it by pressing hard on geometry that is on another layer, which is quite convenient in some cases.

there are probably other similar cases when you need to toggle it, but scrape tool is the one that comes to mind.

• Contributor
54 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Excuse me, but it would be better if 3d-Coat remembered the setting in the geometry menu (like it does in 4.9) rather than having it in preferences.
The reason is that it is a setting that needs to be toggled on and off :

-Scrape tool is basically useless with Cuda on, in my opinion, so you need to toggle it off when using Scrape tool.

-Grow tool is super nice with Cuda on, but on occasion you may want to switch it off so as to be able to create geometry with it by pressing hard on geometry that is on another layer, which is quite convenient in some cases.

there are probably other similar cases when you need to toggle it, but scrape tool is the one that comes to mind.

Fine by me. I just don't want to have to remember to turn it on every time. I just want to be able to let it on by default (and turn it off if needed be) or vice versa.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, sprayer said:

@Andrew Shpagin

First stroke still mirrored and shape of alpha wrong in surface mode

Also spacing somehow effects depth for strips

have you tried converting in surface?

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

have you tried converting in surface?

It was in surface mode, voxel working fine if you asking about alpha brush problem. You may check on your side, brush pack i was share couples pages ago

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, gbball said:

Is this is RC2 or RC1?

It seems Andrew has addressed some of the shader bugs, but I haven't tested myself yet.

No RC for linux yet. Using B56.

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Question for 4K owners - is the default Large font enough good in terms of letters size? What diagonal do you have?

I always worked on 2K monitors (rather because it is most distributed), but plan to move to 4K soon.

I use 150 - 200% because my monitor is only 24 inches.

But, I'm curious, will this be handled in 3D Coat or through the Windows 10 settings?  The reason being.  If I leave my Windows 10 UI scaling at 100%, it's too small for all my other applications, even if 3D Coat does its own scaling.  So this creates an awkward situation when switching applications.

Once I scale the UI through the Windows 10 settings it causes problems with brush offset in 3D Coat.  But for me this would be preferable because it will make everything I do outside of 3D Coat more workable.

If I leave my Windows 10 UI scaling at 100%, it's too small for all my other applications, even if 3D Coat does its own scaling.  So this creates an awkward situation when switching applications.

Once I scale the UI through the Windows 10 settings it causes problems with brush offset in 3D Coat.  But for me this would be preferable because it will make everything I do outside of 3D Coat more workable.

You can create custom screen DPI settings per application in Windows 10.

Locate the 3D Coat executable in Windows file browser, right-click into its Properties, go into the Compatibility tab, click on 'Change high DPI settings', uptick both options within the DPI settings that open. Choose the DPI override to be done by Application.

Your 3D Coat scaling will now be independent from the overall setting for the other apps.
It also helps with GL versions of 3D Coat struggling to scale UI properly in fullscreen mode.

Edited by kt2
Quote inclusion

11.07.21 RC3

- Fixed problem of flipped alpha when stroke starts.

- Fixed red frames with CTRL SHIFT.

- Shader assignment with nodes fixed.

- Polishing. Mesh preview got color. Corrected annoying messages appearance.

- 3d printing room. Generally 3d printing menu and functionality polished.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

There still is a crash present when trying to bake w normal map in retopo room. Using RC2 on linux 5.11. Syslog records this at crash "Jul 11 18:12:32 pop-os org.gnome.Nautilus[72140]: The futex facility returned an unexpected error code."