3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

On 7/8/2021 at 10:58 PM, ebitz said:

Still experiencing crash when just trying to bake any mesh from retopo room. Futex Facility error. Something to do with the kernel maybe. Using kernel version 5.11.0-7620-generic. Linux POP OS>fresh install.

I'm having the same issue, but without the Futex error. Let me know if you find a solution :)

Just now, oah1981 said:

@Andrew Shpagin thank you for your reply, but using the licence on the first page still does not work and I have never seen any warnings in the program around limited mesh capabilities in learning mode.

But I see on the screenshot that you use an expired license (till 10 July). The first page offers a license till 20 July.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:58 AM, ebitz said:

Still experiencing crash when just trying to bake any mesh from retopo room. Futex Facility error. Something to do with the kernel maybe. Using kernel version 5.11.0-7620-generic. Linux POP OS>fresh install.

Does it happen even in the simplest possible workflow - 

1) Fresh scene, biggest sphere from start thumbnail.

2) Retopo room, one quad. Subdivide twice to 16 quads.

3) Bake->Bake with normal map

4) Go to paint room.

Does it crash on (3) on your side?

9 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Does it happen even in the simplest possible workflow - 

1) Fresh scene, biggest sphere from start thumbnail.

2) Retopo room, one quad. Subdivide twice to 16 quads.

3) Bake->Bake with normal map

4) Go to paint room.

Does it crash on (3) on your side?

Correct it crashes on step 3.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I checked Copy&Subtract. It looks like merge but actually not. One Mesh subtracted from the other but both kept in the scene. Just hide subtracted mesh and you will see. 

@Carlosan@Andrew Shpagin

Copy and Subtract issue Mac version video

32 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Trying to find the source of problem. 

Does any of next commands work on stage 3? From the Bake menu.

Retopo->Per pixel (no baking)

Bake with pixel with displacement

Bake into scene (microvertex)

Retopo -> per pixel (no baking) works, but everything else crashes the program

• Advanced Member

@Carlosan @Andrew Shpagin

Yes, in case of V4 version
"Show voxels in paint room = Off"
This will solve the baking problem for AO and Curvature .

But not in 2021!!:(
Turning the option off makes it invisible in Paint-Room, but clearly affects baking.

There is an inconvenience of having to go directly to the Sculpt-Room and hide the high-poly mesh directly.

4 minutes ago, Yousung said:

@Carlosan @Andrew Shpagin

Yes, in case of V4 version
"Show voxels in paint room = Off"
This will solve the baking problem for AO and Curvature .

But not in 2021!!:(
Turning the option off makes it invisible in Paint-Room, but clearly affects baking.

There is an inconvenience of having to go directly to the Sculpt-Room and hide the high-poly mesh directly.

Ah, then understood. I will recover that.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:57 PM, TheFlow said:

1) There's a strange Wacom (Intuos Pro) cursor offset for me also, the cursor appears like 100 or 200pixels left from there my pen actually is.

2) The UI scaling on my 4k screen looks "blurry", is there a way to natively use 3D Coat for HiDPI screens?

I'm quoting myself from 10th of April this year. The offset bug still persists on a freshly installed 2021.02. It works if I change my tablet settings to "TabletPC" tho.

• Contributor

Hi, having some problem, likely bug with selections and selecting faces in modeling / retopo room since B55, currently on 2021.02 and it has persisted
My guess is, this has to do with new method of selecting faces

Expected behavior: ctrl+LMB with brush deselects faces,  behavior in build: some new faces are selected, some deselected but not always

Deselecting / selecting using rectangle works fine though

Has nothing to do with this but want to say finally, congratulations on the release and thanks to entire pilgway team, I upgraded my license today and is very satisfied with 2021 overall
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

All functionality that is actually lost will be recovered in terms of new tools and approaches. I removed (I was sure that) only duplicate things, so if something really useful is removed, I will restore it. I am really eager to make the program better. As I understood, you lost

That is good to hear, thank you.
In my opinion it is very good to have "duplicate things", because :
1. "duplicates" are never quite the same, and the small change in behaviour between two similar tools may very well make all the difference for someone out there.
2. the abundance of tools and the many ways to achieve the same thing that Coat provide are precisely what make it possible to find workaround when there is a bug. Workarounds are needed until the bug is fixed, which sometimes takes years to happen.

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

2) Build tool? There are several similar tools in surface and voxels. What exactly do you need?

This one might be difficult to explain.
I know that voxels are meant only for blocking out, and then you are meant to finish in surface mode, however, sometimes it just makes sense to remain in voxel mode until the end. Even more so now that there are so many surface tools that work in voxel mode.
Now, the peculiarity of the build tool in 4.9 is that it is very precise. It allows to work on the single voxel level. For example let's try to make a crease with a voxel tool in 4.9 and 2021 :

3) Rotate around the camera. Do you mean option in navigation? Camera as the pivot?

Yes, it works, but it makes the display glitch. geometry becomes half transparent and when there is more than one object, they fight on screen :

4) Import, on the brush is missing? I looked, seems it works. What is wrong?

The ability to "draw in the air" is now missing.
That said, having removed this ability may very well have effectively solved an issue there is/was with it :
when you use on brush extensively, something happens to the vox layer that makes it very, very slow to save the file (think long minutes or even half an hour).
the model sometimes gets imported into the scene at a great distance from where you are working, maybe hundreds of meters. This might be part of the problem with saving, but I am not sure.

I have found that moving the geometry to a new layer sovles that, so I think the problem is more that the layer itself becomes corrupted, rather than the size of the scene due to bits of geometry in the far distance, but it could be both.

Anyway, here is a video showing the change in behaviour :

What is more?

There are other things for sure, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Well, like I said above, the ability to place pivot by clicking has vanished long ago in V4, it was very useful to save time, rather than holding shift and moving the gizmo.
By the way, moving an object or moving the pivot with the gizmo is problematic, because you can only go so far : when your pointer leaves the 3d viewport, releasing LMB is no longer enough to apply the change. (you have to do a left click).

some stroke modes have vanished for some tools too. modes that were actually useful, but I can't remember which ones now. I think this all happened at the time when the whole code was rewritten in V4.

32 minutes ago, TheFlow said:

I'm quoting myself from 10th of April this year. The offset bug still persists on a freshly installed 2021.02. It works if I change my tablet settings to "TabletPC" tho.

1. You can always enable "High DPI" mode in "3DCoat":
Go to "3DCoat" executable file "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.02\3DCoatGL64.exe" > [RMB] Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings > High DPI scaling override >  set "Application"
Then run this "3DCoat" executable. Go to Edit > Preferences > Theme > Font Size > set "Large"
2. Please note that "TabletPC" mode is considered like the main tablet API for "3DCoat" in Windows. This is because Surface devices support only "TabletPC". The "WinTab" is considered a legacy.

@Andrew Shpagin hi Andrew, tried fresh install of 3d coat, restarted machine, I still cannot add a primative to the modelling or retopo rooms, only in the sculpt room. But my occlusion baking issue is solved by @Yousung - if I hide the sculpt room objects in the sculpt room, then calculate occlusion, it bakes fine and there is no longer any crashing - but to confirm, hide voxels in paint room has no impact on the issue. The object must be hidden in the sculpt room to stop the error and crashing. Same when baking lights. thanks

4 minutes ago, oah1981 said:

@Andrew Shpagin hi Andrew, tried fresh install of 3d coat, restarted machine, I still cannot add a primative to the modelling or retopo rooms, only in the sculpt room. But my occlusion baking issue is solved by @Yousung - if I hide the sculpt room objects in the sculpt room, then calculate occlusion, it bakes fine and there is no longer any crashing - but to confirm, hide voxels in paint room has no impact on the issue. The object must be hidden in the sculpt room to stop the error and crashing. Same when baking lights. thanks

The crash is fixed in build 02 (in first page). But the retopo models problem still can't reproduce. 

53 minutes ago, SERGYI said:

1. You can always enable "High DPI" mode in "3DCoat":
Go to "3DCoat" executable file "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.02\3DCoatGL64.exe" > [RMB] Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings > High DPI scaling override >  set "Application"
Then run this "3DCoat" executable. Go to Edit > Preferences > Theme > Font Size > set "Large"
2. Please note that "TabletPC" mode is considered like the main tablet API for "3DCoat" in Windows. This is because Surface devices support only "TabletPC". The "WinTab" is considered a legacy.

We have reproduced the "offset problem". But only in "TabletPC" mode and only when "High DPI" mode is enabled. We will fix that.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I have some brushing issues in V2021.02

Tablet: Huion Kamvas Pro 24'

Settings 1:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: Win Tab

- Huion settings app - Windows Ink enabled

Result: no brushing at all

Settings 2:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: TabletPC

Result: pressure and brushing works, but choppy as hell and unpredictable

Settings 3:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: WinTab

- Huion settings app - Windows Ink disabled

Oh, and some issues with 3dconnexion  - laggy/choppy in default mode, works ok with API from 4.xx

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this was mentioned but:

Surface mode:

Trim Adaptive, Chisel and Flat Polish brushes all have a symmetry problem. 

Flatten and the other brushes I tried work normally under same conditions.

24 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

Hi,

I have some brushing issues in V2021.02

Tablet: Huion Kamvas Pro 24'

Settings 1:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: Win Tab

Settings 2:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: TabletPC

Result: pressure and brushing works, but choppy as hell and unpredictable

Settings 3:

- 3DCoat - tablet interface: WinTab

- Huion settings app - Windows Ink disabled

Oh, and some issues with 3dconnexion  - laggy/choppy in default mode, works ok with API from 4.xx

I forwarded to the guy responsible for tablets support. Regarding 3DConnexion - go to preferences and try both approaches - old and new. Some of them should work.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, linnos said:

Still crashes

Hey Andrew. Yes I am in the same boat as linnos. If I turn off the voxel sculpt object it will do the same thing as "Bake per-pixel (No Baking)" option. That does create a new paint mesh in paint room but no baking. All other baking options for micro vertex, normal map and displacement crash while the sculpt mesh is visible. This crash also occurs in 4.9.75.