3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

13.07.21 3DCoat-2021.03

- Symmetry issues fixed (Chiesel, etc).

- Rotation around camera origin improved - no z - flickering, much faster camera tracking with MMB.

- Build tool in voxels restored.

- Import tool draws in empty space beyond the model (as in 4.9).

- Flatten invert action done.

- Projector updates parameters changes correctly in incrementally rendering mode.

- Copy&Subtract works correctly via menu.

- Correct primitives scale and position in retopo/modeling is scaled scenes.

At the first page link is correct (and was correct), the problem was on mirror downloads. 

• Thanks 3

• Advanced Member

Just found it Carlosan. Thanks. Not sure what I am looking for though concerning my crashing issue while trying to bake in the retoporoom. I do see alot of UI identifier(s) missing. "CameraInWorldCenter" not found, "CameraFor2DPaint" not found, "IMPORT_VDB_OBJECT" not found, "StartObjTransform3D" not found. Also image files that it can't load. Can't save file "data/Temp/id53968/TextureCache/Normalmap_173428_Default_color.png" is in the log as well. Not sure if it helps with crash "bake to normal map"

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
57 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Rotation around camera origin improved - no z - flickering, much faster camera tracking with MMB.

- Build tool in voxels restored.

- Import tool draws in empty space beyond the model (as in 4.9).

- Flatten invert action done.

Rotation around camera origin works fine now, thanks !
So does drawing in empty space with import tool !

-Build tool has no effect whatsoever, what am I doing wrong ?
-same with flatten invert, no effect.

(See video below)

Now, when watching the video, notice how the little camera icon vanished each time during a stroke ? I find that very, very distracting. am I the only one who is annoyed by this ?
I just can't get used to it.
Also, I would like to have a light colour in the background on top of the screen, but the toolbar makes it not practical : the icons are difficult to differenciate against light background :
image.thumb.png.707885964b31bcfb1e16dbc76f7026af.png

Also, I notice that now when you set a projector from stencil, the display updates instantly in the 3d viewport, whereas before you had to move the camera a bit to see the changes. Is that what was fixed ?
Because, if that is the case, there are still other cases when you don't see a change occur in the 3d viewport until you move your camera.
Sadly, the only one I can think of at the moment is when you change the colour of the background. but there are other cases, I'm sure.

another type of situation when the display does not update in real time is when you navigate in the render room with a 3d mouse.
you have to click with the mouse at the same time as you navigate, otherwise the display just does not follow until you stop and click with mouse.
Here in the first half of the following video, I navigate with LMB down, then I let go of it and continue navigating :

• Reputable Contributor

here is a novel (I think?) idea to deal with the clutter (rather than removing "duplicate" tools).

What if Coat recorded your use of tools over time ?
after a while (let's say 50 hours of active use), a new button would appear in the UI (prominent, but in a corner, it could appear with a flash, some lighting effect, to make sure people notice it).
When you press that button, the tools you never used vanish, and the ones you seldom use are a bit greyed out.
In the menus, items do not vanish, but the ones you have not used are a bit dimmed.

When you need an "archived" tool, press the button again to make everything visible.

• Advanced Member

To the Devs. I have to say the brush performance and screen performance with hi res meshes is fantastic. The brushes also feel much better with behavior that is more natural and expected. IMO. Nice work.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Pushing Blob, Sphere and 2D Paint to my machines limit. I was able to reach around 55 mil tris on a single layer which is cool.

No problems with any of the above but a question:

When I reached 55mil tries, normally 3d Coat was lagging, so I thought I should create a new vox layer, delete the 55 mil layer and keep experimenting but the lag was still there hence the question:

Is there a way to tell 3D Coat to relax without starting a new project?

In my case after deleting the heavy layer the only thing I tried is clearing all caches which didnt really help much and I'm not that experienced to find any other solution.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, ebitz said:

To the Devs. I have to say the brush performance and screen performance with hi res meshes is fantastic. The brushes also feel much better with behavior that is more natural and expected. IMO. Nice work.

Agreed. I'm trying to do stupid things on very high poly meshes just to test and so far so good.

I managed to get a crash by trying to split a 75mil surface object only :D

Hello,

I found a bug when using the Activity bar. When I target an option that hovers over the viewport. The UI disappears before I can click something. That only happens when I'm not in fullscreen mode. The activity bar is -for me- impossible to use outside of the full screen.

UIBug.thumb.png.fd76778ec1b59cf5cb2f807385bde8b9.png

Proxy Slider: 

Proxyslider/Restore Icon on Objekt that was reduced/decimated is missing. Only able to restore via Geometry -> Caching. 

Using Version 2021.01

At this point, I would also like to say a big thank you. 3D Coat looks so much more professional and the brushes feel great. And your pricing policy is absolutely fair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ebitz said:

Hey Andrew. Yes I am in the same boat as linnos. If I turn off the voxel sculpt object it will do the same thing as "Bake per-pixel (No Baking)" option. That does create a new paint mesh in paint room but no baking. All other baking options for micro vertex, normal map and displacement crash while the sculpt mesh is visible. This crash also occurs in 4.9.75.

Sergyi works over that Linux crash, it is not easy because we can't reproduce it. Probably he will install the same Linux image and try.

17 minutes ago, Daffyd said:

Hello,

I found a bug when using the Activity bar. When I target an option that hovers over the viewport. The UI disappears before I can click something. That only happens when I'm not in fullscreen mode. The activity bar is -for me- impossible to use outside of the full screen.

UIBug.thumb.png.fd76778ec1b59cf5cb2f807385bde8b9.png

Proxy Slider: 

Proxyslider/Restore Icon on Objekt that was reduced/decimated is missing. Only able to restore via Geometry -> Caching. 

Using Version 2021.01

At this point, I would also like to say a big thank you. 3D Coat looks so much more professional and the brushes feel great. And your pricing policy is absolutely fair.

Thanks a lot! It happens if you hover the mouse outside the activity area. Of course it is bug to be fixed, but there is a workaround - don't move the mouse outside.

And in 04 the Cache/Uncache will be restored.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Minor observation, but was the Brush tool (original name) supposed to be replaced with "Pen" for 2021? Pens are generally defined as writing instruments for applying ink to paper (can include other surfaces), so it looks a bit out of place when acting as the former "brush" tool (brushes are associated with paint, thus 3D Coat's paint imagery).

Edited by RabenWulf
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
51 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Try to RMB over button->Restore deault

Yes, refreshing was fixed.

This worked for Flatten tool, thank you.
image.png.854e2e3e590649dd6fe6f952ddbabfac.png

As for Build tool, the right click menu does not have "Restore default", so it still does not work on my end.
image.png.3d419ec647de9a853f13e5b236476fba.png

• Reputable Contributor

I spoke of this before but I will explain again with a video this time.

In the video I first use a surface tool in voxel mode, and then switch directly to cut off tool.
The geometry is still in temporary surface mode, therefore when I do a cut, Coat gets confused between the voxels and the surface representation and mingles the two in the resulting cut.

Next, I undo, and this time, before switching to cut off tool and making the cut, I switch to a pure voxel tool. In the viewport you see the geometry changing to voxels at that moment. In this case the cut works as expected.

What I have not shown in the video is that if you select another vox layer while a surface tool is active, the first layer will remain in temporary surface mode, which is likely to cause similar issues when you switch back to it later, depending on what tool you have active.

I think it is imperative that when using a surface tool in voxel mode,  Coat turns back to voxels whenever you :
1. Switch to a tool that is not a surface tool (so, not with move tool if "voxelize immediately" is unticked).
2. Switch layers

4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Sergyi works over that Linux crash, it is not easy because we can't reproduce it. Probably he will install the same Linux image and try.

@SERGYII recorded a video of the issue attached to this comment if that helps. I'm running PopOS Cosmic which is based off of the latest ubuntu 21.04 I believe. AMD GPU and CPU.

2021-07-14 07-55-35.mkv

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SERGYI said:

We have reproduced the "offset problem". But only in "TabletPC" mode and only when "High DPI" mode is enabled. We will fix that.

Fixed the problem "pen offset" in "TabletPC" interface using "High DPI" mode. See the nearest build for Windows.

TabletPC-HighDPI.jpg

• Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, nobackup said:

using transform without gizmo, i feel we need a way to control where the origin is using scale and rotate.  If there is a way I can't find it.  Perhaps it could be based on where your cursor is.

Try pressing F