3DCoat Forums

9 minutes ago, gbball said:

I think this is a useful panel, but it would be better as a mouse pop under with a certain keypress.  It would be far more useful that way.

Absolutely, maybe we could have both ways ;)

24 minutes ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Absolutely, maybe we could have both ways ;)

Can we at least resize the icons they are ugly that big drop them to the same size as the other icons in the tool bar?

24 minutes ago, Scary M said:

Can we at least resize the icons they are ugly that big drop them to the same size as the other icons in the tool bar?

Good idea, maybe we could have the tiny/normal/large/huge option like we have for panels, maybe in the Preferences, in order to save more space on UI.
What do you think?

6 hours ago, bisenberger said:

Doesn't launch for me. The only launch option that shows up is GL.

OpenGL is the only option for 2021 and going forward.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Scary M said:

I suggested the same thing...that they would be just like the navigation bar, but vertically aligned beneath the Camera icon.

So I was able to at least try the new version by setting both my screens to same resolutionThose of us having an issue with an offset as a temp workaround you can set the resolution of multi screen setup to be the same resolution

Amazing job on the Smart Retopo Tool, works perfect.

The knife in the retopo room is excellent as well, I like how it knows to connect a corner edge to make a quad when making a vertex in the center of a face, very slick.

In the paint room, I can not get the curve stroke to paint, I see the percentage counting to 100 in the top left window but no paint is being applied.

Also when using brush along curve or run brush along projection, when using Curves, no paint is being applied for those either.

I was able to get one crash using the stitches tool in the sculpting room.

I also noticed things got really slow when sculpting with the AirBrush.

4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

What is wrong with navigation? Please explain.

Before , for to move in the screen (PAN), the stylus had to touch the wacom then to make a right click then to move (PAN)
Now, I have to make a right click (in the void) (so zoom) and then put the stylus on the screen of the wacom.
Does 3Dcoat he changed? Is this a wrong driver?

I'm looking forward to trying out the new features.
Can I request that you support multiple UV sets? (Not just udims or mutiple meshes)

I'm a generalist and when I'm doing technical art for games I often use one mesh that has multiple UV sets on the same vertices. This allows lots of special effects. Most commonly trim mapping, where one set of uvs is used for light mapping and another set is used to place lots of details from a trim atlas, on the same polygons.

When I'm writing a shader for Unity I would import the UVsets using something like this.

struct appdata
            {
                float4 vertex : POSITION;
                float4 uv : TEXCOORD0;
                float4 lightUV : TEXCOORD1;
            };

struct v2f
            {
                float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
                float4 lightUV : TEXCOORD1;
                float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
                float4 color : COLOR;
            };

Most of the major 3d packages use UVsets (maya, max, blender etc) and fbx supports multiple UVsets. Yet I can't find any 3d paint packages which support multiple UV sets.
Now that you're introducing nodes. Would it be possible to have a node which associates a texture with a UVset?
I've attached a model which has multiple UVsets.

uvTest.fbx

• Thanks 1

The dual screen thing doesn't work at all. I'm using a Wacom 24" pro and an LG 4k next to it and the primitives come in totally stretched out, distorted. This is not the way to dual or triple monitor an app. Houdini does it best with Maya a close second.  You have to have floating attribute editors  that you can tear right off the main window and place around at wil and  in justice to 3D Coat there is no sculpting program that can multi monitor properly. Sculpting programs have to run super fast since they handle millions of polys that would freeze up normal DCCs so you find that Zbrush, Mudbox and 3D Coat cannot off load menus and attribute editors as separate windows from their main window.

gb8RrYN.jpg

CFvdhAO.jpg

Frankly I find that doing without multiscreening is not an issue. What is an issue is the manual/documentation. I would have liked it to be as good as Rhino 3D's at the very least. Asking for Houdini's level of documentation would be a bit of overkill.

18 hours ago, Scary M said:

Those who have had offset problem like in my vid above do you have multiple displays?

yep, running triple monitors here. 

image1_tweak.jpg.318aff62a7aaa6e3882f233727483e64.jpg   this room seems a bit pointless why not combine these with retopo or modellingimage2_modellingtools.jpg.86e3022b98afbff651cee246e63833f2.jpgadding simple things like a plane has a ridiculous amount of options.. the workflow is way too slow on the      modelling side of things 1339062526_image3_modelliingtools.thumb.jpg.24ee6bd66fa74773ea02a09bc67b98b3.jpgalso the tools inside modelling are so darn complex we really need a faster work flow ,i cant find any shortcuts for extruding,loop cuts, or even making the gizmo appear which is madness...when i go to loop cuts you dont get an exact middle , its very hard to be precise 

• Like 2

The Constructor tool is interesting to me but I can't get it to work as I would expect it to. The corner pieces seem to be too big for the square and don't line up evenly. Is this working as intended?

constructor3.png.74db0225d53444837e0d72bdfe27d372.png

Edit: Somebody marked this as "confused". I don't know if that means my question was unclear or they are just unfamiliar with this tool. In case it is the former what I am referring to is that I would expect the corner shapes to be symmetrical with the cube shape and not stick out over the edge, as they are in the Joints tool seen below.

joints2.png.b453189792df17beda2c5c99d4a1e018.png

Edited by Wizardkiss
Added more information.
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

First of all, I used 2021 only for a couple of hours, but, at the moment, I like that idea: I could close some panels, because those icons open the same and I can save space.
I need more time with that, but it's not so bad.

the idea is good [maybe not for me ] but I just saying about UI overlook

2 hours ago, superman punch said:

image.thumb.png.53b480b4986dbe6f6a25d1def411ac6f.png

I organized the interface for personal use.
It would be good to refer to it.

Thank you.

well, not for everyone. I don't use presets, too messy; alphas and tool options are more important

39 minutes ago, tcwik said:

the idea is good [maybe not for me ] but I just saying about UI overlook

Absolutely!
You know, it would even better if you could move those icons anywhere you need or take them off, like you can edit your Firefox UI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RetopoBro said:

In the paint room, I can not get the curve stroke to paint, I see the percentage counting to 100 in the top left window but no paint is being applied.

Also when using brush along curve or run brush along projection, when using Curves, no paint is being applied for those either.

Even in sculpt room, the curve stroke is not working or it's very unpredictable:
Tried with other brushes/alphas, it seems to me it's unreliable at the moment.

curveStroke_applied.jpg

curveStroke_result.jpg

As an artist, I planned to use 3DCoat for further concept arts. But I'm not sure if I want anymore. I know, there are some artist who're doing this way. But for me - coming from Photoshop & Co. - the workflow and the UI is ... creepy. I'm sorry. ;) I own 3DCoat for years. Stepped in many times ... only for a couple of trials - and let it fallen because it's not really accessible. Maybe it's on me. I know there is a learning curve but ... I worked in many creative apps, like Photoshop, Indesign, PremierePro, Audition, Metashape, Substance, Blender and more ... but only 3DCoat seems to be a "wall". I do not understand it. I want it ... really. But ... it's so difficult. When Pilgway announces the upcoming version 2021 I hoped so much for a _really_ better entry and workflow. But it didn't happen. :(

Maybe Pilgway could publish a whole (new) set of learning videos (not only these 40 sec. trailers) to train us how they think an effective workflow should go. Could be helpful.

Edited by Artomiano
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

The dual screen thing doesn't work at all. I'm using a Wacom 24" pro and an LG 4k next to it and the primitives come in totally stretched out, distorted. This is not the way to dual or triple monitor an app. Houdini does it best with Maya a close second.  You have to have floating attribute editors  that you can tear right off the main window and place around at wil and  in justice to 3D Coat there is no sculpting program that can multi monitor properly. Sculpting programs have to run super fast since they handle millions of polys that would freeze up normal DCCs so you find that Zbrush, Mudbox and 3D Coat cannot off load menus and attribute editors as separate windows from their main window.

gb8RrYN.jpg

CFvdhAO.jpg

Frankly I find that doing without multiscreening is not an issue. What is an issue is the manual/documentation. I would have liked it to be as good as Rhino 3D's at the very least. Asking for Houdini's level of documentation would be a bit of overkill.

I should clarify that I Never said I stretch the application over multiple screens, my issue is I cannot run the app at all on single screen when I have two displays or more displays of different resolutions, hardware accelerated application should really be kept on a single screen. If you look at my video I have it displayed on one screen. With the offset present. Setting the resolution to the same on all displays means I can at least run 3dc on one screen.

My issue is not a multi screen support only the ability too use the application at all on one screen.

41 minutes ago, Artomiano said:

As an artist, I planned to use 3DCoat for further concept arts. But I'm not sure if I want anymore. I know, there are some artist who're doing this way. But for me - coming from Photoshop & Co. - the workflow and the UI system is ... creepy. I'm sorry. ;) I own 3DCoat for years. Stepped in many times ... only for a couple of trials - and let it fallen because it's not really accessible. Maybe it's on me. I know there is a learning curve but ... I worked in many creative apps, like Photoshop, Indesign, PremierePro, Audition, Metashape, Substance, Blender and more ... but only 3DCoat seems to be a "wall". I do not understand it. I want it ... really. But ... it's so difficult. When Pilgway announcec the upcoming version 2021 I hoped so much for a _really_ better entry and workflow. But it didn't happen. :(

Maybe Pilgway could publish a whole (new) set of learning videos (not only these 40 sec. trailers) to train us how they think an effective workflow should go. Could be helpful.

There is no clear path it all depends on what you want to do with the application?  From just texturing and baking maps from an asset you have built elsewhere,  sculpting a start to finish project,  tweaking normal map from another software. Retopology of external asset.

I'll admit there is a plethora of confusing options especially for baking. I usually have a very set course when I use it, I often incorporate many different tools using 3dc for specific tasks within that pipeline. 

3DCoat is a Far cry from Photoshop by design. It has elements from it sure but they are there for specific tasks. What are you hoping to do with it.

I'm not defending it's often confusing complexity, just trying to understand what you want from it and how you wish to work with it.

We would all like to help make it better and more attainable usable in multiple workflows pipelines.

Edited by Scary M
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scary M said:

We would all like to help make it better and more attainable usable in multiple workflows pipelines.

Amen to that!