3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

0000918: Layer0 - by default to make it locked

Displacement is exported using the difference of a vertex's position and its position on Layer 0.

Vertice positions will be taken from Layer 0. This is the preferred option for low-poly export.

New user dont know about it, and there is a eternal asking about layer0 and why not to paint it.

To lock Layer0 by default to all paint modes solve all the troubles

(rename it to Mesh Layer could help too)

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, Carlosan said:

0000918: Layer0 - by default to make it locked

Displacement is exported using the difference of a vertex's position and its position on Layer 0.

Vertice positions will be taken from Layer 0. This is the preferred option for low-poly export.

New user dont know about it, and there is a eternal asking about layer0 and why not to paint it.

To lock Layer0 by default to all paint modes solve all the troubles

(rename it to Mesh Layer could help too)

The base layer in Photoshop is locked by default, so Layer 0 in 3DCoat should also, IMHO.

• Advanced Member

It is locked in Photoshop, but you can paint on it without problems. This is an inconvenient way of working, not suitable for any serious project, but completely legal.

If Layer 0 in 3DCoat brings so much trouble to new users, why not just make it hidden, inactive, grayed out or something else. Just call it DON'T PAINT ON ME by default instead of Layer 0 :)

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, PolyHertz said:

Layer 0 itself is not ''reserved for 3DC use only", it's just a normal layer, however there are some functions that have a design flaw where they rely on a "layer 0" existing and having certain colors to function properly. The correct solution for this problem is for said functions to be fixed, not to lock down the layer they're relying on (as that'll just confuse new users further).

See I thought I remembered making transparency by erasing on that layer. It's been a while since I painted, especially with transparency.

If there is no layer/paint information for a pixel it wont be drawn (that is to say it'll be transparent). So yes, if layer0 is the only layer on your stack you could just erase parts of it to create transparency (or assign another layer as its clip mask), but if any other layers above it have assigned color values to a pixel then it'll be drawn / not transparent. The main purpose of Layer0 is to act as a flood fill so that the model isn't fully transparent / invisible by default.

Hey everyone, so I am trying out the new smart retopo tools, very nice but I was wandering after the splines have formed a mesh if there was a way to stop the new quads snapping to the surface of the mesh.

Im trying to retopo some scan data that i want a smooth finish on but the new quads deform to all the bumps and notches from messy scan data

• Advanced Member

1952850169_Smoothpointmove.jpg.0518123565a948c4e0c0f47313b0f439.jpg

Test on 3DC 2021 B47 version

Using
- New curve with Bend Volume
- Smooth point moving 

Issue
- Lock normals is not work when using Smooth point moving

Edit 01)

Add test file below▼

Edit 02)
Curve was created with Cut Slice and Simplify Curve Operation was used.

--------------------------------------------

2021 Curve Bend Volume test.3b

Edited by Yousung

4 hours ago, reptilebeats said:

Hey everyone, so I am trying out the new smart retopo tools, very nice but I was wandering after the splines have formed a mesh if there was a way to stop the new quads snapping to the surface of the mesh.

Im trying to retopo some scan data that i want a smooth finish on but the new quads deform to all the bumps and notches from messy scan data

Thank you for your feedback.
We will add an option - snapping on/of.

4 hours ago, reptilebeats said:

Snaping on

Snaping off

SnapOn.png

SnapOff.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 5/11/2021 at 12:16 AM, philnolan3d said:

I've always thought layer 0 should be locked or otherwise not accessible since the user shouldn't use it.

Layer 0 in paint room is to help visualize the model I guess.  Without it the screen has an invisible model/mesh. And erasing parts of layer 0 will create a transparency on parts that were erased.  I do need this layer.  If there's a better solution to "visualize" a mesh with transparency without using layer 0 that would be good.

• Advanced Member

I was kind of hoping for Smart Material sub folders. Is that on the horizon?

Normally I make a folder of materials for each object I make and so you can see that the list of folders becomes huge pretty quickly. Maybe there is already a way to do this that I dont realise?

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Grimmy said:

I was kind of hoping for Smart Material sub folders. Is that on the horizon?

Normally I make a folder of materials for each object I make and so you can see that the list of folders becomes huge pretty quickly. Maybe there is already a way to do this that I dont realise?

You can add as many Smart Materials folders as you need, but there are no Sub-Folders. So, for example, you could make folders for Metal, Paint, Rubber, Plastic, Wood, etc....even Project folders. But, there is no way currently to make a subfolder for Metals, as an example.

• Advanced Member
37 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You can add as many Smart Materials folders as you need, but there are no Sub-Folders. So, for example, you could make folders for Metal, Paint, Rubber, Plastic, Wood, etc....even Project folders. But, there is no way currently to make a subfolder for Metals, as an example.

Yeah I realize this, but it would be great if I could make a folder for a project and then make a subfolder for each of the models within that projects. Otherwise I just have like 200 different folders of mixtures of projects different projects and models. Its not very organized to say the least.

And while Im on the subject, why doesn't double clicking a smart material open the Smart Material editor. The current click>dropdown>click is very clunky. :)

Edited by Grimmy
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

Yeah I realize this, but it would be great if I could make a folder for a project and then make a subfolder for each of the models within that projects. Otherwise I just have like 200 different folders of mixtures of projects different projects and models. Its not very organized to say the least.

And while Im on the subject, why doesn't double clicking a smart material open the Smart Material editor. The current click>dropdown>click is very clunky. :)

Yeah, I wish double-clicking the material would do that. I just sent a message to Andrew, but he may miss it. It might be a good idea if you could send him a quick email with your request (support@3dcoat.com). He is very busy, but maybe multiple people asking at the same time, will prompt him to add it. He recently made a number of helpful changes to Smart Materials (like adding support for Normal Maps in the Depth Channel...they now get converted internally to heightmaps)

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'd like to mention that the Tweak workspace is seeing much more use from me since introduction of modeling workspace.

If I were to quantify. From 1 in 20 projects, to now several times pr project in Beta.

A room I previously never visited much — Now with modeling workspace and making basemeshes for sculpting workflow, occasionally sending retopo/model mesh to Tweak workspace
to modify the topology, and send back to modeling room, very convenient non-destructive way of making changes both large and small. 

Of course there's the new sculpt mesh sync, which is great too, but for many things Tweak room incredibly convenient.

I realise Tweak workspace is "legacy room" according to wiki https://3dcoat.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=general:tweak_workspace it is subject to be perhaps be removed.
Nevertheless I'd like to suggest
• Don't remove the tools or the room, instead maybe consolidate somehow
Next
• Ability to move the scale gizmo handle? (Is this possible already?)

image_2021-05-13_100348.png

image_2021-05-13_100457.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I basically gave up on 2021 because I can't navigate in it with 3d mouse.
I do read the release notes in hope there is something about it, but no.

Still, today I decided to download latest to see if there were any undocumentated changes in that respect.
Still the same for me (impossible to find settings that works. Random changes of directions, it feels like trying to remote control a large tanker, except there is someone else controlling it at the same time with a mind of their own).

I see nobody else complain, so I guess it is a problem on my side.

Would it please be possible for someone who has no issue with 3d mouse navigation in the beta to :
- Create a scene and share it.
- Post a video of them navigating in the scene, with the various camera settings (rotate around last pick point, rotate around camera, for instance)
-
Screen capture their 3d mouse settings in preferences and post the capture.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Re: igis curve import can anyone get this working, seems totally mad to introduce a feature and not have it work at all but I guess we are in 3DC land :/

Using B47 can't add 3D primitves in a sculpt layer (bug)

- Rich 

Edited by -rb-

2 hours ago, -rb- said:

Re: igis curve import can anyone get this working, seems totally mad to introduce a feature and not have it work at all but I guess we are in 3DC land :/

Using B47 can't add 3D primitves in a sculpt layer (bug)

- Rich 

Sorry, we forgot to add Iges & Moulding to the Beta test license as they will be sold as separate Extra Modules. Now we added that functionality to the new Beta test license. Please download the new license here and you will be able to make Iges curves import.

ense

4 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Same here, no improvement in 3d mouse navigation over the new beta versions.
"If it's not broken, don't fix it" comes to mind as 3d mouse navigation across the 4.xx versions works as one would expect it to.

The new version of ZbrushCore has just arrived with an 'out of the box' flawless 3d mouse navigation.
While not allowing for painting / sculpting during 3d mouse use, it addresses the ease of navigation area where 3DCoat had previously outshone it by a mile.

Perhaps the devs might want to pay attention and re-instate the previous functionality, or have a closer look at the functioning of 3d mouse navigation in its current state and see if they can notice the changes that had been previously reported.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, kt2 said:

Same here, no improvement in 3d mouse navigation over the new beta versions.
"If it's not broken, don't fix it" comes to mind as 3d mouse navigation across the 4.xx versions works as one would expect it to.

The new version of ZbrushCore has just arrived with an 'out of the box' flawless 3d mouse navigation.
While not allowing for painting / sculpting during 3d mouse use, it addresses the ease of navigation area where 3DCoat had previously outshone it by a mile.

Perhaps the devs might want to pay attention and re-instate the previous functionality, or have a closer look at the functioning of 3d mouse navigation in its current state and see if they can notice the changes that had been previously reported.

It's working perfectly for me, and has been for a long time, now:

I am using 3DxWare 10.7.0.3248

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Still, today I decided to download latest to see if there were any undocumentated changes in that respect.
Still the same for me (impossible to find settings that works. Random changes of directions, it feels like trying to remote control a large tanker, except there is someone else controlling it at the same time with a mind of their own).

I see nobody else complain, so I guess it is a problem on my side.

Would it please be possible for someone who has no issue with 3d mouse navigation in the beta to :
- Create a scene and share it.
- Post a video of them navigating in the scene, with the various camera settings (rotate around last pick point, rotate around camera, for instance)
-
Screen capture their 3d mouse settings in preferences and post the capture.

Thank you.

• Thanks 2

It's working perfectly for me, and has been for a long time, now

Thanks, the video attached shows the 3d mouse navigation used rather sparingly and with a basic aim of setting a particular 'static' viewing frame at which then an operation is executed.
From that point of view, there's probably no significant difference between 4.xx and 2021 version and I can do those things just fine.

The problems start, however, once one desires to work rapidly in a way similar to traditional clay form-finding - continuously zooming in / out and orbiting around the object while inspecting and changing details. In 4.xx versions, such constant navigation changes work pefectly well, in the new beta there is a sensation of an artificial constraint / twist of navigation movement that does not correspond to the operator's input on the 3d mouse.

One of the posters before described it very well as a feeling of an 'invisible axis' having an additional effect on navigation co-ordinates. The problem seems more palpable when working in orthographic mode.

I'm on a wireless 'mini' version of 3DConnexion with the latest drivers; I've tried every setting possible to get rid of this effect, and it won't go. Once back in 4.9.72, navigation is all good.

I posted a issue with the graphic tablets few days ago. Have you got the same issue on your side or I must start investigating on my side?
3DC does not handle correctly the end of the pressure between 2 strokes.

Thank you for your feedbacks.

P.

• Advanced Member

i know this would need redesigning but the low poly modelling needs simplifying, its way too time consuming just to make a simple shape...

the workflow still doesn't appeal to me , hopefully its sped up and simplified more... otherwise the upgrade from v4 to 2021 just doesn't seem worth it

I don't really see much added i know you've put a lot of work in but a majority of these tools have no benefit to me the speed of sculpting or having a large scene hasn't changed .. v4 and 2021 doesn't feel different ,
if you look at the tools pixologic has added and how simple to use they are .. please i need the speedflow version

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elemeno said:

if you look at the tools pixologic has added

Thank you for the appreciation of our work.
But let's be more specific.
1. What tools have you been waiting for and not seeing?
2. What needs to be simplified in the modeling room?

Here's a quick video of 3D mouse navigation. In the video I could not get the brush to move while rotating but I tried it a little more after recording and I could get it to move but there's a major lag. Instead of brushing smoothly it skips.

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, kt2 said:

Thanks, the video attached shows the 3d mouse navigation used rather sparingly and with a basic aim of setting a particular 'static' viewing frame at which then an operation is executed.
From that point of view, there's probably no significant difference between 4.xx and 2021 version and I can do those things just fine.

The problems start, however, once one desires to work rapidly in a way similar to traditional clay form-finding - continuously zooming in / out and orbiting around the object while inspecting and changing details. In 4.xx versions, such constant navigation changes work pefectly well, in the new beta there is a sensation of an artificial constraint / twist of navigation movement that does not correspond to the operator's input on the 3d mouse.

One of the posters before described it very well as a feeling of an 'invisible axis' having an additional effect on navigation co-ordinates. The problem seems more palpable when working in orthographic mode.

I'm on a wireless 'mini' version of 3DConnexion with the latest drivers; I've tried every setting possible to get rid of this effect, and it won't go. Once back in 4.9.72, navigation is all good.

It showed navigation from time to time, in orthographic mode. The 2nd post had a demonstration of it working perfectly, today, even with the newest driver/software. My point is, people always assume 3DCoat is to blame if an input device doesn't work properly in the software...when it is most often some kind of a driver or Windows Update (breaking drivers of input devices) issue. 3dconnexion devices have been rock solid in 3DCoat (for me) for a long, long time.