3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

On 6/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Yousung said:

First of all, I would like to thank the developers who have been working hard to develop and fix the program.
- New curve tool features....
- Fantastic combination of Pose Tool and Transform without gizmo....
I've been enjoying learning since I started 3DCoat at the end of last year :)

Of course, I do feel some discomfort while using it.
One of them is the numerical adjustment of parameters.

Can you add a function to fine-tune the parameters of the tools?

When I use the tool, I am faced with a situation that changes too rapidly when controlling the numbers.

Although it can be adjusted with Spacebar or direct numerical input
It feels inconvenient to enter the numerical value every time until the desired result is obtained.

Attached here is an image of parameter adjustment in 3dsmax for example.

370243911_Honeycam2021-06-0116-46-20.gif.bd192e327e380a24ed623b2af49a033b.gif
( watch the mouse movement ! )

You can adjust the intensity of numerical change by using Ctrl and Alt.

If such a function is added, I think it will be much easier and faster to find the desired result than now.

Thank you.

What keys are responsible for that and how much? How affects ALT (times slower), CTRL, SHIFT? It is super easy to do, but need to know how it works usually.

4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

What keys are responsible for that and how much? How affects ALT (times slower), CTRL, SHIFT? It is super easy to do, but need to know how it works usually.

I'm pretty sure the shift key is the most commonly used for this. That is what Blender uses anyway, and also Krita.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

From my experience it's usually a key like SHIFT. - I think 10x slower would be a good starting point.  (perhaps something that can be changed in options)

A bonus would be to hold down CTRL for snapping.  CTRL only to snap to regular measurements and CTRL+SHIFT to snap to smaller increments

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

It is mainly used in combination with a Slide Parameter and 'Ctrl' or 'Shift' or 'Alt'.
This setting is slightly different for each tool.

Usually, it changes the numerical value of about 'x10' by combining it with a specific key in each parameter adjustment value set by default.

3dsmax as an example...
- x10 (hold Ctrl)
- x1 (Default)
- x0.1 (hold Alt)

• Advanced Member

Oh, i can't see Edit button..
////
Yes, that's right.
As Wizardkiss and gbball said
In the case of Blender, use Shift to adjust the value to 'X0.1'.

In fact, even in 3dsMax, I often used the 'X0.1' value for fine-tuning rather than adjusting it with the 'X10' value.

There is some problem with the fact that, in older versions of the program, the Cyrillic alphabet was read normally. However, in the new version, the names of the layers in the Cyrillic alphabet, from the old versions, are distorted.

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Voxel Mode > VoxClay 

Select any Brush alpha: all paint squares.

image_2021-06-04_175026.png

It's been a while since I reported this to Andrew. The VoxClay brush is not respecting the chosen brush tip (alpha).
- Clay Engine is the new brush system developed for Voxels mode, with that the VoxClay brush will be temporarily left and in the future it might be removed.
I particularly like VoxClay a lot, even though it served as the basis (prototype) for the brushes that are being developed for Clay Engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

It's been a while since I reported this to Andrew. The VoxClay brush is not respecting the chosen brush tip (alpha).
- Clay Engine is the new brush system developed for Voxels mode, with that the VoxClay brush will be temporarily left and in the future it might be removed.
I particularly like VoxClay a lot, even though it served as the basis (prototype) for the brushes that are being developed for Clay Engine.

I thought this was a problem too when it first released....I haven't got 3dcoat in front of me right now, but I think if you select voxclay there is a drop down menu on the left hand side of the viewport "A new feature"......open up that menu, go down like half way, and select to have the brush respect the chosen alpha....not just the standard one.....or something like that....Good luck.

Edit: just tested. The menu is called tool options, top left viewport. click edit brush parameters, go down to the clay brush section, and put a tick in use current alpha. Works fine.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, omniripple said:

I thought this was a problem too when it first released....I haven't got 3dcoat in front of me right now, but I think if you select voxclay there is a drop down menu on the left hand side of the viewport "A new feature"......open up that menu, go down like half way, and select to have the brush respect the chosen alpha....not just the standard one.....or something like that....Good luck.

Edit: just tested. The menu is called tool options, top left viewport. click edit brush parameters, go down to the clay brush section, and put a tick in use current alpha. Works fine.

I think there was a little confusion....

Because if you select the Vox Clay brush, you will see that this brush has no options.

But if you select any Clay Engine brush, then you will have the tool options,
and inside the Modifiers section: activate the option "Use Current alpha".
So that any brush tip alpha chosen will be used in this brush.

image.thumb.png.fc6d0f59e0d808ec59733f343059b6bb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

When creating a matcap, using an exr file format as texture crashes 3DCoat instantly.

It would be nice to be able to use exr images as textures. Having to convert exr to png is not optimal.

If it's not possible at all to use exr it should probably warn the user, and most definitely shouldn't crash the whole program.

3DCoat in Linux 2021.B51 (it also happens using 4.9.72)

I'm liking the new beta quite a lot so far. Great job!

• Contributor

I can't seem to change the wireframe colour in the theme.

Whichever colour I choose, it displays the wireframe in gray in the sculpting room.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to show the wireframe as an overlay on top of the shaded mesh.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 3

Linux version. When importing new objects in sculpt mode and using auto scale, the first object is scaled as you would expect. New objects that are imported after that don't auto scale to the same proportions as the original object.

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin instead of subdividing meshes when loading model for PPP, how about in the loading screen we have the option to switch to high tessellation with smooth mesh & UVs? If subdivision could be emulated to smooth the UV somehow then likely we can higher performance during painting. I know in the past you've mention to use tessellation when painting displacement with smart materials but there should be a tessellation level that is set on the loading screen with smooth mesh & UV to match the tessellation levels. This way during painting  we might get higher performance and he brush radius always locks in project specific max tessellation level when hovering over an area to paint always ensuring to get pixel quality.

So if the tessellation mode was *distanced based* and only on normals only facing the camera, and in camera view then it should make painting super fast at high resolutions?

In the demo I can't set the project to use subdivision or even just import a model for 8k -3dcoat enters not responding  but my 4.9 version works without problems.

Edited by Ascensi

• Reputable Contributor

I just realized from the talk here that 3d-Coat is perfectly capable of subdividing a model while keeping the uv's at import in the paint room.

So, why is it not capable of doing the same thing in the sculpt room ? (If you subdivide model in the import tool options, the textures are not baked to vertices (import w/o voxelization ticked))

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I just realized from the talk here that 3d-Coat is perfectly capable of subdividing a model while keeping the uv's at import in the paint room.

So, why is it not capable of doing the same thing in the sculpt room ? (If you subdivide model in the import tool options, the textures are not baked to vertices (import w/o voxelization ticked))

Because 3DCoat converts a UV mapped mesh to a VOXEL object or triangulated mesh when imported into the Sculpt Room. Normally, 3DCoat will bake the color onto a Surface mesh upon import, but that feature seems to be broken in 2021 from my last test. In Zbrush, using Dynamesh or Sculptris Pro (dynamic tessellation) will break UV's, but one would try to reproject the work done in Dnymesh/Sculptris Pro onto the original low poly mesh. The equivalent of that in 3DCoat, is baking the sculpt mesh to the Retopo mesh.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

It works like in 4.9

I just did another test in build .52 and it seems to work on another model I used. So, in short, it may not store the UV's when the mesh gets converted, but it does try to bake the color, so it can be baked to a Retopo mesh after all the sculpting changes are done.

• Reputable Contributor
12 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I just did another test in build .52 and it seems to work on another model I used. So, in short, it may not store the UV's when the mesh gets converted, but it does try to bake the color, so it can be baked to a Retopo mesh after all the sculpting changes are done.

Of course there are no uv's on the sculpt mesh.
Let me try to clarify  my question.... Please read carefully :

-Go to sculpt room
-File menu > "import mesh for voxelization"
-select mesh on disk with properly assigned texture
-tick : "import w/o voxelization
-apply
>mesh is imported with colour data baked from texture

now, let's start over in a fresh scene, and subdivide before apply :

-Go to sculpt room
-File menu > "import mesh for voxelization"
-select mesh on disk with properly assigned texture
-tick : "import w/o voxelization
-click "subdivide" button
-apply
>mesh is imported without vertex colour (no baking from textures).

In the past I was told that the reason for this is that 3d-Coat is unable to retain uv-map when subdividing, therefore the colour data can no longer be baked to vertex colour after subdivision in the import menu.

However, when you import the same mesh in the paint space instead of the sculpt space, you are given the option to subdivide the model while retaining the uv map (you can import the original texture from the textures menu in the paint room and it will work fine on the subdivided model)

Hence my question : 3d-Coat being perfectly capable of subdividing a uv-mapped mesh properly, why does it not do so in the sculpt space for the purpose of transfering more data from textures to vertex colour ?