3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member

774357834_Honeycam2021-06-0813-37-17.thumb.gif.9492772f97af98a9907bb6a68fc3d0ab.gif

When using Stencils in Paint Room
The Erase tool doesn't seem to have Cube Mapping applied.
(Erase by pressing Ctrl in Brush also shows the same problem.)

I set it to 'Cube Mapping', but it works with 'From Camera'.

The V4 version also shows the same problem.
It seems to be a fairly old problem, so I'm confused whether this is a bug or the way the Erase tool works.

• Contributor
On 5/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, L'Ancien Regime said:

5V4ZHYh.jpg

Primitives panel in Sculpt Room. I can create that hotkey ALT + A and it works but if I move to the Paint room or any other setting and come back to the Sculpt Room  the assigned hot key is gone.

Hi. Yes! I already posted this earlier. Now there are a new rooms like modelling, and i propose to split up the hotkeys per room. My left hand has only five fingers and I can't to do a spagat aiming for operators like shift+ctrl+alt+numpad for the whole application. It needs to be simple and fluid. I think you may have overidden your hokey with another room?

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Yousung said:

790392359_Newcurvewithcoat.thumb.jpg.869dc4956a07e699a3ef6a68e26d8a71.jpg

it won't be exactly the same
This can be done in Sculpt Room using the Fill with mesh layer (=Coat) of the new curve toolset.

Yeah, I think this is more powerful because it is non-destructive and remains editable.

• Reputable Contributor

I have a possible feature request.

What if, with pure voxel tools, there was a dropdown menu at top of screen for SHIFT+smooth similar to surface mode tools.
Except the options would be as follows :
-Voxel smooth
-Surface mode smooth

It would be great to see the inversion mode (with its hotkey) return to all the common sculpting brushes once the new brushing engine is complete.

There are plenty of tricks that one can pull off while using the inversion mode, even with brushes that perhaps were not intended to be used in this way (Fill!).
It's just more liberating from the sculptural point of view.

Currently, having to hold the Ctrl key to apply the inversion effect takes away the possibility of brushing while navigating with the 3d mouse.

I can fix this by placing some small heavy item on top of the Ctrl key but pressing I instead would be much more elegant! .: ,

Edited by kt2
  • Thanks 1

12.06.21 B54

- Entering the text in the text tool (and similar) is now correct for all languages, languages may be mixed if need.

- Gizmo options for the Cloth simulation tool.

- Fixed problem from the previous build when PPP import fails.

The "Clusters tool" in UV/Retopo toolset got several fixes/improvements:

- Clusters tool work in the Retopo room as well, now you can select only faces in that mode to avoid incorrect click on the edge.

- sphere now visible (was hidden sometimes under the surface)

- Checkbox "Auto seams for clusters" to create seams over the ring-like clusters.

- visible seams preview over the border of the clusters.

Scripting updated. Changes:

- RMB+MMB gives complete info about the item, including several methods of usage.

- You may set in preferences what info will be provided via RMB+MMB.

- All commands within VoxTree RMB working correctly via script.

- All tools accessible to activate in any room, the corresponding room will be activated.

- RMB+MMB over voxtree items gives useful info for scripting (Vox interface) + cmd/ui interface.

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

I was wondering if something like this would be feasible ?

To explain, let's use an example :

-make wings with symmetry
-set a sculpt layer to not be affected by symmetry
-Pose (bend) the wings on this layer (each wing has a different shape now, they are no longer symmetrical)
-continue working on the details on another regular layer, with symmetry, thus affecting both wings despite their differences.

maybe this is already possible with instances, not sure ?
Does this possibility exist in other software ?

Hey all long time..

So I have finally decided to check out the new 2021 Open Beta.

Opinion so far: 

The UI/UX: It feels unpolished, it glitches, not Properly Organized either.  ( it was nice to just switch a TAB and vice versa ) I found something that would have been rather cool to see as an actual feature, yet somehow I believe this is maybe something that one could make as a feature.( See Vid )

A few brushes act practically the same ( Clay Engine Cool, but feels like just a clone of: Grow,Vox Clay, Carve? (Please for ethical reasons make it Carve from the get go) The Smudge Tool is still bugged after 3 Years ( Why even bother right?), brush Size is a Pain to use for Large Projects/Objects // The Sculpt Room brushes feel way better // The Cloth Tool is freaking Sweet ( Still needs improvements )

As for the other implementations ( Box Modeling is still unpleasant to work with ( Check out,IMO >> Hexagon <<< this little tool is better then, Blender,Modo ,ZB, Maya, etc.  This ( Box modeling ) should be straightforward yet it lacks the UX one needs for people like myself who enjoy working fast. It feels rather pushed and not well planned out. The Transformation tool is still a pain to work with.

New Render room is cool, but why not let it use the 3Dconnection Correctly( It's just one extra step to use the mouse). Add Visual  Lights/Cameras ( We need to see what and where things are, not just guess around and type numbers in, this is something I expect from a Program that was made in DOS)

I could go on, but that's enough critique for now. 

Keep up the good work and someday you will get there.

I'm out Greetings & Cya!

Is It a Bug? Is it a Feature? No! it's 3DCoat

Edited by Speike-Styles
Video Link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have not reported many bugs so far because with few tutorials on most new features it is hard to know when something is a bug and when it isn't. I've made notes on a few things I'm pretty sure are bugs however and will be posting them this afternoon. These will be all from version B54.

The first one is that when using the feature of the gizmoless transforms that constrains movement on one axis to allow movement only on the other two, and if you also are using the Z-up coordinate system option in the Preferences, it moves on the wrong axes in some cases. I had to make a little chart to work out what is happening which is shown below.

This is the feature I'm talking about:

feature.png.5a34cfbb66a3636f1ce4650fae5a5ea8.png

This visual indicator with the arrow and small colored grid is what I mean by "shows widget". In one case it moves on the correct axes but displays the wrong widget:

widget.png.31f8070b26e58e30656f829b12d7f6a5.png

Here is the chart (I hope I didn't make any mistakes). This is only for with the Z-up option enabled, and is for moving only (scaling on two axes does not seem to be supported):chart.png.4daac1727c9278cca607c092d0066111.png

• Like 1

Maybe not a bug exactly but ideally it seems like these shortcuts should change to be the same as whatever hotkeys have been defined for gizmoless move, scale and rotate. I would guess for example many people will be defining G for move, S for scale and R for rotate since that is how it works in Blender.

keys.png.7b1526a62b7678d04a78ac82a4793ce2.png

Two more then done for now.

When using the Joints tool with the mouse wheel for zooming option enabled the mouse wheel is not working. Maybe this is a technical limitation of some sort rather than a bug, I don't know. This is the option I'm referring to:

wheel.png.783b1fd0a60b42a57368eab42f284a7c.png

In the paint room if I try to make a layer it pops up this limitations box saying you cannot have more than seven layers because it is in demo mode. In earlier versions of the beta there was one layer you could use but now there is only the zero layer. I don't know if this is an intentional limitation of the beta or it is just not working for me for some reason. I'm using it in free trial mode as it instructs you do do in the first post in the thread

.layers.png.fdc90562d218dc6eeed5ff2ca29f2cff.png

I cannot understand the licensing of this program. After the latest version 4.9x, in fact, the license does not work, since there are all sorts of restrictions on the beta version, then on something else. Having paid for the program once, it seems that now I cannot fully use the next versions, because there are time limits.

• Reputable Contributor
20 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

12.06.21 B54

- Entering the text in the text tool (and similar) is now correct for all languages, languages may be mixed if need.

- Clusters tool work in the Retopo room as well, now you can select only faces in that mode to avoid incorrect click on the edge.

- Checkbox "Auto seams for clusters" to create seams over the ring-like clusters.

- RMB+MMB gives complete info about the item, including several methods of usage.

- All tools accessible to activate in any room, the corresponding room will be activated.

- RMB+MMB over voxtree items gives useful info for scripting (Vox interface) + cmd/ui interface.

Andrew, could you please put a copy of the new builds on the Google Drive, so we have an alternative when the main server is bogged down and downloads are failing because they are so slow?

Thank you for fixing the scripts!

I have a small issue though: every time I run any boolean command I see this message in the bottom of the screen:

3D-COAT_2021.B54(GL64)-06-14-10-25-49.png.da452c9d5c56d0f516f78056442a07ae.png

The code is super simple:

void main(){
  Vox vox;
  vox.subtractFrom('target');
  // the same message if I use cmd("$SubtractFrom_target");
};

The commands run fine though. The log is empty.

Also when I copy the commands to clipboard it gives two options cmd() and ui() but ui() doesn't seem to work? I tried to use it to clone an object (ui("$CloneVoxTree");) to see the difference and got this error message:

3D-COAT_2021.B54(GL64)-06-14-10-27-16.png.351ebb0a83d1a5fc2d0a1225dd15d5e6.png

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

12.06.21 B54

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the latest build? It has failed to download (network error message) because the speed is way too slow. It's been like this for me for the past 2 days

On 6/4/2021 at 6:49 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.06.21 B52

- Added the boolean operations for retopo primitives in Retopo and Modeling room. You can create primitives using the boolean operations add, subtract, intersect, split.

Win10: is working fine

Win7: it is not working

• Advanced Member

im having trouble with opengl

is there not a directx version??

constantly gettting out of memory error..

its driving me crazy now only 3DC does it...

ive tried increasing pagefile , new drivers, old drivers .... i have plenty of ram 

Edited by Elemeno

When attempting to bulk-duplicate a sub-tree of curves, the duplicates of dependent curves are created within the original parent sub-tree.

Under the duplicate parent sub-tree, only empty name entries are created for dependent curves.
One has to clean up and re-assign dependent curves by hand.

• Sad 1