3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Smart Material Preview not representing what actually gets painted

Slush47

Hi all,

I have a material that I have made using the smart material editor, fine tuning it based on the smart material preview. However, when I use the flood fill tool or the paint brush, what ends up appearing does not reflect the Smart Material Preview. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have attached screenshots of the Preview, the model after it is flood filled, and the smart material.

Thanks.

Flood_Fill.jpg

Material_Preview.jpg

Settings.jpg

Hello 

The preview window renders at a Higher quality. You would need a 8k map in the smart material to closely match it. 

You will be limited by the resolution of the smart material images that are used to make the smart material and your final texture resolution for your image maps.

Also is how well you are using the UV space, that is how your uv-islands are filling up the uv space.

I make all-my smart materials at 4K.

Thanks for the response,

I tried your suggestion of using higher resolutions textures, but that didn't fix it. The problem doesn't seem to be the detail of the snow texture that is being painted on, it is the placement off it. This image may be a better example of it. The left side is the preview, the right side is what ends up being painted on using the smart material, which is using the "More on top" condition mask.

image.thumb.png.1425ed1a75e9063387bd8dce1b407858.png

Try this please

The Depth channel icon in Smart Materials may look like it's for a Normal Map, but it's not. It's strictly for greyscale Displacement/Height maps.

- on Smart Material Editor change Condition to always

condition always.jpg

- On Paint room panels change Always to MoreOnTop 

MoreOnTop.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Smart Material Preview not representing what actually gets painted