3DCoat Forums

Replace geometry does not replace UV layout?

Callak

• Advanced Member

I found a flaw in my UV layout that I overlooked, but due to the mirrored nature of my UV layout I cannot fix the flaw and unwrap the UV in 3D coat, so I thought I would fix the problem in Blender and then export it to 3D Coat using "replace geometry".   I was hoping this would allow me to keep my current paintwork, and have the current paint job remapped to the repaired UV layout.  However, I noticed 3D coat is keeping the old flawed UVs instead of replacing them, even though I have "Keep UVs" checked.   Is there any way I can import the new UV layout without affecting too much of the current paint work?

• Advanced Member

Hmm well, after testing it, this does fix the UV layout, but it also wipes out my current paint job.  Is it supposed to?

• Advanced Member

I do wonder if this issue has anything to do with the fact that my left and right UVs are mirrored, and thus appear to be overlapped to 3D Coat.   This was done for the sake of the end platform, Second Life in order to conserve texture bandwidth.  However, it did export and work fine in 3D Coat for editing.  I didn't know for sure if that was honestly a good idea or not when I decided to try it, and I may have to just re-unwrap the whole thing without mirroring in the end, but it's a learning process for me.

Edited by Callak

Have every mesh assigned individual Materials and material names are the same ?

Re-unwrap the whole thing without mirroring in the end could be an option, but as you said is a trial and error process searching for your better workflow.