3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Reverse Threading

Do you mean you have a bolt and want to make threads to match? In that case you could just subtract one from the other. Personally haven't tried making threads in 3DC. I would use a CAD program for that. However maybe there is an easy way that I'm not aware of.

Hello thanks for the response. So instead of the more common Right Hand threads, I simply need to specify Left Hand Reverse Threads on either a Bolt or in this case a Nut. Maybe if could somehow invert the Reset Posi function at bottom left within the thread properties? Any insight as to how to invert the direction of threading? Thanks!

3 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

How about just flip the nut  on one of the axis. 'x' I think ( this stuff make my head hurt..so Ive not really thought it through, just an immediate thought)

Nah I think the threads still face the same direction when you flip it. Haha For example if you have a nut and bolt it doesn't matter what direction the nut is facing when you put it on the bolt.

This is my first stumble in 3DCoat and I've done some impressively innovative things with it... I am not certain how threading is embedded to a primitive object, voxels or parametric? This maybe a coding technicality / resolution; in order to reverse the tighten down direction, a coded applet parameter would be required, if not already available; I do not see it? So to simply invert as said by stusutcliffe; it would seem to work, but further was said by philnolan3d; true, a nut is a nut no matter the flipside. So one has to invert the direction of the cut threads in order to get reverse action... This would be a great feature addition; then fasteners will not loosen under certain rotational applications. I don't want to leave this great software environment over a minor engineering technicality; Fusion360 is not as productive / intuitive for my taste. Thanks All... let me know if I have missed a crucial feature or widget here? Thanks...

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Reverse Threading