3DCoat Forums

Texture WIP

Guedin

Hi there !

I'm a student in a Game Art School and my formation will end soon ... and when i said soon, it's like in 2 weeks :o

So now, I'm working full time on my portfolio. Here's my main project, a character made for "next-gen" (well, at now we should say current gen) game

Rendu03.jpg

All the modelling part was done in external software ( Zbrush and 3DSMax ). Even if 3DCoat seems to be really intuitive, I'm short on time and i didn't want to spare time in learning a new program.

However, the texture tool in 3DCoat seems really efficient, so I decided to make at least the texture in 3DCoat.

I create this topic because I was impressed by the demonstration of the 3DCoat tools and wanted to master it

Critics and comment, and suggestion of workflow are welcome

Quick update on the cap

I'm not fully happy right now with it but i'll rework it later

I did all the stitch and seams with the curve tool and a custom alpha of stitch i made ... Curve tool is fantastic !!! Why other software did'nt think it before ? Now I can't live without this tool :D

the little bump was done with the mask feature.

Casquette01.jpg

In Max :

Casquette02.jpg

Seriously ! The more I use this program, the more I love it.

Masks and material tool are really powerfull, as well as photoshop link

I have a question : I noticed when i open the UV-Set window, I can display the flat texture in shaded mode, which give a really cool effect indeed ! Is there a way to bake it ? Because at the moment i'm making a print screen and paste it in my texture in photoshop, and it's not really accurate

post-1472-1241492111_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I have a question : I noticed when i open the UV-Set window, I can display the flat texture in shaded mode, which give a really cool effect indeed ! Is there a way to bake it ?

Maybe not exactly what you want, but you may want to try these 3 options:

post-445-1241493157_thumb.jpg

Yeah I already use this feature and it's some great tools !

But what I want is bake the lightning and shade information into my texture like the preview when you active the shaded mode in the UV set window

Edit : Here's some shots

Only the diffuse :

Color.jpg

And with the shade :

Shaded.jpg

Thks for the support !

-Shadow- : I already try this tool, but there's only options to bake normal map, displacement map or specular map. What I'm looking for is baking a complete map

lc8b105 : Yeah, it's a good idea ... i'll post a suggestion later

• Advanced Member
Thks for the support !

-Shadow- : I already try this tool, but there's only options to bake normal map, displacement map or specular map. What I'm looking for is baking a complete map

lc8b105 : Yeah, it's a good idea ... i'll post a suggestion later

Not sure 3dc has such a feature.. If you have access to maya, softimage, or cinema4d. All these have baking tools that should give you the options you want.

In Softimage (xsi) it's located in properties under rendermap I think. Just remember that in this menu checking on means to disable (contrary to common thought, where checking on means to enable). Final gathering thought is not supported with rendermap.

Cinema4d has bake Object which is my favorite baking tool at the moment because it's fast, you see the results as it goes, and you can do multiple sets of textures for multiple objects at a single time. It also has the older method bake texture.

Maya also has good baking ability and final gathering does work with baking. It's a bit cumbersome though and it can crash very easily and when it crashes there is no easy way to tell.

Not sure about 3dmax but it wouldn't surprise me if it did have baking tools, everthing else does...

Hi NinjaTaco, thx to take your time and post here

Yeah 3DSMax has bake tool too, and do the pretty same things that the software you mentioned. But All this software bake the lightning information depending on the light position. I mean, if you put a light front of your object and bake the light in your texture, the chest will be enlighted but the back will be completely in the dark.

If you check the image i posted right above, you can see that the chest and the back of my character receive the same amount of light, and thats what I want.

I could put lights all around my models in max and bake the information tool ... but this is the ambient occlusion and I'll lose the direction of the light.

Again in the image i posted you can see that fold cast shadow right under itself, showing that light have a up to down direction.

I don't know if was clear enough ... but if it's not the case, feel free to ask me

Hi NinjaTaco, thx to take your time and post here

Yeah 3DSMax has bake tool too, and do the pretty same things that the software you mentioned. But All this software bake the lightning information depending on the light position. I mean, if you put a light front of your object and bake the light in your texture, the chest will be enlighted but the back will be completely in the dark.

If you check the image i posted right above, you can see that the chest and the back of my character receive the same amount of light, and thats what I want.

I could put lights all around my models in max and bake the information tool ... but this is the ambient occlusion and I'll lose the direction of the light.

Again in the image i posted you can see that fold cast shadow right under itself, showing that light have a up to down direction.

I don't know if was clear enough ... but if it's not the case, feel free to ask me

I would like to do the functions that you want, too.

Images on texture editor in shaded mode is very good without difficult setting, but can not save as it is except captures.

Though changing lights settings make the back lighter, but the colors and details become quite-different.

Further I would like to save the images with colors, shades and specular as individual layer.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who would love to see this feature in a next update. I'll definitely post in the feature suggestion post

Another update, screen grab from 3DSMax viewport, no render, only realtime :

Screen3DSMax01.jpg

Yep, I like to think of Gameartisans as my home away from home. Really not active on polycount, though I do visit quite frequently.

I'm a little like you with 3D-Coat. I wasn't sure because I didn't feel like learning a new program. I already felt comfortable with Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop. But I took the plundge anyway. I haven't looked back. Its like Photoshop on steroids IMO. I found easy to use with the new interface. It almost a one stop shop for all my modeling needs. I watched the demo's for mudbox 2009 and translated it to see if it can be done with 3DCoat. Most of it can and more for a fraction of the price. Im waiting with anticipation for the official release.

Sorry to derail your post but I am intrested your final product. You got something good going on here. No real critique yet.

Are you in the Dom War?

I was ... I did a concept, but my school will be ended soon and I had to make a strong portfolio. And I realized that warriors with big gun and big armor was not what I'm the most confident with.

I prefer modeling casual character, with streat wear, or stuff like this, so I change the direction of the character i started for the Dominance War. I think it's better to make a piece that really show who I am and what is my style, instead of trying to stick with a background in order to participate to the Dominance War.

If I didn't have to work on my portfolio i would do the dominance war to train myself doing other stuff that I used to

I start to work on the head, did I ever mention that 3DCoat is fantastic ? It help me work really fast

I did some quick render too ... This is cool in the feeling but I'm loosing all the detail of the normal map

Rendu04.jpg

Thks mates !

Ah I forgot to mention but the render of the board was done with the renderer of 3DCoat ... And i was really impressed to see how simple but how good was the result ... The more I use 3DCoat the more I'm impressed !

If Andrew come here I want say to him that he has all my respect, 3DCoat is fantastic and I can't stop to talk about it atl my school, trying to push my buddies to make a try