3DCoat Forums

Where is the 2021 documentation?

I'm not finding any docs, tutorials, or even videos on how to use 2021. Since this version is so different from previous releases, this should have been done, or at least some kind of wiki page or something, before you started beta. You have some short teaser demos on youtube on what it can do, but nothing I can find on specifically howYou're not really doing yourself any favors releasing software that your customers can't figure out, especially if you're wanting feedback. We can't tell you what's wrong if we don't know what to do. If it exists, then I apologize, but it needs to be made much more obvious. If not, then why are you releasing something that's just going to cause frustration for a large portion of your users?

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Gevarre said:

I'm not finding any docs, tutorials, or even videos on how to use 2021. Since this version is so different from previous releases, this should have been done, or at least some kind of wiki page or something, before you started beta. You have some short teaser demos on youtube on what it can do, but nothing I can find on specifically howYou're not really doing yourself any favors releasing software that your customers can't figure out, especially if you're wanting feedback. We can't tell you what's wrong if we don't know what to do. If it exists, then I apologize, but it needs to be made much more obvious. If not, then why are you releasing something that's just going to cause frustration for a large portion of your users?

There are videos on the Youtube Channel showing many of the new features. Remember, it is a BETA at this point and that means many features are still being worked on. Have you ever participated in a Beta where they roll out a complete documentation and tutorial series before release? Probably not, right?

Definitely. Problem is, those videos show what the features are, not really how to use them. And yes, I've been in many betas, both as a usage and production ends. I've also produced and/or updated the documentation for years on said projects for both internal and external use. There are systems specifically for producing this kind of thing as a product develops, but they say it's on the way, and that's good enough for me. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I appreciate the effort and the complexity, but I'm also very aware, from a business standpoint, the user-perception side of things and was just pointing this out.

And yes, actually a lot of betas have at least basic documentation ready before the public ever sees it so that the potential customers don't get frustrated and leave. It's also necessary so that actual bugs can be reported with any validity. This can't be done if there isn't an understanding of how the product is suppose to perform, even if it isn't complete.

Edited by Gevarre
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, Gevarre said:

Definitely. Problem is, those videos show what the features are, not really how to use them. And yes, I've been in many betas, both as a usage and production ends. I've also produced and/or updated the documentation for years on said projects for both internal and external use. There are systems specifically for producing this kind of thing as a product develops, but they say it's on the way, and that's good enough for me. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I appreciate the effort and the complexity, but I'm also very aware, from a business standpoint, the user-perception side of things and was just pointing this out.

And yes, actually a lot of betas have at least basic documentation ready before the public ever sees it so that the potential customers don't get frustrated and leave. It's also necessary so that actual bugs can be reported with any validity. This can't be done if there isn't an understanding of how the product is suppose to perform, even if it isn't complete.