3DCoat Forums

Does converting to voxels reduce fidelity and quality of surface mesh?

Andre

Hi Community,

I'm trying to find out if everytime I import a 3D scan mesh into 3DC and then voxelize the mesh... I've just degraded the detail and resolution of the mesh scan. I really love working with the voxel tools and brushes, but I thought I should find out for certain... if I'm applying a light destruction to the mesh, by voxelizing...

thanks

Hi 

Use voxels to create just that volume, or mass, something that you can sculpt on. It does however provide a lot of tools for detailing a volume as well.

After creating the basic mass, switch to surface mode because it is fast.

The advantage of using the LiveClay brushes in surface mode is that you have dynamic tessellation of the mesh. In voxel mode you have to increase the entire model resolution to get the finer details.

In surface mode when using the LiveClay brushes you can choose which areas have the greater tessellation detail. Each liveclay brush has a detail slider where you can adjust how much tessellation you want. This also works in conjunction with your brush size.

A combination of voxel work and then surface mode using LiveClay brushes is a workflow worth checking out.