3DCoat Forums

[Bug] optimize performance/frequent pausing

XCOTT

I couldn't find any posts addressing this. I'm sure they must be here somewhere. Maybe someone could point me at the best practices for performance. I used to just free up the hard drive but that's not helping much anymore. V 4.9.72

I'm not working on anything particularly complicated. An it's just voxel modeling. What I really don't understand is why it's started doing it a lot, even when I'm just trying to position the primitive tools.  It seems like I'm waiting for it to catch up every few minutes. The pauses often take several minutes.

Edited by XCOTT
add detail

It's gotta be something else. It still happens a lot. I halved the resolution. I usually only have 1 to 3 objects visible at a time. I tried switching to wireframe view. They're under 3" in size. It locked up while I was using the cut-off lasso(that seems unreasonable to me).  It locks up every time I return to it from another program. The only other programs open are browsers and a 3d printing slicer.. It was never like this before and I'm working on the same model as when it was better.

I timed how long it takes to function after returning from another app: 4 minutes. I don't if it's always that long. I don't get it I've been using the same version , working on the same model. it worked fine before.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] optimize performance/frequent pausing

I appreciate your help. But is there a doc or video somewhere that lays out best practices for performance? Current problem aside, I'd like to understand the program better. I think what I'm working on now is not that demanding but I could be wrong. I have plans to make more involved models and want to make it as painless as possible. I did look at some of the links you provided and will go further but I think cutting to the chase in this case would go a long way .

Thanks again!

Edited by XCOTT
grammar

I did update the video drivers but I didn't notice an improvement. I'm not using the beta yet.

Two things stood out to me me:

1. The resolution had crept up from128x to closer to 500x. I'm tuning a model that doesn't really change in size.

2. I accumulate revisions that are mostly hidden but they all had crept up in resolution.

Does the program occupy memory based on what's visible or what exists within the project? 

Stripping don't the project and dialing down the resolutions has made a big difference. Is it possible that bloat occurs over time?

• Advanced Member

Try 2021 version to see if it's problem of specific version. To me 4.9 works slowly than 2021 even with vsync option on both version on.
Maybe your problem in antivirus or other not relative to 3dcoat. Maybe your cpu\gpu overheating? Please write your config.