3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Retopo - Retopology state doesn't align with new mesh

DustyShinigami

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

Hi

I've encountered this problem a few times, and I'm hoping there's a simple checkbox or something that will prevent it that I'm missing. Basically, if I modify my sculpt/base mesh for whatever reason, and then reload the retopology I've done, neither will match. Sometimes it's not a problem, but sometimes it is. I don't believe I've adjusted any scaling in ZBrush either; everything is the same. I've adjusted some of the anatomy on my character, and I've tried exporting the modified mesh out and loading it into 3ds Max, and it matches up perfectly still with my low poly. However, in Coat, it just doesn't.

3dsmax_4PRo2VNOZj.thumb.png.d59feeafb2790a28922b55157554ccd0.png

3DCoatDX64_VMBDXHmLMv.thumb.png.7b4fca1bae43e30b63ac7fb53af261b5.png

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread... :blink:

I've been having the same problem as before with a new reference mesh. I've tried exporting my ZBrush sculpt into the Sculpt room, though nothing appears there. Under Edit Scene Scale though, it says...

3DCoatDX64_IQFBkd2kYT.png.6d999f21cec0e0bbda4b17054f4ad6b8.png

I've managed to bring the high and low polys into the Sculpt room via Geometry > Retop mesh - Sculpt mesh and Geometry > Paint mesh - Sculpt mesh, but the Edit Scene Scale says exactly the same, no matter which one I toggle on/off. :-\

3DCoatDX64_jMHJFI1rJt.thumb.png.8ef66adef4d40ae1a59e854092de1a31.png

• Advanced Member

I'm not getting any kind of import menu with a scale option. When I import a sculpt, I'll either do it via Perform Retopology and Import Reference Mesh, or File > Import > Reference Mesh. No options or menus come up. Likewise for the retopology mesh/existing low poly. I've tried going to File > Import > Import Retopo Mesh. No menus. It just gives me the transform/rotate/scale widget and asks me to confirm snapping it to the reference.

• Advanced Member

I'm still confuzzled with this. Am I supposed to bring the low poly into the Retopo room then...? For some reason, after bringing the high poly into the Sculpt room and hitting Apply, it also adds some weird shaped mesh inside it too. And then the low poly tries snapping to that.

3DCoatDX64_3wxwvGfu4s.thumb.png.c8a7e163b9db29a0f42d48b19559f09f.png

If I bring the high into the Sculpt room and then the low into the Retopo, any mesh in the sculpt room just disappears. :-\

Plus, the transform widget is never in the centre. If I try resetting/snapping it, the position will change from 0 on all axis to something else. The transform widget for the high looks to be zeroed out anyway, whereas the low mesh is at a position of -0.14273, 12.7697, 0.07235

3DCoatDX64_d6bdkkV8d9.thumb.png.8cfe4c74a747b00d2c34847c985dc57e.png

• Advanced Member

Ohh, okay.

Right, so I've imported the high poly into the Sculpt Room, and then I imported the low/retopped mesh into the Retopo room... Is that the correct way of going about it...? After doing that though, the high poly disappears in the Sculpt room - there's nothing in there any more - but I'm able to work on the retopo/low without it being snapped to anything, which is weird.

Oh... I've now imported the high into the Sculpt room and hit Apply, and then imported the low/retopo from the same menu - Tool Options > Select Mesh. Is that the correct way...? Now I have a yellowy/browny version of the high poly and the low sitting on top. However, it looks like I can toggle the high poly on/off, but not the low. And only the high poly is showing in the Retopo room.

As i said before

Try this please: 

Import the High poly model to Sculpt Room using this tool

Objects > Import Tool (set import without Voxelization = ON)

import Low Poly mesh inside Retopo Room using this tool:

Mesh > Import

Hope it help

• Advanced Member

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to make sure I was going about the workflow correctly. There's another issue with this method though that I'm not sure about... I've noticed, once back in the Retopo room, that the low poly/retopped mesh tends to disappear depending on how far away or close the camera is. Culling, essentially. However, adjusting the Z-Bias isn't always helping, particularly if trying to zoom in further or to highlight an edge to add a face.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.447822176d977cff343b0bf5c23674b3.gif

Also, the scale looks to be wrong. If I bring in the high poly in the Sculpt room, I have to zoom in as it comes in really tiny. If I bring it in as a reference mesh in the Retopo room, it looks fine. I can tell there's a scale issue too if I save out the retopology I've done and then load it onto the high sculpt - it appears really tiny below the high.

Try Edit > Preferences > Near Plane Modulator

Tweak the cameras near plane to be able to move closer to the surface

Switch from Perspective to Orthographic view

Are both low and high poly exported as fx or obj ? Try switching file format

ZBrush exports are always tiny, look at this tuto:

• Advanced Member

Yeesh. Seems like one issue after another... :-\ I took both low and high polys into Max, reset the pivot points and applied an X-Form to them. I had to group the high poly though as it's made of multiple parts. Originally, I exported the high out of ZBrush. I put the parts of each piece/model into their own folder. I exported them out as an fbx. I found with this method, I'm able to toggle on/off each piece in 3DCoat in case anything gets in the way of my view whilst retopping.

However, after doing that, the high poly seems to come into Coat with all the parts spread out a part from each other.

3DCoatDX64_BpkaU1RzKu.thumb.png.d09e12d965c7583cbb2277103ad3f908.png

I also tried transposing everything in the folder and resetting the pivot point there, but no dice. :-\

• Advanced Member

Ugh. Tell me about it. All I want to do is make some adjustments to my original retopologised mesh as I've adjusted my high poly in a couple of places. :unknw: I'll upload the high poly, which I've decimated, and the retopped version from a previous file that I just want to snap to it. To my knowledge, I haven't moved either piece, and like I say, they both align in Max.

hair_base_decimated.fbx hair_original.fbx

• Solution

- Hair base has an animation keyframe, it is not at 0 0 0 Global Space.

HairBase.jpg

- hair_clump_1 (taking one mesh as example, but all the group have the same values) is at 0 0 0 Global Space

Hair_clump.jpg

- Both models are scaled to tiny values.

This is Hair base with transform values freeze

hair_original_freezed.fbx

• Advanced Member

That's... interesting. Not sure how that's happened. I always notice what looks to be a green keyframe at 0 in 3ds Max, so not sure if that's related. As to the scale - I'm planning on adjusting that once all my texturing is done as I know it's quite small. And as to the Global Space - I've noticed the pivot on the base/low poly is no longer centred to it...? As a result, it's at 0, 0, 0. I guess I shouldn't be centering the pivot on every piece...? It's kinda force of habit. ^^;

EDIT: Can confirm they're now matching up perfectly, so thank you for that. Thanks for pointing out that error. :D Only concern now, is how transparent the sculpt is. It can make things a bit awkward to tell where I'm placing new geometry in the Retopo room. I can literally see parts of the retop through the sculpt.

3DCoatDX64_KTeWXJuCHk.thumb.png.739a4ed58b32cfc355b9016ed0ea422b.png

Edited by DustyShinigami
  • Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Retopo - Retopology state doesn't align with new mesh
  • Advanced Member

Yeah, I've played around with that. It helps somewhat, but no matter the Z-Bias or Opacity, some part of the sculpt still shows through. This is where I've always preferred importing a reference mesh straight into the Retopo room as it remains solid and there's no transparency issues. To be fair, thanks to setting the pivot point in the right area, they now match up correctly if both meshes are imported to the Retopo room anyway. :)

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

• Advanced Member

I see. Is there a go-to scale when starting out with a model/sculpt...? Just adding a sphere in ZBrush can give my a scale on the X, Y, or Z axis that can be anywhere from 0-2+. Even if I'm making a character, and I start with the block-out first, and it all matches up to a reference of a male/female, the reference and the mesh could still easily be too small in global scale.

• Advanced Member

*Sigh* I hope this is something simple I'm overlooking, but now I'm getting the reverse problem. >_< I've made another adjustment/addition to my high poly/reference mesh, and I've taken my original retopped mesh so I can add it to the new scene/retop. Before I did that though, I checked if they align in 3ds Max, which they do, and I made sure the pivot was zeroed out on the low. So all that's gravy. I then applied an X-Form to it.

3dsmax_1hdze2C3Sr.thumb.png.9c0b2a5004bc94246420ad1e821eeb29.png

However, now, once I follow the above advice in 3DC, it seems to think the pivot has been aligned to the centre of the mesh instead, and is completely off the high as a result. o_O I've even changed my Scene Scale in 3DC to 100, and set the measurements to Centimeters (same as I use in Max), that someone else has suggested to me.

3DCoatDX64_eVmkvJf2Rv.png.164ea5737451cee41608a5d5cd9cec5c.png

3DCoatDX64_aWXyLWfpgI.png.abd27dd67717bd113a18dcf59c04d59c.png

But 3DC still seems to think my retopped mesh isn't zeroed at all. :(

3DCoatDX64_aZ5xz7RQbO.thumb.png.5a58d787f667c33c18396fb270fbd3f6.png

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue with another project, except this time, the low poly is tiny compared to the high poly in 3ds Max. :-\ As far as I know, I've done everything outlined and suggested to me in this thread, but something is still going wrong somewhere. So I start a new scene, set the measurements to Centimetres, the Scene Scale to 100 under Geometry, I go into the Sculpt Room, import my high poly, disable Voxelization... The only thing I don't get is the prompt asking if you want to keep the original scale, so maybe that could be the cause...?

3DCoatGL64_3mSVIimwQK.thumb.png.61609dbc1fb498a1a8ef154a8cd65243.png

Either way, the high poly comes in at the right size (as far as I know), I hit Apply, I go into the Retopo Room, import in each of my retopped pieces, everything overlays correctly...

3DCoatGL64_Xw5nMmZHFe.thumb.png.653b9f54a2d57a7b595fdd6c4f57ec11.png

But once I export everything out and load them into 3ds Max, the low poly is dwarfed compared to the high. I have it set to Centimetres on import as well. This is with OBJ.

3dsmax_BStVMPKrmr.thumb.png.038c389968a1e5b737585396eefde002.png

However, if I disable the option to convert the Unit/Scales so it's in Inches, it comes in fine. Having it set to Centremetres causes the problem. But what would I need to change/fix? Clearly something hasn't been set up right. And I'm guessing it's when I exported my high poly from ZBrush...?

Exporting them out as FBX works fine too, and they're scaled correctly, but I get a warning about Invalid UV Index Tables.

3dsmax_cjxEQn5L89.thumb.png.a9eae3484298a77d3c47a381b6acb206.png

How would this be fixed? Thanks.