3DCoat Forums

Why is this software so unstable ?

Elemeno

• Reputable Contributor
20 hours ago, Elemeno said:

I wanted to use the stable version ........"stable"

sickofthis.jpg

Every once in a while, I may get something like that, but it is pretty rate, and it is just something got corrupted in the mesh, other times it can be a temporary glitch of the graphics card...which closing and restarting the app may help.

Roll back to the latest Auto-Save,  if UNDO doesn't take you back. When you get back to a good state, try hitting ENTER, which will basically remesh the object evenly after voxeling it. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

This is one of the reasons I have stopped using 3D Coat. I had issues like this for years, with very little done to actually fix it. Masking was like a glitch roulette. It effected everything from texturing to sculpting, having to constantly reload. It gets old and the user should not have to do this.  Best thing to do is wait until they focus purely on bug fixes and workflow improvements instead of the usual feature creep, or learn to deal with accept these issues as part of the "experience". I had enough and just went to working purely in Blender, which is so much more polished at this point (arguably more functional too). For the hand painted texture projects, 3D Coat is still the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

well i was going to invest and get the 2021 version but the extra "features" dont seem worth it.

if the price is 150 gbp i think i might just put it into zbrush core because not this for example but i could spend hours sculpting and then weird artifacts appear and thats it my work is ruined

i cant spend my time and have it wasted i need it to be more reliable 

• Thanks 1

Forum Behaviour & Conduct

Forum Conduct
- No beating a dead horse - Constantly repeating a point, complaint, or otherwise bringing up an issue over and over does not improve the quality of discussion. There are better ways to bring issues to attention.
- No "versus" threads - Direct comparisons of one software over another are not allowed. Discussions about tools, workflows or development implementation is fine, but absolutely no "app vs app", or derogatory statements about an app. These bring needless debate that too often becomes contentious.
- No quote battles - Line-by-line arguments, particularly those on semantics of individual sentences do no one any good. These take away from the quality of the thread and discussion. If an issue cannot be resolved in a post or two then it should be taken to private messages, or dropped.
- No harassing, insulting, trolling, antagonizing or other such behavior is allowed. Treat others with respect at all times.

- If you have a problem with another user, don't be a vigilante. Take it up with the user in question in private or report the problem to a moderator.

Let's keep the forums a fun, productive, and positive place for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have been using 3dCoat for digital sculpting for 2908 hours now (yes I keep track of my work time :unsure:), and never lost my work due to a mesh getting corrupted while working or in a saved file. Actually never lost any part of my work done with 3D coat. And I sincerely find it hard to recall last time I found a bug.
Just thought I'd throw my experience to balance up a bit the thread :)

• Thanks 1

The development team is working hard to have on one hand the new features requested by the community done, and on the other hand to make them bug free.

This is not an easy task, and requires a lot of trial and error of users testing to find these bugs. 

That is why it is important -if they find one- a detailed report of how to reproduce it, so developers can find the solution. 

Simply complaining or comparing with other software does not help. 

Thanks

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I am sure they are working hard, in fact I remember having a very good impression of Javis and I believe it was Andrew whom I briefly met at Siggraph many years ago. The simple fact remains though, this artifacting and odd glitching issue goes as far back as 2008 (verifiable with a quick forum search). Every software has some issues that keep haunting it for years, this appears to be one of 3D Coat's. There is no way this behavior has not been reported often enough, the fact it is still there either means its hard to fix or is not a priority, even still to this day. There have always been a lot of weird idiosyncrasies (my own experience) with 3DC and the only reason I come back here now is to see whats being done and if there has been improvement. I often see more features, which is good, but still a continuation of some long standing issues/quirks. Bringing up those certain long standing issues ("complaining?") does help in so much as it addresses the "priority" aspect. Quantity and consistency of complaints can result in higher priority and thus have their place. I get that some are touchy about this subject here, but at the end of the day the software is just a tool and a product, one most of us paid for (Consumer status). Complaints about issues are what consumers should freely give, and as a mere tool it should not be taken personally (or religiously for that matter). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are right in that, the problem is solving irreparable bugs due to the old code used in the programming.

That is why Andrew made the decision to rewrite the code from 0 for many tools (such as the sculpting tools, where the whole brush engine was rewritten from 0).

Many have a higher priority than others, hence the delay.

This is the most unstable program I have ever encountered.

The fact that the administration says, they say, do not be indignant, send bug reports (to which there is no reaction), only repels.

You know, I wrote a review of the program on one site and I get about 100 views a month. It seems to me that fewer people come here per month, including regular users. Note that the number of negative reviews is only increasing every month.

I'll be pre-moderated again, but I don't care anymore. Sometimes this program works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't like the alien interface of zbrash at all, but for prototyping 3d сoat I'm better now, even with all the bugs. Although I'm sure zbrash is used by tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, of people all over the world, whether it's for making games or movies, jewelry, prototyping toys for children, cars. If I knew what I would face when using this program, it would be better if I saved up money for zbrush.

The working field of the program itself is very convenient. Simple and tasteful. Without billions of tabs. You just take it and sculpt it. It's simple. But everything breaks down about an error in the code.

Edited by Barrel

I am really not experiencing problems, at least with Voxel sculpting, which is the use I make of 3D coat. 

I also generate STLs for 3D printing of my models, to distribute them to miniature collectors. Regarding that, I love as well how optimal 3dCoat is when reducing models weight but keeping all the details. For my job it is very important that models weight as less Mb as possible but still keep all the sculpted detail once the model is 3d printed, and it really does this job wonderfully. All my customers are really happy with how our STLs look when printed (weighing only 18Mb per model's STL once optimized by 3dCoat!).

Edited by Gaelion
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

I am sure they are working hard, in fact I remember having a very good impression of Javis and I believe it was Andrew whom I briefly met at Siggraph many years ago. The simple fact remains though, this artifacting and odd glitching issue goes as far back as 2008 (verifiable with a quick forum search). Every software has some issues that keep haunting it for years, this appears to be one of 3D Coat's. There is no way this behavior has not been reported often enough, the fact it is still there either means its hard to fix or is not a priority, even still to this day. There have always been a lot of weird idiosyncrasies (my own experience) with 3DC and the only reason I come back here now is to see whats being done and if there has been improvement. I often see more features, which is good, but still a continuation of some long standing issues/quirks. Bringing up those certain long standing issues ("complaining?") does help in so much as it addresses the "priority" aspect. Quantity and consistency of complaints can result in higher priority and thus have their place. I get that some are touchy about this subject here, but at the end of the day the software is just a tool and a product, one most of us paid for (Consumer status). Complaints about issues are what consumers should freely give, and as a mere tool it should not be taken personally (or religiously for that matter). 

That was a fun event! I talked so much I ended up losing my voice a little more each day. By the end of the 3rd day I could barely talk lol

I love 3DC and the team, so it's hard to say, but I also find it buggy. I hope it does improve more over time. I am rooting for it. :) 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

right.... I initially created this post because my problem is common for others ,so i was asking why this happens and will it be fixed?

I had some ideas on how to fix this unfortunately they didn't work, I don't want to know if you hate or love this software , i paid a lot of money for this software and don't expect it to act this way.

also why cant we subdivide the mesh without it destroying my base mesh, it always adds a smoothing

• Thanks 1

I have lost more than a dozen models and hours of work to a particular bug that crops up in the retopo room where the UI borks and then you can't rescue your model or anything, it's just done. that, and the fact that sometimes undo will straight up stop working when errors pop up when you're painting, is pretty much all that keeps me from using it more often. I come back to use it every now and then and sometimes it goes great and sometimes the same old problems (which have been reported, etc) pop up and frustrates me all over again, lol It may be false hope, but I have my fingers crossed for the new version they're testing now

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Why is this software so unstable ?
  • 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 6/19/2021 at 1:42 PM, RabenWulf said:

This is one of the reasons I have stopped using 3D Coat. I had issues like this for years, with very little done to actually fix it. Masking was like a glitch roulette. It effected everything from texturing to sculpting, having to constantly reload. It gets old and the user should not have to do this.  Best thing to do is wait until they focus purely on bug fixes and workflow improvements instead of the usual feature creep, or learn to deal with accept these issues as part of the "experience". I had enough and just went to working purely in Blender, which is so much more polished at this point (arguably more functional too). For the hand painted texture projects, 3D Coat is still the best.

I know this post is 2 years old but i felt the same and almost not using coat except for painting because of the inconsistency of the software in the various rooms, i have download the 2023 version and again it's the same mess, first tried to use the voxel paint room and most brush did not work as expected, second i tried the suppose better app-link for blender and use send for UV and the model was send to painting room with normals flip. Also i had to fight to locate the 3d model since in various room it simply vanish from the viewport. Even if coat have great features it's not acceptable to have so much inconsistency when trying to work with it. Sad but to work with this software you constantly have to fight with it! In blender i have consistency and the behaviour of the software is always as expected, of course blender is very slow when dealing with high polygons count but at least it behave as expected. If i knew the amount of trouble i would have with it i would have wait for textura and not bother with the rest. Painting tutorials are so rare this is also not helping the new user.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I have used blender, houdini, zbrush, 3dmax, maya, mari, QuixelMixer, sp, sd, and more. Currently, I have been modeling for over 20 years. After truly understanding 3dcoat, I will understand its outstanding features. Although there is no dedicated person or tutorial to guide you in this area, when your work was previously using other software and later switched to 3dcoat, you will feel that 3dcoat has contributed to the work and indeed improved it to a higher level. In my opinion, it can do even better, More delicate, controllable, and stable. Of course, I need genuine users. I won't use blender or 3dmax, maya, because they don't give me as good as the 3dcoat tool, and my understanding of polygons is not at the same level as 3dcoat