3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Quad View

Ben Martin

Users are asking for a quad-view UI option at least since 2008 in this forum.
It is a shame that 3DCoat still does not offer a quad view option in V4 cycle.
Any 3D software that does not offer a quad view UI, can't really be called a 3D software. :D

Edited by Ben Martin

Hi Hdharris,

Thanks for comment.
Sure, I also can't recall the last time I used a fishing rod... oh... wait I don't go fishing. :D (This is a joke that means: It all depends on the thing you like to do.) 

Now, getting serious, I understand that many users don't use the "Quad View" or need one... it all depends on how "one's" brain "works" when modeling /sculpting?

For me, I'm an old school modeler kind of person, more than anything else.
My main tool was "Lightwave Modeler" for many years so the "Quad View" is like "hardwired" in my modeling /texturing process (and there's nothing wrong with it).

I started using 3Dcoat since the beginning, mainly for Texture Paint.
When I mean beginning, I really mean when Andrew first visited the NewTek forum to collect ideas on how to create "3D Coat".
Later he gave us the Alpha and Beta releases to test... fantastic times, so long ago.

I'm now adopting Blender (since LW development has stopped) and I use "3DCoat 4.x" mainly to apply PBR materials on my models.
Fortunately Blender also offers a Quad View mode UI. :yahoo:

About your question: "why is that the line for being an official 3d software?"
I'm sure you noticed the "huge smile" ending my sentence... so yes... I made a "kind-of" a joke but joke or not the sentence carries some truth in it since all well know 3D CG programs offer the Quad view IU option. :D

So, please, let it be.

Cheers, stay safe.

Edited by Ben Martin

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Quad View
  • Advanced Member

Why are you comparing different software? Please compare sculpt software, zbrush, meshmixer, mudbox, sculptis, they all do not have quad view.
And how you will utilize many views in sculpting and paintings? i mean 4 simultaneously. I am using 3ds max and i suing 4 view only for placing many object - scattering etc for big scene for rendering with interactive rendering window in one quad view. But at modelling i switch to one big view it's not needed all 4 views for making model in small quad windows.

Painting software like photoshop , SUBSTANCE PAINTER, mari also do not have quad view

better ask to have opportunity to move windows outside of main window

Edited by sprayer

• Contributor

Hello, I personally very seldom use quad views, when I do use them inside something like Cinema 4D it is typically to inspect the work quickly or hop between views. It is useful in that sense,

This is not at all meant to dismiss that there is a use/need for it, I just wanna clarify it's not necessarily in-line with my particular usecase and not necessarily something I would have very much need for

That said, I want to propose an addendum — let's say we have something like Quad View. What if we could combine that with Camera Shortcut options. Currently in 3DCoat viewport, one can add and remove, multiple camera shortcuts (default ctrl+up arrow) which one can quickly "snap back"/ cycle between the various views(ctrl + left/right arrow). I use this quite liberally when aligning, sculpting, modelling, painting, etc. 

bottom line, storing any one such shortcut in a concurrent "mini viewport" or the like could come in handy. Work in the main viewport, occasionally look in "mini viewport" determined by camera shortcuts.