3DCoat Forums

What will be the upgrade cost for 2021

michaelws

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, michaelws said:

Has the pricing been released yet?   I can't find it anywhere.  Thanks

It's not going to be much more for a new license of 3DCoat 2021 than the current one...I think it will be roughly 379-399 Euros, and they are supposedly moving to a yearly upgrade path (like Maintenance releases in other major applications), but the upgrade is going to be pretty cheap (like 50-60 Euros I believe). There are rent-to-own options. 

There will no longer be an Amateur/EDU version hose with Amateur licenses will get a really enticing offer to upgrade to 3DCoat 2021. There may be some complaints about the new licensing/pricing structure, but let's face it....every Software vendor has to choose which business model fits them best, and what may be good for Pixologic or Adobe/Substance, may not be feasible for a much smaller company like Pilgway. Also, every company has to look at their past/current business model and see where there are shortfalls. I think the Amateur version and the Steam version has really hurt Pilgway over the years, as many professional artists would just buy the Amateur license and use it for commercial purposes anyway, since there were no limitations for the tools they were using...like Retopo, UV Editing or Voxel Sculpting. They have statistical sales data to indicate this was one of those major shortfalls.

In the end, Pilgway is an extremely fair company, as they really do bend over backwards to make the application as affordable as possible, while still being able to pay their bills and developers. 

The original question was for upgrade pricing, are you hinting the upgrade price might be the same price as the current new license price of 379 euros?

I agree Pilgway are a fair company but I am not a fan of yearly maintenance in any software, also how they describe it is confusing unfortunately I can't find the reference to it at the moment but, from what I remember they mentioned the first year maintenance upgrade would be say 40'ish euros if you purchase it when your current maintenance expires but cost more if you let it lapse. However they also say (I think I am remembering correctly) it will stay cheaper if you keep paying the yearly maintenance but more expensive if you let it lapse then pick it up later. So does this mean if you let it lapse once you will be paying the higher price for all future upgrades or can you get back onto the cheaper price later down the track so to speak?

This sounds like what Lightwave did and I wasn't a fan of that either.

A lot of the time 3D Coat feels like it is in perpetual beta so how many stable releases are there going to be during a single year of maintenance?

Again, this isn’t me slamming Pilgway, I think they are a great company and will most likely upgrade to 2021 but I would be kidding myself if I said I didn’t have some reservations about the new license changes going forward.

Andrew.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Drocket said:

The original question was for upgrade pricing, are you hinting the upgrade price might be the same price as the current new license price of 379 euros?

I agree Pilgway are a fair company but I am not a fan of yearly maintenance in any software, also how they describe it is confusing unfortunately I can't find the reference to it at the moment but, from what I remember they mentioned the first year maintenance upgrade would be say 40'ish euros if you purchase it when your current maintenance expires but cost more if you let it lapse. However they also say (I think I am remembering correctly) it will stay cheaper if you keep paying the yearly maintenance but more expensive if you let it lapse then pick it up later. So does this mean if you let it lapse once you will be paying the higher price for all future upgrades or can you get back onto the cheaper price later down the track so to speak?

This sounds like what Lightwave did and I wasn't a fan of that either.

A lot of the time 3D Coat feels like it is in perpetual beta so how many stable releases are there going to be during a single year of maintenance?

Again, this isn’t me slamming Pilgway, I think they are a great company and will most likely upgrade to 2021 but I would be kidding myself if I said I didn’t have some reservations about the new license changes going forward.

Andrew.

No, I was not stating the upgrade price would be remotely the same as a new license, just that there wasn't a big change from the past. Usually, the upgrade price from one major version to the next (usually about once every 5-7yrs, with free updates in between), was roughly $80-90. I think it will be about the same, give or take $10 

7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

...the annual maintenance I believe will be roughly 40-50 euros, and there will not be a penalty for skipping a year, so it is very fair.

Hi,

I just found the reference to what I was discussing earlier in this link (https://pilgway.com/licensing/9), if this is incorrect then please ignore however the bit I am interested in is the last two paragraphs where they talk about 40 euros for consecutive years of maintenance and 80 euros for upgrades if they are not consecutive year(s).

To me it is not clear and does indicate there is a penalty for missed years in the maintenance plan?

Thanks,

Andrew.

20 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

Please contact sales@3dcoat.com for a detailed information.

Thanks

Hi Carlosan,

I might contact them but seeing as we are so close to release it's probably just worth waiting and seeing, if they still haven't made it clear by then I will contact them directly and update this thread as needed.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up to the question I asked about maintenance cost, I emailed sales@3dcoat.com a week ago but so far I haven't had a reply, I appreciate they are probably snowed under at the moment so rather than send it again I am going to leave the message I emailed them in this post in the hope it gets answered by someone from Pilgway.

Hi,

I have a two questions regarding 3D Coat 2021 licensing and maintenance.

I have been a user of 3D Coat since Windows version 2, I upgraded to version 3 and also added a Linux license, I then upgraded both licenses to version 4 and later on you kindly converted the Linux license to Mac.

Licensing:

With the above in mind I currently have 2 licenses of 3D Coat V4 on my account, one for Windows and the other for Mac.

Does this mean I can upgrade both licenses on my account to version 2021 and use them simultaneously on two of MY personal computers?

Maintenance:

Your description of how maintenance works is a bit confusing and I would like to know how you handle the following situation.

I believe you say if you upgrade the maintenance every year continuously without missing a payment you will pay €40 (or whatever it works out to cost) for each year of maintenance, if you miss a payment the cost of your next maintenance will be €90.

Does this mean that if I miss paying the maintenance one time I will be permanently locked into paying the €90 (or whatever the cost ends up being) for ALL future upgrades or can I get back on the cheaper €40 upgrade path again at a later date by continuing to purchase continuous yearly upgrades?

Basically, if I miss a yearly maintenance payment will I be forced to pay ALL future upgrades at the higher price?

The reason I ask is because Lightwave had a similar system and it ended up being unpopular with a lot of users.

I hope that makes sense, if not please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me on both questions.

I am sorry if my question came across as inferring the maintenance was obligatory, that was unintentional. I believe now you have made it clearer for me how the maintenance works and that you can get back onto the cheaper upgrade path at a later time.

I do think Pilgway are being flexible with the customer and do intend to upgrade.

Thanks again.

Andrew.

Edited by Drocket
update