3DCoat Forums

Retopo in 3DCoat and Switching to ZBrush/Blender and Substance Painter for the rest

linnos

Without going to far into the issues ive faced with 3D Coat(Too many to list, but constant crashes just did it in for me), it's a great retopology tool and I will always recommend it for that. The rest however, is just not up to snuff and stability is out the window.

I've used it for over a year and it pains me to make this decision because I do like 3D Coat. For anybody that reads this, wait until they make a standalone Retopo tool similar to the new standalone Paint tool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you on Mac or PC ?

From my side, I’m very glad with 3DCoat on my PC Windows 10. It works fine and is umbeatable for retopo, sculpting and UVs.

I don t like substance subscription obligation, you have to pay every month to be able to use the software. If you don’t need to use the software during one or two months, you still have to pay during those months.This is not good and unfair. Blender is not as good as 3D Coat for sculpting, retopo and UVs and by far. But it s an open source software, Free, with no support, it can t compare to 3DCoat. Blender is great for low poly modeling, but like many other SUBD modelers like Cinema4D, Maya, 3DSMAX, Modo, etc

zBrush is the direct concurrent of 3DCoat. It s very good and powerfull but not as good as 3DCoat for retopo and UVs. And it’s not so easy to use with plenty keys combinations to know very well.

The other software I use all the Time is Rhino3D v7. It s umbeatable for curve modeling l and also vector extrusions and creating good assets for games for exemple.

Edited by pgibouin

11 hours ago, pgibouin said:

Are you on Mac or PC ?

From my side, I’m very glad with 3DCoat on my PC Windows 10. It works fine and is umbeatable for retopo, sculpting and UVs.

I don t like substance subscription obligation, you have to pay every month to be able to use the software. If you don’t need to use the software during one or two months, you still have to pay during those months.This is not good and unfair. Blender is not as good as 3D Coat for sculpting, retopo and UVs and by far. But it s an open source software, Free, with no support, it can t compare to 3DCoat. Blender is great for low poly modeling, but like many other SUBD modelers like Cinema4D, Maya, 3DSMAX, Modo, etc

zBrush is the direct concurrent of 3DCoat. It s very good and powerfull but not as good as 3DCoat for retopo and UVs. And it’s not so easy to use with plenty keys combinations to know very well.

The other software I use all the Time is Rhino3D v7. It s umbeatable for curve modeling l and also vector extrusions and creating good assets for games for exemple.

I'm on Linux. I will agree it's great for retopo and UV's. I use 3D Coat everyday to make characters and like I said it's too unstable to use. I'm at the point that I sculpt with Blender, retopo and paint with 3D Coat, Can't make a normal map with 3D Coat because it just doesn't work and I've been consistently in the dev forums with this issue, same thing with rendering.

It's a great piece of software, but it's unstable.