3DCoat Forums

3d coat 2021 Linux versions

alexn007

• 2 months later...
  • Contributor

If it's of any help, I managed to make it work in Ubuntu, Pop!_OS and Manjaro without issues.

Just unpacking the compressed file into a folder, and then running the program from terminal should help to establish if any extra library is needed in your system.

Edited by Allabulle

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Indeed, I ran

./3dcoat

but received

./3dcoat: error while loading shared libraries: libomp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I ran

sudo apt install libomp5

and then tried again

./3dcoat

and it worked.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

A little follow up for you Linux pros if I may.. I extracted the 3Dcoat folder from my Desktop initially, and noticed it created a bunch of folders in the root of my Documents folder for instance.

How do you all go about installing it to keep the install clean and not add things in potentially unwanted places?

• Contributor
23 hours ago, arumiat said:

@Allabulle, yes if I try clicking on the executable file in Pop OS, it doesn't open. Are you able to share the command you use to run it possibly?

Sorry for the late reply, I was a tad busy. It seems that you have figured it out nonetheless.

Using Gnome desktop, I have a 3DCoat.desktop file pointing at a script that launches a terminal and the application. So when I click on the icon it launches 3DCoat.

If you need pointers on how to do that I'll happily assist you. It's really not that complicated, if at all.

As for the folders created in the Documents default home for the user, I let it be, for the time being. I had a few issues before and I never bothered to try it out again. It's a minor inconvenient, but I might try to get to it some day. Sorry for not being that helpful there.

• 3 weeks later...