3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] Retopology mode use Strokes tool BUG ?

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 7:25 PM, Carlosan said:

Hello

I am testing 2021.02 GL version and is working fine

Are graphic drivers uptodate ?

Windows https://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/V4.9/3DCoat-2021-02.exe

image_2021-07-13_142512.png

I experience the same. Why would this have to do with your graphics driver at all? This seems to be one of the standard answers around here as soon as there are problems with this software. Does not make a lot of sense. Anyhow, I updated my driver . Still the same. The strokes also do not work for me with 2021.02 GL . I don't undertand what this screenshot is supposed to say, it is completely unrelated to the problem of drawing strokes around tubular structures as you can see in op's video. Also attached a vid for demonstration. As you can see, the tool does nothing when trying to wrap around structure.

• Reputable Contributor

I believe I have found your problem. An educated quess  from  looking  your video. Of course I could be wrong. 

You have imported a model for per pixel painting or micro vertex.  I noticed you have a paint object in the paint room.  I can see the the paint objects tab in the retopo room as a model in it.

You can not retopo a paint mesh in the retopo room.  The model will appear but you can not work on it. 

From the new menu: Choose Preform Retopology. Shown in picture.

A tip. When selecting Preform Retopology, the model will be white, a little hard to see curvature. Under the View Menu choose Relief Only. If the model is a little dark increase the adjust the primary light. 

There is another method too, I will return shortly and edit the post to add it.

retopo.png

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Ok. After posting the above I think I found a bug.  It is in Windows version 2012.28 also.

The first time I chose Preform Retopology It sent me straight to the retopo room which it is the correct method. Now it sends me to the paint room. When I switch to the retopo room I can not work on the model. I will test further to see if this for sure is the case. 

I tested in Version 4.9.71. All is working there. I chose Preform Retopolgy and the model is sent straight to the retopo room where I can work on the model

• Carlosan changed the title to Retopology mode use cross Strokes tool BUG ?
  • Carlosan changed the title to Retopology mode use Strokes tool BUG ?
  • Reputable Contributor

Till the bug is fixed. Another method for retopoing your mesh.

New Menu------ Select Surface mode, choose the grid.

Left tool bar. Objects tab---Import

Import the model as a surface mode model, you will not lose any details on the model. If you scale the model up upon import and If asked to keep scale, select yes. When exporting your retopo mesh or sculpt mesh 3DC remembers the original scale of the model.

Select a shader that will show the curvature of the model clearly.

Now Switch to the Retopo room for your retopoing. 

This is my prefer method over Preform Retopoly. As I can select a shader and if for any reason I  do any sculpt work on the model I am able too. Plus if I want too bake a normal map, no further steps needed.

7 hours ago, digman said:

I believe I have found your problem. An educated quess  from  looking  your video. Of course I could be wrong. 

You have imported a model for per pixel painting or micro vertex.  I noticed you have a paint object in the paint room.  I can see the the paint objects tab in the retopo room as a model in it.

You can not retopo a paint mesh in the retopo room.  The model will appear but you can not work on it. 

From the new menu: Choose Preform Retopology. Shown in picture.

A tip. When selecting Preform Retopology, the model will be white, a little hard to see curvature. Under the View Menu choose Relief Only. If the model is a little dark increase the adjust the primary light. 

There is another method too, I will return shortly and edit the post to add it.

retopo.png

Thank you! I gotta admit I am now super confused about how the rooms relate. As I am used to using other programs, I just don't chose an option from the Welcome dialogue window. I close it and just went to "file -> import mesh -> Reference Mesh". I assumed this is a correct thing to do to perform retopo, as the term "Reference Mesh" is somehting I am used to when wanting to perform retopo onto a high poly mesh, which is then I thought called "Reference Mesh".  

But this exactly lead to the strokes not working. You are absolutley right. It seems to not work on paint objects, only on sculpt objects. I dont understand the separation, yet, and why this causes some tools to work and others not.

However, when choosing "Perform Retopology" from the Welcome menu, and then choosing "import huge reference mesh", the strokes tool works.

It seems when wanting to use 3D Coat, one need to get used to certain things how rooms are related and stuff. I find it a bit irritating though that a wrong decision subtly cause some tools to just not work, instead, one could have an instruction displayed that says for example : " Hey dude! You are trying to retopo on paint objects. Please send the mesh to sculpt room first" or something similar.

Thanks for the help! I am trying to get into 3D Coat and this was the first major roadblock I coud not somehow solve myself or by googling/watching the YT channel).

Coming from around 8 years of Blender and 5 Years of ZBrush usage, I feel lost about how meshes are handled. I am used to import somehting and be able to do whatever I want in other programs. It seems in Coat you need to know exactly whats allowed where from the start.

Regarding the "Relief Only", I unfortunately can not get the view modes to work anymore, its really werid. Even after multiple restarting and restartign my machine., the shortucts 1  2 3 5 7 8 dont work anymore. I also can not activate them anymore over the menu. Never happened to me before.

Edited by walter_sullivan

Hmm Digman, are you sure about this?:

9 hours ago, digman said:

"You can not retopo a paint mesh in the retopo room.  The model will appear but you can not work on it. "

Because I could work with all the other retopo brushes, even the strokes tool to perform retopo, just the "wrap around"  strokes as  seen in the videos before did not work. the rest of the toolset worked, despite it seems I was retopoing on top of paint objects.

I have attached another video. You can see my process I did here from before, ignoring the Welcome Screen and importing manually. This way, I also have my view mode shortcuts back working!

You can see that retopo tools still working, even if these are imported seemingly as paint objects?

Edited by walter_sullivan

• Reputable Contributor

Strokes tool.... is bugged. It stopped working for me and Carlosan reported the same. The reason I made my first post is that strokes tool worked but then it stopped when I tried again. 

Opps even an old time user makes a mistake ever so often.

Your are correct. I have not used importing for per pixel painting for retopoing in years if ever so brain foggy in memory that the other tools do work. I did not even check any of the other tools I just assumed they did not.

I generally would use Preform Retopo  or the method I described.  These two methods are the best for retopoing.  

Accept my apology. 

I also sent you a pm.

Edited by digman
added more info.

14 hours ago, digman said:

Strokes tool.... is bugged. It stopped working for me and Carlosan reported the same. The reason I made my first post is that strokes tool worked but then it stopped when I tried again. 

Opps even an old time user makes a mistake ever so often.

Your are correct. I have not used importing for per pixel painting for retopoing in years if ever so brain foggy in memory that the other tools do work. I did not even check any of the other tools I just assumed they did not.

I generally would use Preform Retopo  or the method I described.  These two methods are the best for retopoing.  

Accept my apology. 

I also sent you a pm.

Thanks much! No apologies needed :)

Very nice caring here in the community, rarely experienced something similar before. Many thanks for the generous pm offering help. Really really appreciated.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:29 AM, digman said:

Strokes tool.... is bugged.

Thank you digman.
The Paint mesh does not work in the room retopo as a reference.
This means that it is impossible to get sections for it in the Strokes tool and Smart retopo.

• Reputable Contributor

@ Gorbatovsky,. 

I think there might have been a little confusion in the thread. In testing what was happening ,I found a strokes tool bug in importing for  "Perform Retopology".  That is what  I meant by the strokes tool was bugged. 

I read my post mentioning the bugged strokes tool , I failed to mention I was talking about the strokes tool for Perform Retopology" 

I have posted a bug report in the development thread.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] Retopology mode use Strokes tool BUG ?