3DCoat Forums

New tutorials

Artomiano

Hey there,

yesterday I upgraded my license and the system works so far. But there are less tutorials out there. Other apps like the software with the big "Z" offers dozens of tutorials. 3DCoat is lacking some of it. So, let me ask, can we expect a bunch of new (and high quality) tutorials? It seems that the new version makes some things in a different way and, as far as I k now, some things should now be done with a new workflow. I know, version 2021 was just released and the Pilgway team has much work with bugfixing next weeks. But it would be great to have some more "real life" tutorials that shows all important aspects of the software.

Keep up the good work. I have great expectations! :D

P.S. Any chance to get a "full step by step tutorial" on how to create that great battleship from the teaser video? :D

Edited by Artomiano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Artomiano said:

Hey there,

yesterday I upgraded my license and the system works so far. But there are less tutorials out there. Other apps like the software with the big "Z" offers dozens of tutorials...

Hello ,

I second you. Imho, the lack of high quality tutorials is the biggest drawback in sales for 3D-Coat. It is mandatory for Pilgway to partner with
a handful of skilled people as "ambassadors" of this marvelous piece of software. When I say ambassadors I mean teachers. I need them to show me, step by step, over and over again the WHOLE process of creation, back and forth, from zero to render. No time lapse, no shortcuts. And the very next day, I wouldn't mind at all if  they will use a different workflow to same result. I am sure this sounds familiar to many on this forum regarding other great names in CG industry.

Every single full tutorial will advertise 3DCoat. I can't see a better commercial to improve the sales. Also, relying on third party paid tuts would be a mistake for many reasons.
Please Andrew, don't ignore the fact that so many people don't know how to proper use this gem. Help them, make them want a license.

• Like 1

I don't understand this gripe?  There are hundreds of tutorials on youtube for instance from 3dc directly and many other artists??  Look before you say this or do you think this does not quantify as enough tutorials?  On 3dcoat channel they literally cover almost every single tool; use the search on that page for a tool if you need something specific.

AlienMinefield - YouTube

3DCoat - YouTube

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, co3Darts said:

I don't understand this gripe?  There are hundreds of tutorials on youtube for instance from 3dc directly and many other artists??  Look before you say this or do you think this does not quantify as enough tutorials?  On 3dcoat channel they literally cover almost every single tool; use the search on that page for a tool if you need something specific.

AlienMinefield - YouTube

3DCoat - YouTube

Thanks for the two links. The official 3DCoat-Channel is already known! ;)
But - like many other videos - the video set of "AlienMinefield" is nice - but old, about four (!) years. There are so many changes inside of 3DCoat that a whole bunch of features, how to's and workflows will not work anymore. Some will, others not. I hope that we will get some "workflow" tutorial sets - for the actual software.

• Like 2

I'm taking 2021 for a spin right now.  I can see your point on workflow.  I guess It feels pretty similar in workflow and tools to v4 to me.  The new poly and curve tools are a huge boone to 3DC IMO and sculpt layers.  These features are documented online as well however but in the Beta stuff for v4.   I'd recommend playing around with the modeling tools/curve tools and export/import some simple geometry and I think you might find it's not 'too' different IMO.  Cheers.

And yes Alien Mine Field I was simply using as example of 3rd party documentation.  It is old but still for new user/intermediate user, I think has value still.

Edited by co3Darts

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, muzgawa said:

Hello ,

I second you. Imho, the lack of high quality tutorials is the biggest drawback in sales for 3D-Coat. It is mandatory for Pilgway to partner with
a handful of skilled people as "ambassadors" of this marvelous piece of software. When I say ambassadors I mean teachers. I need them to show me, step by step, over and over again the WHOLE process of creation, back and forth, from zero to render. No time lapse, no shortcuts. And the very next day, I wouldn't mind at all if  they will use a different workflow to same result. I am sure this sounds familiar to many on this forum regarding other great names in CG industry.

Every single full tutorial will advertise 3DCoat. I can't see a better commercial to improve the sales. Also, relying on third party paid tuts would be a mistake for many reasons.
Please Andrew, don't ignore the fact that so many people don't know how to proper use this gem. Help them, make them want a license.

I've made a few tutorials over the years and lately a weekly sculpt session for a game I'm working on.

Here are a couple of videos.  The first breaks down how I build a reusable character body base and the second on how to start with a sculpt, retopo, bake, texture and export.

•  

Old video, but really breaks down the foundation of using the program for sculpting.

•  

I have a lot more on my channel, but these 3 are pretty solid for understanding the basic character sculpting tools

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

One more.  This is a timelapse, but it shows some of the other techniques all being used.

Then a continuation using curves for the armor

One last one showing one of my first forays into 3D Coat 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that more videos can help it's popularity. Not only the Z competitor, but Blender too. (Although with the recent rise in Blender popularity you may also have to filter through loads of crappy ones) 

It may be focused on v4, but there are the paid courses by @AntonTenitsky, which I highly recommend (starting with the Mech course):
https://www.artstation.com/tenitsky/store
https://tenitsky.gumroad.com/

And his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AntonTenitsky

• Advanced Member
On 7/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, Carlosan said:

I am adding new tutorials almost daily at 

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/forum/15-tutorials-and-new-feature-demos/

Please take a look

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know about this part of the forum.  This is an excellent curation of 3D Coat demos/tutorials.  Though nothing beats an organized tutorial series teaching the program step by step, these are a GREAT way to get better at 3DC.

Thank you, Carlosan!

• Thanks 1

Hi,
I'm depressed and I am frustrated. // Forgive me ahead of time for my tone.
I've been through youtube and the links in this thread. ..as well as the 3dCoat tutorial website section.

..it appears that there are no professional tier (technical) training videos for 3D Coat. Is that right ?
There's an abundance of long drawn out, barely informative videos that show how someone makes a character or some other random object.. but there's no professional tier training, short and concise videos,  that shows 3DCoat in use as the abstracted 3d specific toolset that it is ?

AKA: professional technical training.
This is very very sad.

Edited by erb
typo corrections

5 hours ago, erb said:

Hi,
I'm depressed and I am frustrated. // Forgive me ahead of time for my tone.
I've been through youtube and the links in this thread. ..as well as the 3dCoat tutorial website section.

..it appears that there are no professional tier (technical) training videos for 3D Coat. Is that right ?
There's an abundance of long drawn out, barely informative videos that show how someone makes a character or some other random object.. but there's no professional tier training, short and concise videos,  that shows 3DCoat in use as the abstracted 3d specific toolset that it is ?

AKA: professional technical training.
This is very very sad.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned in my first post. The thing is ... you can make a wide search on the internet and will find some interesting videos that explain something useful about 3DC. But mostly these videos are outdated. Sure, some of the aspects of the software are still living. But it lacks professional tutorial series. It's a pain to invest dozens of hours to search and find something you need.

But hey, these weeks the new version "2021" has just been released. So we should be patient. I hope that soon there will be updated and useful step-by-step tutorials on the way. That's because I can see Pilgway is really hard at work on this new piece of software. They publish new builds nearly daily. That's a big deal! :download:

• Thanks 1

So we should be patient. I hope that soon there will be updated and useful step-by-step tutorials on the way. That's because I can see Pilgway is really hard at work on this new piece of software. They publish new builds nearly daily. That's a big deal!

I do agree. Thank you to the 3dCoat team for releasing so many new builds and fixes, and working so hard.  I / We do appreciate you all.
I'm simply very excited/eager to get to using 3DCoat to see how and where I can fit it into my work flows within various industries.

@Artomiano -(the WYSIWYG editor would not de-bold this text.)
I made a post about seeking someone to speed-train me;  one on one via screenshare.  
Perhaps this is something you might want to do as well instead of waiting ? 
If so, let me know and I'll reach out to you when I have more info to share.

Edited by erb
removed sentence that was meaningless
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 7/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, gbball said:

I've made a few tutorials over the years and lately a weekly sculpt session for a game I'm working on.

Here are a couple of videos.  The first breaks down how I build a reusable character body base and the second on how to start with a sculpt, retopo, bake, texture and export.

•  

Old video, but really breaks down the foundation of using the program for sculpting.

•  

I have a lot more on my channel, but these 3 are pretty solid for understanding the basic character sculpting tools

Wow....I must check these out. Many thanks for the links...

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/14/2021 at 12:35 AM, Artomiano said:

Hey there,

yesterday I upgraded my license and the system works so far. But there are less tutorials out there. Other apps like the software with the big "Z" offers dozens of tutorials. 3DCoat is lacking some of it. So, let me ask, can we expect a bunch of new (and high quality) tutorials? It seems that the new version makes some things in a different way and, as far as I k now, some things should now be done with a new workflow. I know, version 2021 was just released and the Pilgway team has much work with bugfixing next weeks. But it would be great to have some more "real life" tutorials that shows all important aspects of the software.

Keep up the good work. I have great expectations! :D

P.S. Any chance to get a "full step by step tutorial" on how to create that great battleship from the teaser video? :D

There are plenty in the works. One series on sculpting the Rhino is requiring TONS of editing

Andrew replied about this:

- Completely new folders structure. Really streamlined and logical as it was proposed in this thread.

Almost all now is split between two folders - data and UserPrefs.

As it is logical, UserPrefs is user-created content.

Data is sort of temporary stuff.

The folder in documents changed, now it is Docs/3DCoat-2021/.

> C:\Users\username\Documents\3DCoat-2021

Even if the folders structure is changed it is compatible with the previous one.

As soon as 3DCoat detects some files copied to the new location in Documents from the old one, it will convert the files to the new structure.

Also, if you will install 3dcpack it will be installed correctly (except presets that use old tools that are not present in the toolset).

So, to migrate from earlier beta you may copy folders from old beta to Docs/3DCoat-2021 or create 3dcpack in old beta and install using UI.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 8/11/2021 at 12:33 PM, Carlosan said:

Andrew replied about this:

- Completely new folders structure. Really streamlined and logical as it was proposed in this thread.

Almost all now is split between two folders - data and UserPrefs.

As it is logical, UserPrefs is user-created content.

Data is sort of temporary stuff.

The folder in documents changed, now it is Docs/3DCoat-2021/. Even if the folders structure is changed it is compatible with the previous one.

As soon as 3DCoat detects some files copied to the new location in Documents from the old one, it will convert the files to the new structure.

Also, if you will install 3dcpack it will be installed correctly (except presets that use old tools that are not present in the toolset).

So, to migrate from earlier beta you may copy folders from old beta to Docs/3DCoat-2021 or create 3dcpack in old beta and install using UI.

And where exactly are these data and UserPrefs located? A complete file path or unc would be appreciated.

Thanks kindly.