3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] 3DCoat 2021 - user data folder relocation problem

hi.

I'm trying to relocate my user data from default location but i'm getting this weird error : '' The selected path is not writeable. Data can'tbe relocated. Please choose other location ''. I'm well certain this is not the case since I've tried two different perfectly writeable and functional discs and I've also tried to relocate it on C drive, next to the default folder - same error pops up. Any ideas anyone, how to fix this ? thx

• Carlosan changed the title to [BUG] 3DCoat 2021 - user data folder relocation problem
  • Advanced Member

I have same issue, then try old way which recommended before.

There was 2 ways,  Change PC enviroments variable for 3d coat data path, or make setting file then locate it in same directory where 3d coat aplication installed (aprication directory)

For me 2nd way worked. change PC enviroment variable cause issue for me, (for V4.9 version ) so, I tried but return it (not recommend)

1.  Decide relocation directory  (eg I:/3dcoat/link/3DCoatt-2021) then make the directory first.

2.   copy and paste files of default location,  /mydoucment/3DCoat-2021  to the new relocation directory (I do not know which file I really need to copy so basically copy all)

3.  make txt file, which describe the Path of new relocation directory. then save it as  coat_data_path.txt, and locate in the 3d coat 2021 aprication directory. 

4.  run 3dcoat-2021 exe,.

For me it finally worked. 3d coat 2021 auto relocate the new directory as data directory. (just confirm, I check the path auto changed)

I do same thing for beta version but do not know it really need or not.

mycoatdatapath.JPG.88b5ac6345d4964fd99e02350c0ab5bb.JPG

locatepath.JPG.15184d5a8ae197540e5543d931929c4f.JPG

relocateconfirm.JPG.2f01ae48d14f48923f32fc22f57e2a57.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

I do not thin brush or smart materials or shape which offered for other version (V 4.5 etc) may work perfectly for this 2021, so manually test some materials and alpha migrate.

Hope if there will be way, simply use all old data,(alpha etc)  just set Path so. (at current I think I need to have 2 data directory for 4.9 and 2021 ver) though do not expect much.

alpha and most of smart material seems worked for me, but when I test first time, I actually see crush  (3d coat failed to run) windows 10 version.

then I clean up the new data of 2021 (only copy and paste default datas of my documents) then manually migrate one by one from my data path of V 4.9.

. now it seems work without crush message for 2021 (and beta of 2021)

Edited by tokikake

I had problems importing the extensions. So I also copied and pasted everything manually. That wasn't a problem with SmartMaterials.

But it didn't work with the brushes. Then I tried a bit and found a way to import them.

I opened the 3dcoat-2021 folder under Documents. And a second window with the folder 3d-CoatV49. Also under documents.

Then I created a subfolder called "textures" in the 3DCoat-2021 folder. In there I created another folder called "patterns". I copied and pasted all files from the same folder under 3D-CoatV49 into this folder.

Then you have to start 3DCoat in 2021. But it will crash. You have to restart the program and push away the error messages until the newly created "textures" folder in 3DCoat-2021 is automatically deleted. Then the program opens and all brushes are imported.

I don't know how, but it worked. I have to mention that I didn't import all brushes at once. But piece by piece. For example, I copied and pasted 5 folders. Then I restarted 3DCoat several times until the "textures" folder was automatically deleted. I repeated this process several times.

brushes.jpg

Hello, this issue was solved on latest version. Could you try this steps please.

- Completely new folders structure.

Really streamlined and logical as it was proposed.

Almost all now is split between two folders - data and UserPrefs.

As it is logical, UserPrefs is user-created content. Data is sort of temporary stuff.

The folder in documents changed, now it is Docs/3DCoat-2021/.

Even if the folders structure is changed it is compatible with the previous one.

As soon as 3DCoat detects some files copied to the new location in Documents from the old one, it will convert the files to the new structure.

Also, if you will install 3dcpack it will be installed correctly (except presets that use old tools that are not present in the toolset).

So, to migrate from earlier version you may copy folders from old versions to Docs/3DCoat-2021 or create 3dcpack in old version and install using latest.

Hope it help

Hello,

thanks for the description.  But that's exactly what didn't work for me.  I first tried to install the 3dcpacks.  The loading bar appears.  Shortly before completion, however, 3DCoat crashes and nothing was installed.  

Regardless of whether it was smart materials or brushes.  Then I exported my materials etc. as an extension myself in order to reinstall them in 2021.  Didn't work either.  The migration assistant did not work either and simply copying it over from the document folder only worked with the Smart Materials.  

Only my previous description worked for the brushes.  I've been using 3dcoat for a long time.  And never had any problems so far.  Only now with the update to 2021.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hello, this issue was solved on latest version. Colud you try this steps please.

As it is logical, UserPrefs is user-created content. Data is sort of temporary stuff.

The folder in documents changed, now it is Docs/3DCoat-2021/.

Even if the folders structure is changed it is compatible with the previous one.

As soon as 3DCoat detects some files copied to the new location in Documents from the old one, it will convert the files to the new structure.

Also, if you will install 3dcpack it will be installed correctly (except presets that use old tools that are not present in the toolset).

So, to migrate from earlier version you may copy folders from old versions to Docs/3DCoat-2021 or create 3dcpack in old version and install using latest.

Hope it help

Thanks about way to merge earlier version contents. I may try it, at same time,  OP issue already resolved?

That means, I hope to keep all non default brush , smart materials, in different volume (not my document)

then to make it work, what step I actually need? because I may need to relocate data directory. or is there way, user set directory as they need for user-prefs?

From read your description, I suppose,, I may keep default data in documents. but hope to move UserPrefs contents to another volume or another HD.

so what I may need? 

• Advanced Member

Ideally, (so to keep things stable), I suppose we need option which only relocate userprefs data directory = user customize contents (custom made smart materials, brush, etc) from my documents.

before I suppose, data relocation  relcoate all data (default data and user prefs data).  

If 3d coat will offer option "Set user pref directory" and it not show error (OP issue) I simply hope to use it. then migrate old my prefs data. but keep default 3d coat data in my documents.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] 3DCoat 2021 - user data folder relocation problem