3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
Just now, Silas Merlin said:

I used CCleaner to remove early 2021 builds :
-Tools > uninstall

-then > registry > scan for issues > review selected issues > no > fix all selected issues > close
-after that, folders remain in start menu. To remove them, go to c:programs and delete folders of old builds : they will vanish from start menu

Ah thanks  I may try CCleaner ,, I got some trouble about other registry Cleaner aprication (do not remember the name though) those app often try to install un-necessary aprication (with installer option),  and the app cause problem then force me to up-date almost all week. so I have not used those app.

CCleaner is stable enough? 

1 hour ago, tokikake said:

I like to test beta, but one small issue is when I use windows un-install aprication (from windows menu), it usually remain old beta version coat data.. And I can not remove those orphan data from this menu any more.

I usually use the tool (windows offer) to un-install many beta versions app, then it run un-install exe,and remove most of files. and directory.  but each version of 3d coat remain there.

(eg in this pic, I actually un-install most of beta version 3d coat use, un-install.exe of each version, but windows keep to show it as remain, and can not remove it)

So if you offer correct way to clean un-install, I keep try to install new version.. (recently, remain those old orphan data is somehow annoying  for me)

uninstallclean.thumb.JPG.3afd6fda82d9b69df31250b745c996b6.JPG

if you describe clean un-install way for betas (to up date new one) and windows (for my case), I appreciate. 

Easiest way to remove old shortcuts:

press on WIN key in the left bottom. Type "control", click on "Control panel". Select Programs there. Then Programs and features. Then rmb over the shortcut, uninstall. Windows will offer to delete the reference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, insignet said:

I'm finding the brush engine in 2021.16 rather erratic. Video shows basic setup in the Paint Room using a Wacom Intuos Pro ( drivers up to date ). When making the strokes there is a definite lag on the brush when lifting the stylus to start the next stroke causing a drag line in some cases and no stoke being placed at all (1:10 mins) on the 'k'. The quality of the 2021 stroke is very good, but its having to think once the stylus if lifted and that small pause interrupts the painting. Testing with V4 the stroke quality is not as good 2021 but there is no drag line between strokes.

Does it happen with both approaches - WinTab & TabletPC?

Is there lag with mouse?

And please turn off vertical synchronization in prefs and try again.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Easiest way to remove old shortcuts:

press on WIN key in the left bottom. Type "control", click on "Control panel". Select Programs there. Then Programs and features. Then rmb over the shortcut, uninstall. Windows will offer to delete the reference. 

Thanks it worked to remove those un-used short cut for un-install.   I may try to clean registry later.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Does it happen with both approaches - WinTab & TabletPC?

Is there lag with mouse?

And please turn off vertical synchronization in prefs and try again.

Confirmed there is no lag with the mouse.

WinTab solves the problem of the lag but I can can only use a single monitor

The  issue when using WinTab is it doesn't work with dual monitors as the cursor/brush is offset when painting ( see dual monitor video ).

• Advanced Member

The Wet Clay brush is fantastic. The whole brush engine has been greatly improved in almost every area. The FPS and speed of strokes is amazing. Think I said it before, but I'll say it again. Keep up the good work Andrew and all the developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Oh !
I notice just now the "soft scrape" tick box for the scrape tool !
This is fantastic, because that means you can leave Cuda on in geometry menu and untick "soft scrape", instead of constantly having to disable Cuda when you (I, at least) want to use Scrape tool.

Yet, I have this question again, like for the muscle tool : why are the tool options for those tools on the top bar where you could fail to see them for months or years, instead of in the tool options panel ?

• Like 1

31.07.21 2021.17

- Curve based tools (tube/muscle, toothpaste)respect pressure controls - radius and depth. If the stroke is fast&dirty the whole stroke is divided into chunks to avoid dirty self-intersection.

- Sharp edges over the curve tool are now correct, without self-intersections. Compare:

image.png

- Fixed issues related to Curves->Import image as mesh. Now curve well previewed, cleaned up before inserting into the scene. And work for old curves approach as well if active now.

- bug reports analyzed, several potential instabilities fixed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Reputable Contributor
29 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Curve based tools (tube/muscle, toothpaste)respect pressure controls - radius and depth. If the stroke is fast&dirty the whole stroke is divided into chunks to avoid dirty self-intersection.

Excellent, thank you !

-If the stroke is started in the void.... it has zero depth until it hits an object.

-If your stroke is fast enough, you can avoid the snapping to a distant object, which is nice, but... a tick box to disable it entirely would be nice.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 7/22/2021 at 2:38 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

eople who want to help with translation

4 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Excellent, thank you !

-If the stroke is started in the void.... it has zero depth until it hits an object.

-If your stroke is fast enough, you can avoid the snapping to a distant object, which is nice, but... a tick box to disable it entirely would be nice.

It would be useful to have a way to manipulate a drawing plane or stroke origin point using the 3D mouse in real time.  So instead of changing the view, there could be an option for the 3D mouse to move around a depth/orientation plane.

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, gbball said:

It would be useful to have a way to manipulate a drawing plane or stroke origin point using the 3D mouse in real time.  So instead of changing the view, there could be an option for the 3D mouse to move around a depth/orientation plane.

I'm not convinced.

I played with the N key to move objects in combination to 3d mouse. I really tried, spent some time with it, on different days.
It's really a fun novelty, yes. but. I'd love to hear about someone who has really put it to practical use.
My conclusion was/is that I want the 3d mouse for... navigation. So, I would/will use the trace mode, yes, but not with the N key.
(and in fact it is not really a novelty, Second Life has has it for years, but I have never heard of anyone who uses it. It is just not practical, because while you manipulate the object you lose the ability to navigate... and without the ability to navigate it become impossible to judge the real position of the object, because you are in 2d the whole time).

Your suggestion is appealing, but I think it would be like what I just described. a nice novelty, probably not practical.
As it is, it is possible to define the stroke origin point by "touching" an object at the distance at which you want your stroke to start. Normally you can then move into the void (being careful not to touch anyting else) before you start your stroke (except at present if you do that with muscle tool your stroke depth will be zero).

No, what would be really nice would be to be able to manipulate the stroke origin some other way, (and to manipulate an object N-key style too).
For that, the only thing that would make sense to me would be to do it with hand gestures in the air. (kinect style).

• Contributor

A short while ago I sent a bug report for 2021.17 , experiencing some initial crashes on repeat attempts with the muscle/tube tool using alpha on a roughly 500k vox layer, while it was fine in 2021.16

I think my bug report can be safely dismissed after all, because after a while the crashing ceased completely and it works fine now without any problems:unknw:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, poeboi said:

A short while ago I sent a bug report for 2021.17 , experiencing some initial crashes on repeat attempts with the muscle/tube tool using alpha on a roughly 500k vox layer, while it was fine in 2021.16

I think my bug report can be safely dismissed after all, because after a while the crashing ceased completely and it works fine now without any problems:unknw:

I got up to 40mil and i got bored but... I tried all the stroke tools and they were fine I couldn't replicate it

crashtry.jpg

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, poeboi said:

nope it does crash you're correct lol i wasn't using alpha

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I'm not convinced.

I played with the N key to move objects in combination to 3d mouse. I really tried, spent some time with it, on different days.
It's really a fun novelty, yes. but. I'd love to hear about someone who has really put it to practical use.
My conclusion was/is that I want the 3d mouse for... navigation. So, I would/will use the trace mode, yes, but not with the N key.
(and in fact it is not really a novelty, Second Life has has it for years, but I have never heard of anyone who uses it. It is just not practical, because while you manipulate the object you lose the ability to navigate... and without the ability to navigate it become impossible to judge the real position of the object, because you are in 2d the whole time).

Your suggestion is appealing, but I think it would be like what I just described. a nice novelty, probably not practical.
As it is, it is possible to define the stroke origin point by "touching" an object at the distance at which you want your stroke to start. Normally you can then move into the void (being careful not to touch anyting else) before you start your stroke (except at present if you do that with muscle tool your stroke depth will be zero).

No, what would be really nice would be to be able to manipulate the stroke origin some other way, (and to manipulate an object N-key style too).
For that, the only thing that would make sense to me would be to do it with hand gestures in the air. (kinect style).

Actually, what you can try Silas is ghosting the layer and changing the pick behaviour to act, but don't pick.  That should help in the situations where you draw over existing geo.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

anyone else got a slight lag when fast movement left to right its become unresponsive.. not sure if its my end or not but blender at 2 mil is a lot more responsive

You forgot to write the parameters of the brush, what tool.
There is no need to compare warm to soft.
Also, the result depends on the size of the mesh.

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

You forgot to write the parameters of the brush, what tool.
There is no need to compare warm to soft.

sorry that was silly of me, for me the clay thick layer is very slow in voxel mode 

thick layer parameters

thicklayertool.jpg

the responsiveness is quite slow.

and the voxel tools grow tool crashes me instantly 

Edited by Elemeno

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

can anyone else check the carve tool on voxels please.. mine isn't doing anything at all

Carve tool works here but it seems that after a tool has been updated in a new build you may need to right click it > restore default.
Except that of the pure voxel tools, only Build and 2d-Paint seem to have that option.

The build tool did not work for me at all when it was reintroduced, until an ulterior version.

31.07.21 2021.18

- Very important changes in brushing, First, if the pen touches the tablet and you paint something exactly all trajectory that was really drawn on the tablet will be drawn in the model. It makes drawing really responsive, solves the problem of "backstroke" mentioned before in TabletPC mode, solves the problem of shorter strokes than actually drawn. This should strongly improve the drawing experience.

- Offset problem principally fixed. But currently (at this build) at a cost that all rendered 1:1 in screen resolution without system scaling, so UI looks smaller. Probably you will need to set Large font for 4K monitors. Or use custom. Generally, I like how it looks on my 4K monitor, much sharper. This solution is still under the consideration.

-  Fixed crash in muscle/pen, toothpaste.

Treat this build as BETA because of that two big changes, then need at least a short time to be tested.

• Like 3

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic