3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member

I add one more request about modeling tools (I think new 2021 offer many interesting tool for modeling, then I hope it will be more improved)

We may often use select >> extrude for modeling, I like to use gizmo for rough modeling  , but when I work for inner faces,, gizmo stop to work.  (I think it is same , when I add primitive, sometimes gizmo stop to scale .. gizmo seems hidden then not work )

set opacity as 0 or change z Bias not help it, (I tried to use wireframe mode, but gizmo still not work .   I may need to move gizmo out of mesh  (it means change center pivot, so I do not)

And I think we need real wire-frame view which can show all edge,  for modeling.  or we can not check covered edge  (if I miss option forgive me pleaese..)

innerpoligon.thumb.JPG.44587d628ddb4cc3e60ec6411f7c81af.JPG

release .25 says carve tool works but still not working with CTRL and lasso. Cant carve off sections with the lasso tool like before.

Using a standard brush with CTRL carve works but never use this tool like that. Cutting off shaped pieces with the lasso was a great tool when sculpting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

yes could use the cutoff tool which does work but that means switching brushes which is just a bit slower :) 

Reverting back to the old version as use this function a lot. Hope can be fixed soon.

Edited by captainbuckfish
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

If you uncheck the box there is no confusion because then there is only one action  pick colour from the pixel on the screen itself.

Pick from screen is very useful because it allows you to pick colour even on vertex painting (which did not work well before if at all)
Pick from layer is also useful because it allows you to paint in smooth shading mode and still be able to pick the unshaded colour that is actually painted on the layer.

Now I think this could be made better :
When you choose to pick from screen, it would be more interesting if Coat would still attempt to pick depth, roughness and metal from the layer if it exists.

Also, when you choose to pick from layer, there is the option to pick depth or not, but something is missing : the option to pick metal/roughness or not ?

Thanks for the reply.! :)
My main work is non-PBR work. (Handpainted)
I wasn't aware of the usefulness of these features.

However, compared to the previous version,
I found it to be a fairly useful feature.

My work seems to be solved by using a Flat Shade view.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please try if the build 26 solves all similar issues.

I now can stable transform even though gizmo hidden in back faces with 26. thanks.(all transform gizmo now work for me, without stop with scaling):D

(but do not test full, with change voxel unit etc,)

I really hope 3d coat soon offer way to check back edges. (there should be many case we need to select,  those  hidden verts . edges without turn around view)
with orthographic view we may often transform  back side verts edges, faces.  Projection  wire frame view must need to model precisely. 

(like vase inner etc)

checkinneredge.thumb.JPG.ba2ef229e7f08dec26d672fd9f464df2.JPG

• Advanced Member

And I think there seems still clipping issue.. though it seems depend my unit setting.....

I actually can not zoom in (but I do not think it is too small detail) to check small polgion details with full screen.

3d coat usually to stop to zoom in (even though I use ortho graphic view) .. with limit

I set user>prefrecnece near plan modular as 0.001 etc  but can not zoom in any more like this plane size. 

(I do not think I try to tweak and zoom too small polgions) 

zoominlimit.thumb.JPG.9afb2974ab30a8e7d2a56645ff048e26.JPG

No.  I do not think there is way to close up more,. I tried to change geometry setting Unit as mm or change scene scale more large, but after all 3d coat not forigve me to zoom in more. (eg close up narrow edge) 

it cause issue when I use knife tool to set point in small edges. (3d coat can not set point for narrow edges with this zoom view, if it can more zoom in, I suppose it work)

if I try same thing in blender, it can zoom almost 0.1 mm unit (I do not feel any limit for zoom with clip setting, and with autographic almost no limit) so can add any loop or cut with real view and edit detail where I need for. 

if it related with my current setting Unit (eg we should set it as cm or mm),I may follow the rule though (if it is clear,, eg we should set unit as cm or mm to zoom in detail), I can manage so.  then hope dev confirm it with attached scene 3b. (at current I keep to use Unit as Meter to easy import blender default unit (though I can change blender unit if it really need)

zoomin.JPG

testlimitscene.zip

Edited by tokikake

8 hours ago, captainbuckfish said:

release .25 says carve tool works but still not working with CTRL and lasso. Cant carve off sections with the lasso tool like before.

Using a standard brush with CTRL carve works but never use this tool like that. Cutting off shaped pieces with the lasso was a great tool when sculpting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

yes could use the cutoff tool which does work but that means switching brushes which is just a bit slower :) 

Reverting back to the old version as use this function a lot. Hope can be fixed soon.

Yes same here.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please try if the build 26 solves all similar issues.

Here is example in WinTab and WindoswInk mode - seems like it works ok in WindowsInk.

Now, as for pressure and strokes, it's kinda works, but strokes and overall viewport and tools panel is a bit laggy at very begining of each stroke. In WinTab still no strokes, at all.

I wondering if all the issues are somewhat connected with OpenGL, as that was the one that was most problematic in V4.

• Advanced Member

If I create a polygon model in the model workspace, I should be able to render that model in the render workspace? The conversion of a polygon model to a surface/voxel model is an unnecessary step? Something like 'Show model in Render Room' ? 

• Reputable Contributor

I agree.... 

A workaround till the feature is added hopefully.

Render Room:

Settings. Check the box in mark in red in the picture.

The model from the Modeling Room will appear in the render room even though the check box saids "Retopo Mesh"

You do not have to render to a file to see the model...

render settings.jpg

1 hour ago, insignet said:

If I create a polygon model in the model workspace, I should be able to render that model in the render workspace? The conversion of a polygon model to a surface/voxel model is an unnecessary step? Something like 'Show model in Render Room' ? 

the best way to do this is to enable option "Sculpt Mesh"

shot.png

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

Ah OK I finally (maybe) manage all scale thing with view...

I have avoided to change scene scale  (it often issue for me before) , Then  if I set scene scale as 1.00 3d coat can only zoom untill the 1 unit square fit to the view.  so basically the unit define the smallest square which camera can zoom in.   if I set Unit as 1mm,, 3d coat can zoom 1mm square for camera view.   if I set unit as cm , 3d coat can zoom 1cm, Then if I set unit as meter, 3d coat can zoom I meter square full in camera view.  (roughly) then can not zoom any more.

To avoid it, I must need to change scene scale.. (I really do not know what 3d coat change from 4.9),, but at current even though I set scene scale as 100,, 3d coat keep all measurement size about same mesh size.. and grid distance,  so Scene scale seems only matter for current view size.   then If I hope to check more detail (with unit as meter), I only need to change scene scale as 100 or 200 etc. 

100scale.thumb.JPG.68e968a576f8f2dc38c270743e161301.JPG

squarelimit.thumb.JPG.0d35c98d27c446271948232ca12653e2.JPG

Then if I keep to use scene scale 1.00 with unit 1 meter, 3d coat can only zoom for 1m square (so it never work for detail modeling, sculpting)

I suppose that means, when I change unit like meter, I must need to change scene scale too to get detail as zoom (I may use 100 to get 1cm square zoom with 1 meter unit setting)

(Scene scale seems only effect view size, (for zoom in ) but measurement size never change about grid distance and import mesh)

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor

To let you know on my end never did have any problems with Scene Scale set and 100 and measurement unit at meters.  

Hopefully at sometime the measurement tool ( left tool bar) will be able when you change units in the tool not change the measurement unit under the Geometry Menu. I want to work at meters but be able to create smaller cm objects. I could do that better if the measurement tool would just measure the unit I am currently using in the measurement tool.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, digman said:

To let you know on my end never did have any problems with Scene Scale set and 100 and measurement unit at meters.  

Hopefully at sometime the measurement tool ( left tool bar) will be able when you change units in the tool not change the measurement unit under the Geometry Menu. I want to work at meters but be able to create smaller cm objects. I could do that better if the measurement tool would just measure the unit I am currently using in the measurement tool.

Yes I know you had recommend to set scene scale as 100.  but I did not understand why I need to change scene scale about that time.  

Because at least for me,  scene scale not effect any geometry size and grid size as measured when import (so imported 2 unit cube should be shown as 2 unit cube ..)  but now I understand, I need to change scene scale, (eg 100 or 10 or 50 ) to zoom in to detail. (so your recommend setting = scene scale as 100 means we can zoom in 0.01 meter square as limit)

I approve we can change mesaurement unit, eg 1m will be shown as 100cm 0.01Meter will be shown as 1cm.  (but it not so huge problem for me,, anyway hope to keep stable )

And I may mainly use Grid to get visual measurement ... (roughly) then if I change voxels per unit, I must need to change grid setting (or unit scale). I still think it is not good. (voxel count should not relate with visual (custom) grid distance,, do not you think so?)

Then as for me,, I  feel at least  3d coat scene scale means almost current view size (because it not effect real measurement size etc)  ^^; (then it may change with camera zoom in out,,, ), so I really do not know why we need to have this setting .. (but it effect max limit of view, So I need to change it with measurement unit),,,  

At same time scene scale change brush size too..  so after I change scene scale as 100 with unit meter,, and  use 1m size brush (1 unit) I need to set brush radius as 100.

(though it seems good for me,,, because I may prefer cm unit brush , then set radius as 1.0 to get 1cm brush is more usual)

radiuswithscenescale.thumb.JPG.0f7c89ee1a5359f5e907def914af25c0.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

I now try to set plane for box hide tool by 3 point, though I can still drug with R drug each point, but can not se value for each point to set more strictly.

I can input value like x=0.0 but the value not updated even though I click ok...

planesetting.thumb.JPG.402992570d1dd93cf9743646f1d6f02f.JPG

changepoint.thumb.JPG.c75c385f7ad5501c37896a3f0cd88473.JPG

sorry if it already reproted... I can still RMB drug each point, or pick point to set plane , but it not so useful for precise work..

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2021.26

Confirmed... Primitive Tool Panel not showing all the tool options at the bottom.

A workaround till it is fixed.

This worked for me.

Use your mouse / tablet pen to drag the dialog box till you see all the options in the tool. 

When I reopened the primitive tool, it remembered the last position with all the tool options showing.

I closed and reopened 3DC and the primitive tool panel remembered the position. 

Edited by digman
Added info

• Advanced Member

I dunno what have you done in mirror update with the brushes but flat polish behaivior changed completly to unusable.

Easy things in .26

hSX9S6W.png

I cant even replicate now .27

ePJySdX.png

brush settings same, file same, behavior clearly changed. Look guys its so tiring to work as a beta tester, i need work to get done and i cant do it when this kind of bugs introduced

Edited by jimhatama
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I have found out that this flat brush bug is related to Global space. It is somehow corrupted some volumes from .26.  If you convert to global space, the issue goes away. There are zero indication that something is off exept wierd flattern behavior. I dunno if it will happen again in .27 and can give you the file with problem

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, jimhatama said:

I have found out that this flat brush bug is related to Global space. It is somehow corrupted some volumes from .26.  If you convert to global space, the issue goes away. There are zero indication that something is off exept wierd flattern behavior. I dunno if it will happen again in .27 and can give you the file with problem

Question:

Curious, as I have not updated to 2021.27 yet.

In your 2021.26 version file did you have the red warning (Non Uniform) at the bottom of 3DC.  This indicates the voxels are stretched in one axis and can produce artifacts.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, digman said:

Question:

Curious, as I have not updated to 2021.27 yet.

In your 2021.26 version file did you have the red warning (Non Uniform) at the bottom of 3DC.  This indicates the voxels are stretched in one axis and can produce artifacts.

No. And if you  convert corrupted volume to Uniform space it aslo doesnt solve issue. It was gone only after to Global space operation 

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic