3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 8/28/2021 at 4:55 AM, roentgen said:

I see.  (Un)Fortunately that's not problem for me because also Blender can't assign 2 or more UV maps to one vertex.

Sorry, this was completely my mistake. Correctly, as mentioned me by tokikake, Blender can't assign *INDIVIDUAL* UV maps each a polygon.(One vertex/polygon is included by  ALL UVmaps)

As Carlosan said, 3dcoat does not, 3Dcoat can assign only one UV map to a polygon. (One polygon is included by ONE of UVsets)

> There is no ability to assign different UV maps to the same polygon. 

Attached FBX(Ascii), uvmaps_test.fbx,  has multi UVmaps, when it's imported to 3dcoat, then we can see all UV maps wrote on the file, but 3dcoat does not know that polygon must be included by which UV set is.

If so, for re-painting, I should just consolidate all UV maps to one on blender when that object has many materials. This works well for me because I just wanted re-painting. But this may not be any help for other workflow.

I would say that may not necessarily need to separate objects/retopo-groups.

uvmaps_test.fbx

• Advanced Member
56 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

I don't know if you have tested starting with more than one sculpt objects, and several retopo objects for each meant to become materials of one paint object :

It won't work well, because as soon as you enable the beta feature, you lose benefit of "name correspondance".

I actually now think how I can manage it when I bring mesh to sculpt room then  geometry sculpt ><;) and bake those normal map for each retopo objects.:unsure:

for my first purpose was simply import mesh for paint room/ retopo room then edit mesh and texture sculpt (so paint or add normal in paint room only) 

So I think Digman procedure work for me, (I saw some un-stable case, how 3d coat generate UV with use the beta option for UDIM UV), but I seems manage it when I send the mesh to paint room. but as you said, when I bring the retopo groups to sculpt room >> (I may merge it as one sculpt layer to easy sculpt),  I can not bake sculpted normal maps 

I may need to merge each retopo groups as one mesh. or I may need to separate each sculpt layer , as same name as each retopo group.

but it may only work each section is clear divided.  (eg I test with simple cube mix obj, then it not separated as part. only group by UV tile and material groups) 

When sculpt connected part in sculpt room 3d coat need to select each sculpt layer >> so I need to merge to sculpt connected part...

(I may need more real sculpt test ^^; or need good teacher I suppose)

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, roentgen said:

Sorry, this was completely my mistake. Correctly, as mentioned me by tokikake, Blender can't assign *INDIVIDUAL* UV maps each a polygon.(One vertex/polygon is included by  ALL UVmaps)

As Carlosan said, 3dcoat does not, 3Dcoat can assign only one UV map to a polygon. (One polygon is included by ONE of UVsets)

> There is no ability to assign different UV maps to the same polygon. 

Attached FBX(Ascii), uvmaps_test.fbx,  has multi UVmaps, when it's imported to 3dcoat, then we can see all UV maps wrote on the file, but 3dcoat does not know that polygon must be included by which UV set is.

If so, for re-painting, I should just consolidate all UV maps to one on blender when that object has many materials. This works well for me because I just wanted re-painting. But this may not be any help for other workflow.

I would say that may not necessarily need to separate objects/retopo-groups.

uvmaps_test.fbx

I think I might mistake too. I might need to clear separate word usage between UV map and each UV set/ tile usage.. blender can attach multiple UV for mesh. (but usually we use only one UV map for current view , at same time  one UV map can contain multiple UV tiles or can separate as materials even though all UV locate on same UV tiles. (1 UV unit square)

we can still mix use many UV map in shader, as I need to render each materials. 

3d coat can not apply different UV maps (it include some UV sets tiles)  but 3d coat can use UV sets as UV tiles or can use material as if it is separate UV sets.  (but one mesh have one UV , at least I think so, 3d coat not offer we can mix different UV map even though I edit Smart material )

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, tokikake said:

but it may only work each section is clear divided.  (eg I test with simple cube mix obj, then it not separated as part. only group by UV tile and material groups) 

yes wth clearly divided sculpt objects that do not intersect there is no issue (no need for name correspondance).

However, when you have multiple intersected objects (not welded) to bake, you simply cannot use the beta feature to treat retopo objects as materials because you have to disable name correspondance. Therefore the baking will not know from which object to bake at the intersections.

• Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor

I did not keep 2021-9 to test, but I am pretty sure baking with reflections worked better at that point.

Now screenspace reflections seem to have no effect, emissive has no effect, added lights have little effect, and the most disturbing : custom angle for environement light has no effect.

• Contributor
19 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Just a short addition, as explanation. When I start 3DCoat2021.37,38 windowed, and then try to maximize, the screen is not refreshing. It looks like in the Picture.

To try that you have to first open 3dcoat, make it windowed, close 3dcoat again, and reopen. If I try to scale the Window bigger I get black borders.

@Andrew Shpagin

I figured out it has nothing to do with the shader settings, but can be triggered by that.

It is a screen refresh problem that I have. I can restore the whole 3dcoat window by reloading the scene. Maybe it is also only related to nvidias mobile gtx 1070,1080.. series.

For now saving and reloading is okay. 

Thank you

21 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

@Andrew Shpagin 

It happens almost always. :unknw:

Steps are:

1. create a Voxel Primitive in Sculpt

2. assign a shader with texture

3. edit current or permanent shader settings

4.click edit texture, choose texture or hit cancel

5.click okay

Result is: 3DCoat is still working, but the screen is only refreshing in the lower left.  There is one other thing.  If I start 3DCoat in a smaller window and then try to maximize, I also get the same black borders. Its not refreshing to the new borders of the program window.

This somehow seems connected. I have a notebook with nvidia gtx 1070, latest driver 471.68, 3DCoat2021.38

I will try to go to an earlier version to check if it worked earlier. What I know is, I don't have this in 4.9.72

Thank you for your attention. 

blue_metall.png

I am also unable to replicate... Try to delete the folders

Documents/3DCoat-2021/data

Documents/3DCoat-2021/UserPrefs/Preferences

Does the shaders issue happen in fullscreen mode (ALT ENTER)?

• Like 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I am also unable to replicate... Try to delete the folders

Documents/3DCoat-2021/data

Documents/3DCoat-2021/UserPrefs/Preferences

Does the shaders issue happen in fullscreen mode (ALT ENTER)?

'SOLVED: No screen refresh when changing window size.'

@Andrew Shpagin HA!! You are a Genius. That actually worked. How did you know that? 

Thank you Andrew! :yahoo:

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Reputable Contributor

@Silas Merlin  

Windows version: 2021.39 re-uploaded.

Names Correspondence is working on my end with  " Treat Retopo Groups as Materials" enabled in Preferences.

I did test with more that one sculpt layer earlier and now here also with meshes intersecting.  3 separate sculpt layers. 3 retopo groups, Sculpt layers and retopo groups have the same identical names.

The meshes shown have no artifacts. Without Names Correspondence enable I get tons of artifacts where the meshes  intersect each other.  

Once baked I hid each mesh separately to check for artifacts and there were no artifacts in the 3 meshes. 

Went back to the Retopo Room. Combined the Retopo groups to one. Used Update Paint mesh with Retopo Mesh and no problems here either.

Yes, this is a simple model but I pushed the intersections to test. The purpose of the test was to see if 3DC was baking each mesh separately. I will test on a more complicated model but should work.

Saying the below again so it is clear just to be safe for any user reading this post.

This feature is designed for mainly this workflow----- Sculpt----Retopo-----Bake to paint room. I know this as I requested the feature.

How it works on importing meshes for per-pixel painting, importing a model into the retopo room or importing models with multiple UV sets , Udim tiles, I do not know as that was outside my scope of using the feature.

If you have a 3DC file to share, I will happy to test. PM me with a link.

works.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version: 2021.39 re-uploaded.

Used Names Correspondence with "Treat Retopo Groups with Materials" enabled.

Second Test result on a more complicate model. The sculpt objects have intersections and the separate sculpt layers are occluding each other also.

4 sculpt layers, 4 retopo groups.

Auto-map to save time. yes is it messy...  Baked for normal map which I did as well in my last test.

I again hid each object (Surface Material) to check for artifacts. There were none.

I went through the entire workflow as I described in earlier post.  

Final result---- One Paint Object---One Surface Material---One UV set.

All appears to be working.

Works2.jpg

When I paint a surface model in the paint room and merge the layers with Marge Visible, the visible layer is merged into Layer 1 regardless of the visibility of Layer 1.

If Layer 1 does not exist, the result of the merge does not seem to be saved in any layer.
The display remains temporarily, but when you switch the display status of Layer 0, the remaining display disappears.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, digman said:

@Silas Merlin  

This feature is designed for mainly this workflow----- Sculpt----Retopo-----Bake to paint room. I know this as I requested the feature.

It would be a very sad world if features could be used only for the specific purpose they were designed for.

Anyway, here is what I meant :
If you want to create three materials for each of your three separate objects, (Nine retopo objects total, for 3 sculpt objects), then name correspondance just cannot work.
(because the names of 9 retopo objects can't match 3 sculpt objects).

AH!
A workaround to test :
give the same name to each retopo object in a group of three, matching the name of the sculpt object.

this could maybe work (to be tested)

After baking, when you go to paint room you will get a warning that multiple materials share the same name (making it impossible to export all textures).
this will be easily solved of course either by renaming them in uv-room, ot just painting like you would in your scenario and then unifying the uv-sets in the retopo room before updating paint mesh, again as per your scenario.

Edited by Silas Merlin

9 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

However, when you have multiple intersected objects (not welded) to bake, you simply cannot use the beta feature to treat retopo objects as materials because you have to disable name correspondance. Therefore the baking will not know from which object to bake at the intersections.

About this: Therefore the baking will not know from which object to bake at the intersections.

Bake w/name correspondance:

- Before 38 upgrade was not working as expected

- After upgrade is working fine, please try again.

Edited by Carlosan
edited for fine tunning

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Bake w/name correspondance: after upgrade is working, please try again.

Carlosan, as I explained just now, this was just theoretical :
if you have more retopo objects than you have sculpt objects, then how can name correspondance work ? (if you give each retopo object a distinct name, they won't match with a sculpt object)

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

It would be a very sad world if features could be used only for the specific purpose they were designed for.

Anyway, here is what I meant :
If you want to create three materials for each of your three separate objects, (Nine retopo objects total, for 3 sculpt objects), then name correspondance just cannot work.
(because the names of 9 retopo objects can't match 3 sculpt objects).

AH!
A workaround to test :
give the same name to each retopo object in a group of three, matching the name of the sculpt object.

this could maybe work (to be tested)

After baking, whn you go to retopo room you will get a warning that multiple materials share the same name (making it impossible to export all textures).
this will be easily solved of course either by renaming them in uv-room, ot just painting like you would in your scenario and then unifying the uv-sets in the retopo room before updating paint mesh, again as per your scenario.

I did not say other workflows would not work only I did not know. Is it possible for other workflows, yes of course. 

A feature can be improved by users requesting more workflows for that feature. 

• Reputable Contributor

Possible bug: 

Windows version: 2021.39

This is importing the cube from the New Menu,  Paint w/ Deep Displacement (Micro-Vertex). 

The regular Brush and fill tool do not recognize the Smart Material depth information.  

The above only creates a smooth displacement.

Side Note ---- Stencils work correctly with the fill tool and regular brush.

The Airbrush does recognize the Smart Material depth information.

Steps to reproduce:

New Menu,  Paint w/ Deep Displacement (Micro-Vertex).

Choose the cube and subdivide upon import at 2k or 4k resolution plus 4 million or 16 million ( millions of polygons) in the import panel for 3DC's internal use.

Select a default Smart Material that shows good depth information

Turn on relief mode under the View window.

Use the fill tool and the Regular brush to see the error in the displacement map using a smart material.

Use the airbrush to see the correct displacement applied using a smart material.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Andrew ShpaginHey Andrew. Small request. Could we get a "Invert Hidden" function in the "Visibility and Ghosting" menu. For large scale sculpt trees this would be far more efficient if we want to work with a few layers at a time and would greatly reduce the amount of work we would have to do in the Sculpt tree itself. Basically the idea is to stay in the view port without having to work in the sculpt tree. For example, In a large scene with 50 sculpt layers I only want to work with three objects in the scene, each one on a different layer. I would hide those 3 objects interactively using "Shift V" in the view port. Then I would use the new "Invert Hidden" function to only see those 3 objects in the view port that I just hid. As of now, there is "Isolate" or alt "eye icon " in sculpt tree, which only works with one layer at a time. Then the only option is to hunt through the sculpt tree to find the others you want to unhide. For small scenes as it is now might be ok, but when dealing with large scenes or complicated scenes, this is too cumbersome. This may have been overlooked, but is a standard in many 3D apps and necessary in my opinion. Thanks for you and your teams hard work.

//edit

solved on version .40

Invert.jpg

Edited by Carlosan
up to date info
  • Like 2

3D-Coat 2021.36

Im getting a strange result in the paint room with the rectangle lasso.

When I use the default sphere, front ortho view, ignore backfaces checked.

I do a rectangle select across the sphere like this:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.cdf1751cfa86da053fec28ce5aa01e85.jpg

And I get this:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.0525ed6eb3b8769595170d3bcf988cb3.jpg

But if I use the default Cube, I get this:

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.fc654b59334dc7ec9be9c5baaf72a994.jpg

Seems like a bug.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

[ UV Room ]

313492134_bandicam2021-08-3112-18-53-062.jpg.b234f10bce4432686b0e0ece49d08fbe.jpg
I still have an issue with the Mark Seams tool's Hotkey and UI overlapping.

[ Retopo Room ]
Select tool - (Vertex / Edge / Face) selection.
Mark seam tool - (Vertex / Edge / Face) selection.

• The above two tools cannot assign the same hot key.
  • You cannot even create a Stack key.
  • If one side is assigned, the hotkey of the other side is deleted.
  • And hotkeys assigned here (Vertex/Edge/Face) cannot be deleted with BKSP.

From the user experience, the hotkeys of the above two tools need to be unified.
As if (move / rotate / scale) of Transform is (W / E / R)
Can't the hotkeys be unified?

• Advanced Member

[ UV bug ]

In E-Pannel brush mode
drag select doesn't work

---

[ Request for further improvement. ]

I would like to improve the selection area so that it can be selected what i want.
This is an inconvenience that has continued since V4.
Personally, it's something I'd like to see improved.

1926548007_bandicam2021-08-3113-34-47-130copy.thumb.jpg.6fc2f58bbe436e1f351031c6966535bb.jpg

There is always something I feel uncomfortable about when working with UVs in 3DCoat.
There is a problem that when you select edges and faces with the Lasso tool in UV Preview, you must always include vertices for selection.
In this way, in order to select the part I want to edit,
1. Select the area
2. Deselect unnecessary areas
You have to go through this unnecessary process.
Of course it's inconvenient, but if you're working with a single UV Island, that's fine.

But I get the following problem:

When UV Overlap for game asset optimization is being performed, UV cleaning is not possible in 3DC.

Game assets often use overlapping UVs to ensure high quality with a small amount of textures.
Divide the texture area for various variations with one material texture
After painting, we place the UVs.

If the UVs are the same, you can easily organize them with the Copy/Paste UV function.
However, it is not always the same UV structure.
So you need to align them by hand.

492451058_Honeycam2021-08-3114-32-26.gif.350e7921e30e758383a35508d620f423.gif695435909_Honeycam2021-08-3114-34-31.gif.30be9c89374c2d1dc843fde727e7ea72.gif
Now I am facing the issue mentioned above.

1. Select the area
2. Deselect unnecessary areas
3. Occurrence of non-deselected parts
(+ Compare with 3dsmax image)
Equidistant / Horizontal /Vertical....
There is a good sorting function, but I cannot use it due to the above problem.
I hope you can make some improvements.

//
Edit 2) Add image for explanation

Edited by Yousung
add image
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

This is rather bad bug, that makes making high detial meshes impossible. If you switch from surface to voxel brushes (for example after chisel/or if you use surface build up a bit)  back and forth, hard edges  get progressively destroyed by this operation. It seems like voxel remeshing algorithm is broken/changed from 4.9, Ive tested and this doesnt happen on 4.9. It is also much faster on 4.9 it looks like 2021 remeshes whole volume each time and 4.9 only changed part

5ODPS8Y.png

after several these operations mesh looks ugly like this. in 4.9 everything is ok.  This makes any detailing impossible in 2021

GSw0c4D.png

Edited by jimhatama

Yes, high detail meshes using Voxel mode is impossible more difficult

Voxelization is a form of uniform resampling and Uniform resampling means loss.

Many prefer a workflow that uses Voxels for basic volume and Surface mode for rapid detailing.

On 5/24/2013 at 6:39 PM, ebitz said:

I use voxels to create just that volume, or mass, something that I can sculpt on. It does however provide alot of tools for detailing a volume as well. After creating the basic mass, I switch to surface mode because it is fast. And when I am in surface mode if I have sculpted something that begins to stretch the skin of my volume all I have to do is hit enter, and the surface re-volumizes for even distribution while still leaving me in surface mode. .

Please read this thread, hope it help

• Advanced Member

this is a bug. voxel remeshing behaving normal in 4.9 it is much faster(abt 5 times)  and do not produce artefacts. Open program and test by yourself. 

Even better test - create default sphere and test this in 2021 and in 4.9

Edited by jimhatama

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Yes, high detail meshes using Voxel mode is impossible.

Many prefer a workflow that uses voxels for basic volume and Surface mode for rapid detailing.

Please read this thread, hope it help

High resolution in Voxel Mode is not IMPOSSIBLE...just not very practical, in general. For example, a person could use the COPY tool to copy the face region > crank up the resolution to achieve a very dense volume and create very fine wrinkles and pores. However, it's not necessary when the user can switch to Surface mode to do this type of work with dynamic subdivision.

He is asking voxel mode for hard surface modeling need very high density to sculpt crease edges.

Voxelization is a form of uniform resampling and Uniform resampling means loss.

This is not the common workflow. That way take more time to get good result.

Voxel mode for blocking, Manual retopo for details (or Switch to Modeling room to create shapes).

Send mesh back to sculpt room on surface mode. Resample and use project tool to transfer detail. Fine sculpt to finish. Retopo > bake > paint.

• Advanced Member

Test with 2021.39  (I think I have seen same issue with other 2021 versions)

If I save scene which not have any paint objects , retopo mesh, sculpt mesh. (empty scene),  but change some setting and save the scene ,  3d coat seems auto generate  Paint object and empty Surface materials with saved scene name, when I open the saved file next time.

I did not see this issue about 4.9 

1. open new file. go to paint room. 

2. Just save as empty.3b or test.3b 

3. shut down 3d coat to confirm.

4. run 3d coat, open empty.3b or test.3b

5  3d coat add empty/test paint object, and empty/test surface materials. as if there are such paint object. (i do not know when it is added)

====
I think even though I add reference mesh in retopo room or add primitive and save as scene,

3d coat generate the new paint object with surface material (without any real poligon) as the saved scene name.

Edited by tokikake

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic