3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

52 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Probably different monitors connected to different video cards. One to fast one and other one to the integrated. So it works not good.

Thank you for your quick reaction. I have both monitors connected into my GeForce GTX 1080, so this isn't source of problem. I'll try to update the graphics driver and I see if it works.

25 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Hi

After creating a cube and selecting Smart Extrude, the selection options disappear, if I choose transform the tool options change but I still cannot select components, when I return to Smart Extrude I still cannot select, if extrude does not allow me to do it following an axis . 

1 hour ago, Baisop said:

Thank you for your quick reaction. I have both monitors connected into my GeForce GTX 1080, so this isn't source of problem. I'll try to update the graphics driver and I see if it works.

I updated the graphics driver and the problem still persists. I recorded a short video of the problem. Left is main screen. WindowState.json is opened in Notepad++.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Yes.
This occurred because you made a selection.
When tool Smart Extrude is active,  the Selection option image.png

is enable only if no selection faces or edges.

Then how you can add o remove faces to the selection to perform Smart Extrude ? If i need to switch tool for every single selection is a little convoluted. Far away the common workflow found on any other app. Thanks.

i also get this problem in stencil mode.

if i drag to change the scale of it its actually gonna affect my mesh if i do it over (you can see the green rectangle because im in rectangle lasso mode)i dont remember this in previous version.

also in cube mapping the stencil preview doesnt seems to appear properly, just all black

Untitled.png

@milhouzz you can do it on Sculpt room too

Tube array.jpg

- Select the Voxel/Surface model on any layer and drag and drop it into Splines or Sculpt Models panels

drag.jpg

- Draw a curve

- RMB over a curve > Select attach tube or... command

Attach.jpg

related...

• Advanced Member

18 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Yes.
This occurred because you made a selection.
When tool Smart Extrude is active,  the Selection option image.png

is enable only if no selection faces or edges.

I already set hot key for deselect all (clear selection) as shift + A, (or ctrl +D already set )  but most of user may think, we can keep visible these selection command on Top . even though I already select some faces if you can.  All extrude command need to set selection. so keep those selection icons  and mix use hot keys,  make thing simple. 

if deselect all need to be accessed by hot keys only,  I may request, add  option in Tool Options panell. (clear selection)  if user understand how it work they may only use hot keys, but we may serch function in option panell first. (because you do not show these selection icon, when we have selection with smart extrude.

And  I suppose why we can not mix use shift + click to select multiple faces, you set it to set pivot (with Snap pivot active), and rotate selected for smart extrude tool by shift and drug. 

Though I can still use border selection, but it not work good to select some separate parts mesh, (so we use shift + click for addictive selection with tiny radius brush , often for complex mesh)  Could you offer way , we can still use shift + click to select mesh addictive, and add deselect all faces in tool option, this tool should be more new user friendly. (eg change hot keys for set snap point and rotate (not use shift key) as option. 

(edit) what I recommend is,,, 

if I use shift + left click  with smart extrude tool, it will add selection 

if I use ctrl + left click with smart extrude tool, it will remove slection

if I  left click with Pivot snap activate, it will set pivot point  (at current it already work so)

may work for most of case. (and think it is more user friendly)

(actually until I check your video, and read again Carosan questions then try, I could not manageit as smart.. though once understand why some key combination not work as intended,  I can manage it well, but 

At same time, I think this tool is actually easy free  powerful smart extrude tool. (if user clear know how it work) thanks. :rofl:

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

And I understand 3d coat modeling tool will keep improving, (so at current start stage to develop)

then I hope we will have option to exturde individual faces with each pivot not so far future.

If I do like this image extrude, inset, scale for multi selected faces,  in 3d coat, it may take more process I suppose. the reason is 3d coat seems not offer to Extrude individual faces (or inset) , scale, transform, by each individual selected faces pivot. 

(aka  transform with individual origins /  Extrude/ Inset individual faces by each pivot ,  with multi selection)

localpivot.thumb.JPG.733841ebae7e1b23ca88992d6b743c46.JPG

Though I do not know if I simply miss the option.. (eg  multi scale separate faces at same time with each face pivot (local) or inset like this,  if 3d coat offer tool arleady, hope to know. (it is not matter about inset/outset,, eg just extrude then scale for each local pivot may do same thing)

localpivotno.thumb.JPG.24c1c214149c0dcd60e972be356053bd.JPG

300050154_individualinset.thumb.JPG.3c6e6a2611e421432482c6cd2286a642.JPG

Or (I could find maybe this tool is for the purpose) I need to change tool as scale tool then input as value only?

scaletool.thumb.JPG.240dadf3ff57c3da8342ea246e0aabb9.JPG

Edited by tokikake
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

On linux. The HDRI window does not show all the hdri choices and cannot scroll in the window. V .....31

HDRI_Window_error.png

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thank you, we are thinking about it.

Please make a video about what is shown in the 1st and 3rd pictures

Thanks we need to scale each selected faces along with each face normal cordinate,  then extrude each face normal or  inset as  individual selected faces. Then  at current with 3d coat I do not find good way when 2 faces are connected by one edge, but extrude/inset individually. 

At first, I hope to move (transform/scale)  along with each face normal  for multi selected faces. (or is there option to move along with normal / scale with each pivot of face) so maybe we need kind of transform option (move along with each local selection). 

localcordinateb.thumb.JPG.201c8a50ab1903d379cad6f6bcc4c105.JPG

And I if 3d coat will offer individual option for  extrude tools, it may be useful option (and many user may expect and easy use) I suppose. 3d coat offer individual option for inset already, but just extrude individually some connected faces, , we may not hope change tool as inset first, then move along with each normal one by one.  

inset-individual.thumb.JPG.f0f47bffca4fc9ca7a4619b197e0c40b.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
On 9/4/2021 at 4:11 AM, milhouzz said:

maybe its already there but a feature like this would be really amazing ^^

- Stencil
- sculpt layers (Sculpt mode)
- Pose Tool

It seems possible with the above tools.

Here is the video recording.

Edited by Yousung
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thanks yes I use inset tool first (with individual option) then could use smart extrude tools with change options. 

Then ideally , (though if I keep to use these 2 tools,  it seems not so difficult), I hope do same thing without use inset. (more directly simply extrude with each normal as individual.  but thanks I did not notice the Extrude verts option of smart extrude  actually did  what I hope.. (keep the scale and move along with normal  ^^

• Advanced Member
On 9/4/2021 at 4:33 AM, Carlosan said:

- RMB over a curve > Select attach tube or... command

Unlike Array of copies in Modeling Room

The Attatch Tube Array function in the Scult Room is
When the 'Put Fixed amount of objects' function is used, the size continues to change whenever the number of objects is changed.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, Baisop said:

I updated the graphics driver and the problem still persists. I recorded a short video of the problem. Left is main screen. WindowState.json is opened in Notepad++.

I tested older version of 3Dcoat (4.9.72) and have same problem for OpenGL version but DirectX version working normal on both screens. Interesting.

• Advanced Member

Well.. I had another go at the low poly tools after watching Gorbatovsky's video but sadly I still cant use it.

• -After seeing that I could double click to commit an extrude I had some hope but double clicking in most extrude tools just selects ALL the faces, then there is no shortcut button to unselect all faces. I am forced to go through a series of menu to do this simple task.
  • -Clicking faces in smart extrude just adds weird hemispheres to each face. I have no idea what is going on or why this should happen? I noticed after scrolling down the long tool menu that the 'add clusters' tool was also accidentally selected at the same time as the select tool AND extrude tool...so I can have 3 tools selected at the same time? Why on earth would I want that and if so why would that not be made much clearer??

After being a long time user of 3dCoat my hopes for this new version have been dashed. I was really looking forward to this since about this time last year and after a year of waiting it's still completely unusable for me. I've been trying and trying for months to get on with it but It just seems REALLY user un-friendly (the low poly modelling at least).

For now sadly, I think I'll have to give up on 3dCoat for building meshes, as even with constant updates, the core issues I'm having never get fixed and for me at least these are fundamental in the initial creation of a base mesh. Without these issues resolved I have no confidence in the program for more complicated tasks further down the line.

Hopefully the usability issues will get resolved one day, but for now I'm just tired of spending a couple of hours every week just opening the program, finding bugs, reporting bugs, feeling disappointed and never actually producing any art with it for myself.

Edited by Grimmy

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic