3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor
2 hours ago, sprayer said:

@Ctc_nick

Select Curves/Strokes tool in retopo room and try to draw freehand curve

Ahh. You are right! Then it is not working. If you pick the select tool before starting curve edit, it works fine. So It is the underlying tool which keeps the curve freehand tool from working.

Greetings

When I execute the command, it takes a long time to calculate and display the progress. When I switch to another task interface, the progress does not display percentage data in real time or the task icon displays green calculation progress. After switching back, normal progress will not be displayed. Only after the calculation is completed will it be normal. If you do not switch other task interfaces during calculation, this problem will not occur. This problem has not been solved for a long time. I hope this problem can be resolved as soon as possible.

Добрый день . А зачем убрали возможность упрощения свободной кривой , ведь это было очень удобно . При создании сетки данным инструментом кривой теперь  выходит куча не нужных точек . Выходит фарш точек при использовании кривой в смарт ретоп . 149769184_.thumb.jpg.2641e8c3b9ed3aa0157f4375af82e2b2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c8494465f7f988bd829b9f8f2bd2526d.jpg

10 minutes ago, Евгений said:

Добрый день . А зачем убрали возможность упрощения свободной кривой , ведь это было очень удобно . При создании сетки данным инструментом кривой теперь выходит куча не нужных точек . Выходит фарш точек при использовании кривой в смарт ретоп . 149769184_.thumb.jpg.2641e8c3b9ed3aa0157f4375af82e2b2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c8494465f7f988bd829b9f8f2bd2526d.jpg

Каждый раз заходить в редактор для упрощения , ну очень тяжко .!!! 

Безымянный.jpg

In modeling room, transform tool changes selection mode to rectangular (I can't really understand why, it is non-sense). So whenever I select faces with brush mode  selection tool (it works as drag-select in Maya) and I switch to transform tool, it changes selection mode to rectangular so polygon selection tool will also changes back to rectangular mode, so everytime I change back to select, I had to change selection mode too.

in hotkey creator mode backspace doesn't remove hotkey, and ESC doesn't exit hotkey mode.
these problems are in version 2021.51 and in the previous 1-2 versions too.

It is a nice change from earlier versions, that in Select tool the Auto selection mode is now a toggle button, so I can add different shortcuts to vertex, edge and face selection mode without changing to auto mode accidentally when I hit a hotkey second time. Thanks!

Edited by welcomerobots

• Advanced Member

Has anything changed about baking in the last week?
When baking AO and Curvature RGB, it appears to be partially broken.

It was fine before upgrading from version 52 to a higher version.
I have been downgraded to version 52 from a higher version, but the symptom is not fixed.

1762300106_bandicam2021-09-2920-38-56-629copy.thumb.jpg.1e7180e8aa5aecb3f0a3cf78b204895d.jpg

• Advanced Member

Experiencing odd behavior when importing a certain model into the 3D Coat paint room with 'initial subdivision' set active. The model/ the vertices look distorted, no idea what is going on (see screenshot). Any ideas? 

The model looks/ subdivides fine in other apps (Blender, Modo, Maya tested), there are no geometry errors (like geometry on top of each other ect) that I have found. No hard edges anywhere, weighted normals.

Something else I have noticed (unrelated): when baking occlusion, the occlusion baking options window remains visible, and blinks (appears - disappears - appears - disappears quickly) which looks quite annoying.

screenshot.jpg

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, Nite said:

Hi. Why carve tool, doesn't work like in this video? https://youtu.be/1nMt_aU9-5c?t=245

I tried all option, but in no use.

because now carve tool requires existing geometry under the brush for it to work (Geometry can be on another layer).

To achieve a similar thing as in the video you could use the 2d-paint tool.

because now carve tool requires existing geometry under the brush for it to work (Geometry can be on another layer).

Why don't add toggle for this purpose? It was very useful option. 2D tool its not the same. 2D tool less useful than old carve tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Al little announcement: There will be several days without daily builds because I am finisting very important and long-waiting task - make bevels controlled by curves. You will put curves where you need bevel over the surface. The incision shape is also controlled by curve (not just flat and round bevel - any shape on your taste). It is very complex algorithm, so need several days to concentrate and finish it.

Thank you!!

Hello, I had tested today the new cavity backing method and want to ask is here some way to bake some extra thin cavities. For example take a look at the screenshot, here is cavities backed from sculpted model but when I tried to get same effect in texturing room I had faild, no one opion can't give me controls to say "I need to draw on this thin lines, forget about the big volumes for a bit of time dear Coat". Actually small details on models just don't affect on cavity texture, and this is a huge problemin texturing process I think.
image.thumb.png.a2f84641714dfd31f2d9bfd10b782756.png

• Reputable Contributor
On 10/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, Arvart said:

Hello, I had tested today the new cavity backing method and want to ask is here some way to bake some extra thin cavities. For example take a look at the screenshot, here is cavities backed from sculpted model but when I tried to get same effect in texturing room I had faild, no one opion can't give me controls to say "I need to draw on this thin lines, forget about the big volumes for a bit of time dear Coat". Actually small details on models just don't affect on cavity texture, and this is a huge problemin texturing process I think.
image.thumb.png.a2f84641714dfd31f2d9bfd10b782756.png

can you share the 3DC file if possible through a pm and a link. I will look at it. I believe you are looking for something more or like the uploaded picture.

56.jpg

On 10/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, Carlosan said:

Check this tip please, hope it help

Hello, yes I checked this map already, the problem is that I have no way to bake this map with small details if they placed in big cavities. Just for example compare these two pictures below, on one you can see cavities baked from shader on sculpted model on other the best result which I can take whan use cavity baking on low-poly model. This is the very old problem, and I see that now we have "Cavity width" parametr in options, but it have no options to choose cavity width as on screenshot below, and this is so sad. Curvature feeling setup on sculpted model and on low-poly model is extremally different. And what make me sad much more that I remember times when curvature calculated on fly without baking, and that curvature worked better (by the way my wife still worked with textures at that version of Coat just because of this, as I remind that was 4.5... version, sounds wiered I know). As I understand now RGB curvaure keeps in differrent chanels different size of curvature details, so I think that chanel with smal details should keep much smaller details, because now artis almost have no reasons to tuch this parametr.

11.thumb.jpg.a1ab6724223d961574f4fa3caec46e35.jpg22.thumb.jpg.478bd3e3701e0421730dcf4f9354266b.jpg

Edited by Arvart

1 hour ago, digman said:

can you share the 3DC file if possible through a pm and a link. I will look at it. I believe you are looking for something more or like the uploaded picture.

56.jpg

Sure, take a look. Here is a .zip with .3b file  which keeps as sculpt as low poly model.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q09BLH8tervbxV1Uy-IeFtkKWE7toHWV/view?usp=sharing

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic