3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor

In this case I would in Preferences disable under Tools the RGB cavity. Use the regular cavity baking. 

The RGB cavity baking I am sure will improve over time. It works in a number of cases but not all. 

The picture is not shown for quality. You do have control over the cavity degrees. There is no cavity width here just degrees.

I played around adding a few layers and blending modes. 

Not saying the setting in the curvature panel is the best: I could work with it for testing. You can test different settings. Read the tool tips.

better2.jpg

curvature panel.jpg

better3.jpg

2 hours ago, digman said:

In this case I would in Preferences disable under Tools the RGB cavity. Use the regular cavity baking. 

The RGB cavity baking I am sure will improve over time. It works in a number of cases but not all. 

The picture is not shown for quality. You do have control over the cavity degrees. There is no cavity width here just degrees.

I played around adding a few layers and blending modes. 

Not saying the setting in the curvature panel is the best: I could work with it for testing. You can test different settings. Read the tool tips.

better2.jpg

curvature panel.jpg

better3.jpg

Yes, exactly. I mean that new RGB curvaure is cool feature, because now I can choose cavity size on fly, but this method need more range small and big scavity sizes to be really useful. Will wait the new updates of this new cool feature.

• Contributor

Minor "bug", more like inconvenience but I thought I would bring attention to it
When you attempt to adjust the special gizmo handle in pose mode, it will draw more pose/freeze area unless you set depth to 0%

On the topic of pose tool, I wanted to say that recent changes are fantastic and it really has become an awesome universal sculpt tool, thank you so much

Next one is a suggestion if that's ok: With pose tool we have the gizmoless transforms, scale x/y/z, move only x/y/z plane etc.
A very welcome facility would be the possibility to do screen space scale X and Y, relative to camera / view port direction
Tried make a figure here to show you

So it would be roughly the equivalent of using the gizmo → align to view → dragging on axes in horizontal, vertical directions... But it would be incredibly handy to be able to do something like the SHIFT + E gizmoless scale operation to scale horizontal, vertical depending on view axes
screenspacescale.thumb.jpg.909950c2d2c1df6517363e40cb5557c8.jpg

Thank you so much for recent updates and everything else!! And thanks for any consideration

One more little problem detected, now Coat can't remember if I turned off smooth stroke for the "Grow". Even I just choose any other tool and come back to the Grow smooth stroke turns on. And also other problem that each time when I open Coat "Use CUDA" options is turned off.

• Reputable Contributor

Correct the grow tool does not have a tool popup panel where you can turn steady stroke off. 

Possible bug
If I turn off steady stroke for the grow brush, switch to a brush that has steady stroke OFF and then go back to the Grow brush steady stroke is not selected.

If I turn OFF steady stroke for the grow brush, switch to a brush that has steady stroke ON and then go back to the Grow brush steady stroke is selected. 

Expected behavior as in the past, each brush remembers the prior settings. 

Workaround for now. Create a Grow brush preset and the steady stroke is remember for the preset.

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin

Is AngelScript's split method of the string data type implemented in 3D Coat 2021?

I keep on getting:

No matching signatures to string::split(const string) const`

My current code:

Vox v;
const string s = v.names();
array<string> lrs = s.split(',');

I think I'm misinterpreting the definition of this method, as it seems to be using AS object handle (@), which I'm not familiar with:

array<string>@ split(const string &in delimiter) const  

Could you please provide an example of how this method is supposed to be used?

21 hours ago, digman said:

Correct the grow tool does not have a tool popup panel where you can turn steady stroke off. 

Possible bug
If I turn off steady stroke for the grow brush, switch to a brush that has steady stroke OFF and then go back to the Grow brush steady stroke is not selected.

If I turn OFF steady stroke for the grow brush, switch to a brush that has steady stroke ON and then go back to the Grow brush steady stroke is selected. 

Expected behavior as in the past, each brush remembers the prior settings. 

Workaround for now. Create a Grow brush preset and the steady stroke is remember for the preset.

Exactly! And as I see Steady stroke turns on in any tool after you choose other tool with this opion turned on. So in work it feels like unexpected behavior of tools.

Edited by Arvart
  • Confused 1

• Advanced Member

Paint Room: when smoothing a paint layer with depth on it (press SHIFT), then release the SHIFT-button while still pressing down the pen (and moving it slightly without SHIFT pressed down), it sometimes, but not always, leaves an artifact in the depth channel.

Edited by wilson66

Does anyone know where I can find the bevel tool in 2021.58 ? 

I'm super excited to try out this new tool, and have been checking daily for a new Beta build ever since its announcement. The list of builds on page1 states that it should be present in the newest version, but I downloaded both the update, and then the complete installer, and I still cannot find it anywhere. 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:01 PM, Carlosan said:

If you mean Clay/Draw > Clay... yes it can be set to active as default setting on Tool Options Panels > Parameters

note: i founSteady.jpgd it working fine on v2021.57 - windows

Hello, yes, I found it too. Problem is that I can't change this checkbox on fly by hot key "Alt+S" as it was in 4.* versions before.

Also another problem about what I wrote early is that after each new update all my layout had droped on default. I realy tired to adjust it each time when I tested new version. I would be appreciated if you fix this issue.

Edited by Arvart

• Advanced Member

1297722593_Honeycam2021-10-0720-51-49.thumb.gif.f3e3acda9598afd30036cfa43738ebe2.gif

The more I use it, the more I like it.

In particular, I've been struggling with filling in a smooth curved surface between sharp angles recently, but this tool seems to solve it.

What I like the most is that you no longer have to repeat the size of the bevel until you get the result you want, just set the brush size and create the bevel.

Assigning a hotkey to 'Assign radius' in the Curve Settings and using it is fantastic.:yahoo:

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member

tried - still the same. One strange thing is while running  2021.58 if I goto the updates again it points to 2021.57 as the up to date version ( green ) while saying it 2021.58

Thanks for your hard work !

Will this settings be added making it more visible to bevel operations ?

- Snap to surface.

- Show Normals: Same control as RMB > Curve Settings > Show Normals

- Assign Radius: Assign the same (current) radius to all points of the curve.

- Tilt: -Curve Tilt Normals Degrees- This setting controls how the normals (visualized as green lines) twist around each control point. 

- Clear Tilt: Reset the tilt to its default value. (optional)

bevel.png

Bug:

If Bevel Radius Scale is small, vertex artifacts are created.

BevelRadius.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic