3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

15 hours ago, Elemeno said:

sculpt room , when i export scene or selected , all layers and groups get merges into a single object

In regular export each sculpt object is separate object in the output file.

If you mean simplified export with auto-uv it has option to export each sculpt object as separate file.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

In regular export each sculpt object is separate object in the output file.

If you mean simplified export with auto-uv it has option to export each sculpt object as separate file.

its ok ,its not a biggy , there are workarounds , inside each tool i just need to separate them as they are exported joined, so its not a serious issue

• Advanced Member

is it possible to hotkey brushes?

im so used to brush menu and then using the first letter of the words plus letter of syllable or first letter of second word

like clayfast = space+c+f
 or buildup= space+B+U

and inflate= space+I+F

i know it seems silly but i dont know which tools are adjust .. most of the time i just know which brush i need and the brush menu flashes ...

a universal naming of brushes too ... 

it would just help people coming from other software to help with workflow and usability 

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Sphere tool may not change depth of spheres. Speres remain spheres. If need to vary radius/depth independently, use 2d paint.

It's weird to draw this way when I change the profile quickly [shortcuts] and I see different sizes of the profile, not one size like it should be [ logically ]; I use the Sphere tool like a multitool with basic shapes on the board, to build fast everything I want, 2d tool its better for more complicated shapes/ profiles /alphas and have too many options, not good for quick sketching of basic shapes; "draw from first point' it's like 'stroke placement mode' in Grease pen/Blender3d, I like this a lot its faster than 'on plane' mode in 3dCoat and have Target options, It's could be a nice addition to the 3dcoat 'draw from first point' mode in the Sphere tool IMO.

ps.  Sorry previously I didn't mean the sphere tool was the problem, the problem is in the cylinder tool/size in the Sphere tool.image.png.40943862af14544d9edfb6b55cdd714c.png

Edited by tcwik

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Baking 16k AO or cavity map crashes 3d coat.  Exit instantly as opening the baking window

my machine: Kubuntu, RTX 4090, 64 GB memory

Edited by animk

4 hours ago, animk said:

Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Baking 16k AO or cavity map crashes 3d coat.  Exit instantly as opening the baking window

my machine: Kubuntu, RTX 4090, 64 GB memory

Would you mind sending me the prpject file? Unable to recreate issue on my end. 20.04.6 Pop_OS, 3090

• Contributor

Hi! Thank you for the flat subdivision in PPP!!

I have a very special topic for Applink. For people who use OCIO ACES configuration in Blender.  Applink tries to create Non-Color mode Nodes which Blender wont find.

We only have this types:

Non-color = "Utility-Raw" / "role-Data"
HRDI/EXR  = "Utility - Linear - sRGB" 
Textures  = "Input - Generic - sRGB - Texture" / "role_matte_paint"

I was not able to fix that in the json file of Applink. Maybe you can add a "small" fix for compatibility?  

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
Posted (edited)
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Ctc_nick was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

For the Imported Blender Cube.

Now pre-subdivided by previous import.

In 0.16 In Paint Room the NormalMap get a strange banding.

This Happens with Brush and Airbrush. Pen Tool is OK.

image.thumb.png.1554dcdb7cfee55eece38c4b54734d23.png

Hard to explain. Please import in Paint Room for PPP and paint on this Box. no subdivision.

test.fbx

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 8:26 PM, EdanP said:

Would you mind sending me the prpject file? Unable to recreate issue on my end. 20.04.6 Pop_OS, 3090

It's just a generic_bust_male model from 3d coat, autoretopo it and bake 16k ppp.  Then bake either AO or cavity.  It exits as soon as open the bake option window.  I tried it on linux mint it still crashed.
It shows in the terminal
malloc(): unaligned tcache chunk detected
"Aborted (core dumped)
image.png.1f73fdd5583c7ff1bd6620c6df949e2a.png

Edited by animk

22 hours ago, animk said:

It's just a generic_bust_male model from 3d coat, autoretopo it and bake 16k ppp.  Then bake either AO or cavity.  It exists as soon as open the bake option window.  I tried it on linux mint it still crashed.
It shows in the terminal
malloc(): unaligned tcache chunk detected
"Aborted (core dumped)
image.png.1f73fdd5583c7ff1bd6620c6df949e2a.png

Interestingly, I also crash but get a different error:

malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted

What's funny is that this doesn't happen with any other specified texture resolution. I tried on my radeon card (mesa) and nvidia card and received crashes in both instances . It appears to be an issue with the code.

I also tried baking 16k occlusion on the sample robot, which also resulted in a crash. Seems no matter what you cannot bake 16k occlusion/cavity maps.

I did find somewhat of a workaround (more like a temporary bandaid) which is to set the texture resolution to 8k, bake whatever maps you need, and then switch back to 16k and continue texturing albedo etc.

I'm going to forward these posts to Sergii Kryzhanovskyi through email.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EdanP said:

Interestingly, I also crash but get a different error:

malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted

What's funny is that this doesn't happen with any other specified texture resolution. I tried on my radeon card (mesa) and nvidia card and received crashes in both instances . It appears to be an issue with the code.

I also tried baking 16k occlusion on the sample robot, which also resulted in a crash. Seems no matter what you cannot bake 16k occlusion/cavity maps.

I did find somewhat of a workaround (more like a temporary bandaid) which is to set the texture resolution to 8k, bake whatever maps you need, and then switch back to 16k and continue texturing albedo etc.

I'm going to forward these posts to Sergii Kryzhanovskyi through email.

Might need to check if windows version has the same issue.  I tried the windows version in lutris it also crashes when performing such tasks (not tested on the real windows 10 or 11)

Edited by animk
  • Like 2

BUG report. If I use "undo" while drawing borders with vox layer tool new layer will be empty and drawed borders will be cleared in origin layer. Bug working in 100% cases in different scenes (even in new). Also the bug working only at the voxel mode, at surface everything is fine.

Edited by Arvart
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

can you remove modelling room and retopo room and have all meshes inside sculpt room , and have modelling and retopology tools as a separate tool , with that the right click would be a pie menu with the selection type at the top like vertex,edge,face then below would be the tool you wish to use , the right side could have the current right click menu where you can relax,clear points etc and left side left clear for quickmenus maybe?

the mesh could be saved as P for polygroups ... and once youve modelled something you can then voxelize it or go into surface mode where SUBD would work nicely :D

having these in one room just saves the hassle and tidies up and simplifies things   

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

can you remove modelling room and retopo room and have all meshes inside sculpt room , and have modelling and retopology tools as a separate tool , with that the right click would be a pie menu with the selection type at the top like vertex,edge,face then below would be the tool you wish to use , the right side could have the current right click menu where you can relax,clear points etc and left side left clear for quickmenus maybe?

the mesh could be saved as P for polygroups ... and once youve modelled something you can then voxelize it or go into surface mode where SUBD would work nicely :D

having these in one room just saves the hassle and tidies up and simplifies things   

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of the 4 different types of meshes. Problem is how can one organize the UI in a way where the tools are not scattered all over the place. Just looking in the modeling room, the left tool panel is filled to the brim. Combining that with sculpt tools may be problematic.

Maybe keep the separate rooms, but make it easier to manipulate meshes between rooms?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, EdanP said:

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of the 4 different types of meshes. Problem is how can one organize the UI in a way where the tools are not scattered all over the place. Just looking in the modeling room, the left tool panel is filled to the brim. Combining that with sculpt tools may be problematic.

Maybe keep the separate rooms, but make it easier to manipulate meshes between rooms?

it would use the exact same method used by zbrush , zmodeller has hundreds of tools in their right click menu, it would jsut save constantly moving from one room to another , for ease of use for new people or people who like to work in one room ...