3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 development thread

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@Arvart Hi 

Yes, this bug was solved on version 84 and above, please test it. Tkx

3DCoat-2021-84 

Sat Jan 1 23:25:41 2022 +0200

- Fixed problem when voxel object modified as surface and you switch to another volume or merge another object into the modified one.

Edit: nevermind.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member

No Polys draw + Crashes :-

2021.88 In the Modelling Room, make sure Ortho view is on.

1. Choose Points to Polys.

2. Select >On Plane and choose an axis X,Y,Z from the on plane dialogue and a corresponding view (Left, Top, Front)

3. Place 4 Points and try to create a poly from the points.

It does not want to make the polygon. I tried different views and axis and only managed to draw 1 polygon. I had a total of 4 crashes before I managed to record this video.

Anyone else confirm?

Edited by insignet

• Advanced Member

@Carlosan - yes you are right. Any points dropped while the 'on plane' option is checked seemed to get ignored. By turning it off and dropping the points it works as expected. I would have thought though that this is a bug? The on plane feature is really useful? The on plane UI element ( the red square ) should IMO change colour based on the axis you are selecting from the dialogue. Then you get that visual feedback of which plane you are dropping the points. The points ( while the on plane option is checked ) should be recognised as valid points to generate a polygon. You should not have to turn off 'on plane' for this to work... these are additional clicks... btw... I'm trying to look at this from a beginner point of view.

Anyway - thanks for pointing that out :)

Edited by insignet
  • Confused 1

• Contributor

I am showing this issue with the Extruder tool but really it exists to some degree in many other tools :

When you hold CTRL and draw a stroke with a lot of pressure, 3D coat will cut a disc all around the alpha.

I am using the third default alpha.

When digging into a plane it won't do this, because this flat disc seems to be just behind the surface.
It will happen when there are "walls" around the stroke. In short, when you are repeatedly digging into a volume.

It is very annoying and disrupting.

------

Now there is another problem with high pressure. when the pressure is very strong, a stroke will produce blocky, pixelated voxels.
Also very annoying and disruptive.
This happens both holding CTRL and not holding it.
here is with Extruder, holding CTRL :

image.thumb.png.467043e1d6f25576a161b9f6b2b9666b.png

and here with Grow tool without holding CTRL :

image.thumb.png.80da074d8adead2d78d92aa861974236.png

• Thanks 1

I'm not really too familiar with the absolute brush but it acts weird when the brush size is small?? 

Also 3DCoat started to use more GPU when sculpting. Is that normal or did I click something by mistake?

3dcb01.jpg

Edited by Koray

• Contributor
3 minutes ago, Koray said:

Also 3DCoat started to use more GPU when sculpting. Is that normal or did I click something by mistake?

you can see at bottom left of screen that you are over 500 FPS.
go to preferences > viewport > tick : vertical synchronization.

image.png.d5a31c46e6fc27ace85bba9b068ff2de.png

• Thanks 1

I noticed that gizmoless transforms also work in the Tweak room now, don't know since when just wanted to say thanks for providing that room with some love too:thank_you:

There's something about the Tweak room, for quad basemeshes it just works very reliable, smooth and fast for what it is. I hope it won't be deprecated/you give up on it!

While on the topic, an ability to ghost volumes in Tweak room would be great, but it's understandable if  you don't want to divide focus on something like that now.

As I can't seem to post a topic in the Feature Requests section, I hope you won't mind me posting it here?

I would LOVE to see an infinite option for the Move tool, causing you to use the Move tool with infinite influence in the screen depth direction. This is great for manipulating object silhouettes, among other uses.

Many thanks in advance for considering this.

• Contributor

About Move tool.

ever since I saw what topological move does, I have been wondering if it would be possible to do something that in my view would be even more awesome and useful :
what if move tool ignored areas that are connected but distant surface-wise.
for example you grab a leg. the other leg is within area of the brush, but it gets ignored because it is on the other side of the volume, so to speak. (connected via the hips).

Usually you would do this with
pose tool, which would allow for rotation, of course, but, what if you just want to move something quickly. it is a bit cumbersome to have to do a pose selection for something simple.

-----

Speaking of pose tool, it would be really useful to get the old "pick pivot" button back for pose tool and Transform tool. This is greatly missed.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 2

Hi Andrew, thank you for looking into the issue of strange geometry when using symmetry with Autopo. I've done a bunch more testing of Autopo and I've noticed a few things.

If you start a new voxel sculpt, choose the large sphere, then use Autopo with a 400 poly count (without turning on symmetry) - there will be duplicate vertices over the mesh that line up with the vertices along all three axes. 

sphere_with_issues_on_all_three_axis.thumb.jpg.39274223b2b6cfe0c2b79657548e8506.jpg

If I create a sphere and use symmetry, then the duplicate vertices are only along the axis of symmetry. If I create a sphere and use symmetry along two axes (x,z) then there will be duplicates along both axes.

I also discovered that if you use the Select tool in the Retopo room, pick vertices then click the delete this layer in the Poly Groups window it will crash 3D Coat. This doesn't happen if you select edges or faces.

will_crash_3DC_screenshot.thumb.jpg.11b8e6bd7afaeb2442fd4ca220fef6b5.jpg

autopo_settings.jpg

• Thanks 1

With this rate of upgrades Andrew will reach version 2022.0 next week or so probably :D

My sincere question is; are we going to have to pay for upgrading to 3DCoat 2022?

(You all probably can guess why I'm asking :) )

Edited by Koray
version mistake :D

7 hours ago, Koray said:

With this rate of upgrades Andrew will reach version 2022.0 next week or so probably :D

My sincere question is; are we going to have to pay for upgrading to 3DCoat 2022?

(You all probably can guess why I'm asking :) )

22 is just new number. No additional fees when number changes 21->22.

• Like 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, sprayer said:

It should be problem in something else, i used fill tool today and it fill very small holes, but i have big vox resolution(8x)

yes, problem appears when there are few voxels.
I tried to show in screenshot this is with template head from splash screen. don't increase resolution.
cut a thin slice and then make holes in it, then try to fill : you can't, with fill tool.

here is wireframe

image.thumb.png.3745854839728ce248bbc6a93f98a108.png

Edited by Silas Merlin

Hello, I would like to give some feedback on a behavior which is present with bend volume tool in sculpt room

1. if you're working on several curves with bend volume modifier attached to them, and each a separate object
2. Modifying any one curve, and simply performing undo (intended to undo manipulation of curve 1 step) 
3. It will result like in this video: all curves now get models replaced by last occurrence of bent model instead of what they had 

To me, this is quite undesirable, I have a need for bending multiple models simultaneously, and undo produces this, which I then have to fix pr curve by editing bend modifier and re-selecting the objects again

I wonder if it would be possible we can get new default behavior: always keep the original object OR something like a "lock" ? to prevent the bent models changing undesirably

thank you for any consideration!

• Thanks 1

Using the pose tool, sometimes the gizmo flickers and looks odd, nothing major just a display issue maybe. Anyone know if the pose tool respects topology like zbrush masking does? Trying to isolate the a finger to bend and using the line mode it selects everything. Only way is to paint the finger and that takes more time and sometimes you miss a bit of the mesh and it creates artifacts.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, captainbuckfish said:

Using the pose tool, sometimes the gizmo flickers and looks odd, nothing major just a display issue maybe. Anyone know if the pose tool respects topology like zbrush masking does? Trying to isolate the a finger to bend and using the line mode it selects everything. Only way is to paint the finger and that takes more time and sometimes you miss a bit of the mesh and it creates artifacts.

you can draw with lasso (E key to choose) like in zbrush mask. But in pose tool i also notice some bug with deselection, sometimes clear selection button is not working, you should draw again and then it start to work