3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Looks really terrible, but on all my tests it works as expected. Maybe you enabled some unusual options like "Sharp shape" or "Paint with dabs". Try mouse and pen. Is there difference?

No, this option is not being used.
In addition to the high Steady Stroke, the lower the Brush Size, the more prominent it seems.

Edited by Yousung

• Advanced Member

Looks like I've found a temporary workaround.

When I changed from 'Connective Picking' to 'Volume Based', the symptom disappeared.
I don't know what the difference between the two is, but it's been resolved.
I'll have to look into the documentation for that option.

In addition, the symptoms are different depending on the brush alpha.
There are things that move regardless of Steady Stroke.
A typical example is 'chain_227B'.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Yousung said:

In addition, the symptoms are different depending on the brush alpha.
There are things that move regardless of Steady Stroke.
A typical example is 'chain_227B'.

I suppose, if it is caused each brush default setting behavor. Random rotate or jitter etc

Did you check Brush option panels setting?

eg the chain is use Paint with Dabs otpion (activated) as default.

• Advanced Member

924276162_2021-07-25053202.thumb.jpg.1f22d55ac03d2e167d10bcca9e713fa1.jpg
Sorry for continuing to write.

I'm confused. In the 'Paint UV Mapped Mesh' example sample, I noticed that there are some that do and some don't.
(Addition: After more testing, other samples also have problems, but not as much as the checked sample.)

Please test it with the sample checked in the image.
This is the sample that most reveals the problem.

Test
Steady Stroke : 40
Brush Radius 0.1
Connective Picking

And a new finding seems to be affected by camera distance.
Even with the same setting, the problem gets worse as the distance of the camera increases.

To summarize the problems we found...
- Steady Stroke with high numerical value (eg 40)
- Brush Radius with a small numerical value (eg 0.01)
- Connective Picking (Volume Based is fine)
- As the distance between the object and the camera increases.

The problem gets worse.

24.07.21 2021.11

- Materials/stencils control panel cleaned up, looks better, more compact, icon-based. I hope you like the new design. Also, stencils keep scale and states when you switch between them. But CTRL-click acts as before - then settings from the previous stencil will migrate to the newly selected. Pay attention to "Uniformness" and "Extract Bump" in extended settings.

- Splines/models/joints included in the activity bar.

- Fixed possible crash during the sculpting.

- Voxel brush engine quality of stroke improved.

- Probably fixed the stroke issue in PPP mode.

- Fixed old voxel brushes - Airbrush/Buildup

• Thanks 3

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

24.07.21 2021.11

- Materials/stencils control panel cleaned up, looks better, more compact, icon-based. I hope you like the new design. Also, stencils keep scale and states when you switch between them. But CTRL-click acts as before - then settings from the previous stencil will migrate to the newly selected. Pay attention to "Uniformness" and "Extract Bump" in extended settings.

So far the only way to save a stencil position for later (after saving an reopening) is to save it in a preset.
presets are a mess imho and too difficult to use for that purpose (how you you find your stencil in a huge list of presets?)
I think there was another way before, or was it always presets ? because the other thing I remember is that when you did this, it created a huge file in the document folder for each stencil.

Anyway, I think it would be good to be able to bring back a stencil in a given position, because they work well with the projector feature.
Say you set projector from stencil and sculpt with that.
When you save and reopen the file, all you have left is the projection.
The stencil is useful in addition to the projector because you can sculpt detail directly with the stencil. (once you have found the shape by sculpting, you set the voxel resolution higher and then use the rectangle stroke mode with for example the airbrush to add surface detail to the basic shape).

there are things you can do to help restore the stencil position of course, but it is never 100% precise because the scaling tool in the stencil "control panel" is/was not that precise.

one solution that I think could be convenient (ask others) would be to store the stencil in saved view (CTRL+up)

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

24.07.21 2021.11

Here is a problem that persists since 4.9 : in "from camera", the stencil position changes relative to the 3d scene when you change rooms 
(AND within a room when you change the style of the left tool bar).

52 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

So far the only way to save a stencil position for later (after saving an reopening) is to save it in a preset.
presets are a mess imho and too difficult to use for that purpose (how you you find your stencil in a huge list of presets?)
I think there was another way before, or was it always presets ? because the other thing I remember is that when you did this, it created a huge file in the document folder for each stencil.

Anyway, I think it would be good to be able to bring back a stencil in a given position, because they work well with the projector feature.
Say you set projector from stencil and sculpt with that.
When you save and reopen the file, all you have left is the projection.
The stencil is useful in addition to the projector because you can sculpt detail directly with the stencil. (once you have found the shape by sculpting, you set the voxel resolution higher and then use the rectangle stroke mode with for example the airbrush to add surface detail to the basic shape).

there are things you can do to help restore the stencil position of course, but it is never 100% precise because the scaling tool in the stencil "control panel" is/was not that precise.

one solution that I think could be convenient (ask others) would be to store the stencil in saved view (CTRL+up)

I think it would be nice to store the stencil and its settings in view preset (ctrl+up) if the stencil is opened while saving the view.
also would be nice to save the view in a stencil preset file 

it can be an option in settings or just a small dialog window asking every time you saving stencil or view 

18 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Several rules:

1) Even if the tool appears in the script several times it will appear only the first time.

2) If you hide the tool via "Customize", it will be hidden everywhere in the tool panel in this room.

So the way is not to hide, but edit the script of the room manually from the room settings and reorder as you wish.

Thanks for the tips.

I had already started trying to learn how to edit the scripts. I'm not a coder however so it's slow going, but perhaps I'll figure it out eventually.

• Advanced Member
34 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Not understood what do you mean. Are there any changes in 11 related to this issue?

Sorry if the translation is weird....:(

What I'm talking about is this.▼

8 hours ago, Yousung said:

Test
Steady Stroke : 40
Brush Radius 0.1
Connective Picking

And a new finding seems to be affected by camera distance.
Even with the same setting, the problem gets worse as the distance of the camera increases.

To summarize the problems we found...
- Steady Stroke with high numerical value (eg 40)
- Brush Radius with a small numerical value (eg 0.01)
- Connective Picking (Volume Based is fine)
- As the distance between the object and the camera increases.

The problem gets worse.

Steady Stroke's behavior depends on the distance of the camera.

same issue in V11

I didn't touch any settings and used the default example sample and default brush settings.

Edited by Yousung

6 minutes ago, Yousung said:

Sorry if the translation is weird....:(

What I'm talking about is this.▼

Steady Stroke's behavior depends on the distance of the camera.

same issue in V11

I didn't touch any settings and used the default example sample and default brush settings.

Seems I was able to get it. But not sure, so, please check. What FOV have you set? Setting FOV below 30 is generally problematic. Use orthography in case of low FOv-s.

• Advanced Member

I wake up. Uninstall prev version, install new, test a bit. Find bugs. Post here. 

Wasted time. Cant make anything. Cant learn other parts of 3d coat because how will I know if something is a bug or supposed to be.

Very Upsetting for me:

Voxel Mode:

-  Weird stuff happens: Voxhide a part of an object, invert hidden, sculpt on it a little, then use cutoff tool on the sculpted part. Cutoff reverts area close to your cut back to a history state like you havent sculpted before cutting. Tested again. Similar result.

-  Another problem: *Vox hide a part, invert hidden, sculp on it. Then unhide all and you'll not have what you'd expect.

Then you all get upset when we mention other software. Small team, working hard 18hrs a day, changed the engine for the better bla bla... :(

Edited by Koray
edit

9 minutes ago, Koray said:

I wake up. Uninstall prev version, install new, test a bit. Find bugs. Post here. 

Wasted time. Cant make anything. Cant learn other parts of 3d coat because how will I know if something is a bug or supposed to be.

Very Upsetting for me:

Voxel Mode:

-  Weird stuff happens: Voxhide a part of an object, invert hidden, sculpt on it a little, then use cutoff tool on the sculpted part. Cutoff reverts area close to your cut back to a history state like you havent sculpted before cutting. Tested again. Similar result.

-  Another problem: *Vox hide a part, invert hidden, sculp on it. Then unhide all and you'll not have what you'd expect.

Then you all get upset when we mention other software. Small team, working hard 18hrs a day, changed the engine for the better bla bla... :(

Ok, reproduced it, will fix it in build 12. There is a workaround. It happens if you use surface tools and then go to cutoff or unhide. Switch to any native voxel brush and then go to cutoff/unhide. But there is the part that is impossible to fix - if you use surface tools over voxels, voxelize, and then use "unhide all" then the small, but the visible border between hidden and visible parts is unavoidable because voxels structure was changed essentially.

When using the tablet, you cannot make continuous or separate strokes for a very short time.
In the video you can see how one stroke works but the next one does not work, and the next one does (because some time has passed)
If you make a stroke and wait a second or two, it works again.
This issue was in previous versions like 2021.6 (pc / mac)
The latest versions that I have been able to test on pc is corrected but continues on Mac.

Thanks for your help.

13 minutes ago, TomasAceytuno said:

When using the tablet, you cannot make continuous or separate strokes for a very short time.
In the video you can see how one stroke works but the next one does not work, and the next one does (because some time has passed)
If you make a stroke and wait a second or two, it works again.
This issue was in previous versions like 2021.6 (pc / mac)
The latest versions that I have been able to test on pc is corrected but continues on Mac.

Thanks for your help.

So, on 11 for PC it works correctly? But 09 does not even on PC? There was an essential fix for voxel brushes in 11.

57 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

So, on 11 for PC it works correctly? But 09 does not even on PC? There was an essential fix for voxel brushes in 11.

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I have tried to reproduce it on PC and in previous versions (from 06 up)it already worked perfectly on PC. Maybe I did not test it carefully on pc because it is not my first system.

It may be somewhat isolated in the Mac version. or in this macOS (Catalina 10.15.7)

Thx.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Ok, reproduced it, will fix it in build 12. There is a workaround. It happens if you use surface tools and then go to cutoff or unhide. Switch to any native voxel brush and then go to cutoff/unhide. But there is the part that is impossible to fix - if you use surface tools over voxels, voxelize, and then use "unhide all" then the small, but the visible border between hidden and visible parts is unavoidable because voxels structure was changed essentially.

How about this :
When there is hidden geometry on a vox layer, disable all surface tools (including Move if "voxelize immediately" is unticked)

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic