3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
On 8/6/2021 at 4:38 AM, Silas Merlin said:

sorry no it does not work for me, I did not think it through, all I meant was that 3d-Coat would not let you leave the retopo room without adding uv's, and I thought you were complaining about the possibilitiy of ending up in the paint room without, which is impossible, that is all.

As for uv's like these, 3d-Coat does have them, but they are well hidden, and, granted, not in a primitive.

this won't help you, but just so you know
In the video, please note that nothing seems to happen when I click ok to import : that is because upon import in the paint room, the object is invisible, but it is there, trust me :)
you can do the same thing for the cylinder.

EDIT :
It might be possible to drag the resulting object into the retopo models panel to create the primitives you want with this kind of uv's.
However, 3d-Coat "SL objects" are very fragile, at least they were in 4.9
They break easily probably because of the odd unwrapping that 3d-Coat is not used to working with. you might lose triangles at the poles of the sphere for example.

Ah do not mind , you not say wrong anything.  as you said I understand what you means...

I usually model in blender ^^; (so as basic I always forget I need to set UV for those simple primitives..then sometimes feel annoying why it simply come with default UV about base auto generate primitives.. 3d coat offer many options for 3d 2d primitives, so if it come clean default UV,, I really do not think about UV when I add them.. 

yes I think I can add those as model with UV for 3d coat and can make library for the purpose (though I still not try many modeling with 3d coat)  but we already have adjustable 3d primitives tool in 3d coat (and it is powerful) . so just request if it auto come with UV only about auto generate primitives. 

(and for modeling we may mainly use retopo and modeling room, so bake is final step for me,,,, but I often check UV when I modeling (maybe I change my thinking way for 3d coat..but for me I usually do UV , do model , at same time..so everytime think about 2 room is somehow annoying just to check UV for prim.. but I like 3d coat always. . 

20 minutes ago, tokikake said:

Ah do not mind , you not say wrong anything.  as you said I understand what you means...

I usually model in blender ^^; (so as basic I always forget I need to set UV for those simple primitives..then sometimes feel annoying why it simply come with default UV about base auto generate primitives.. 3d coat offer many options for 3d 2d primitives, so if it come clean default UV,, I really do not think about UV when I add them.. 

yes I think I can add those as model with UV for 3d coat and can make library for the purpose (though I still not try many modeling with 3d coat)  but we already have adjustable 3d primitives tool in 3d coat (and it is powerful) . so just request if it auto come with UV only about auto generate primitives. 

(and for modeling we may mainly use retopo and modeling room, so bake is final step for me,,,, but I often check UV when I modeling (maybe I change my thinking way for 3d coat..but for me I usually do UV , do model , at same time..so everytime think about 2 room is somehow annoying just to check UV for prim.. but I like 3d coat always. . 

Generally, we plan to improve automapper so that it will produce really good maps completely automatically, so not sure that even seams will be required. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It should work. Ensure that hotkey is not lost.

'V' key did not work for me.

So I rebind the key, hit 'END' then 'V', saw a message said that key is already used for "Pick Color/Depth/Grossiness". Then I ignored that, pressed "Redefine" then it's back to work.

Something wrong for key binding.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It should work. Ensure that hotkey is not lost.

No, Colour picking does not work at all on vertex colour (it works fine on everything else, even outside 3d-Coat window, which is awesome).
In 4.9 colour picking on vertex colour started not working very well long ago (you had to press the hotkey repeatedly until it eventually worked)
Now, in 2021 it seems to not work at all on vertex colour, no matter how many times you press the hotkey.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Generally, we plan to improve automapper so that it will produce really good maps completely automatically, so not sure that even seams will be required. 

First of all, please note that I have not tested this in 2021 yet, but from your statement I am assuming that no work has been done on the unwrapping yet, so I think this is still valid based on 4.9 ?

Sometimes I use automapping for quick things, but I have found that this is possible only on triangular meshes.
3d-Coat doesn't seem to know how to automatically unwrap it's own quad meshes.
Also, 3d-Coat does not know how to unwrap bevels, whether they come from Blender or from 3d-Coat itself.

Also, when using it on triangular meshes, you have to be extemely careful when editing the result of automapping :
during the initial automapping, 3d-Coat is fairly capable of avoiding self intersecting islands on weird complex islands. However, subsequently the unwrapping method used by the tools in the left tool bar seems entirely different, and absolutely incapable of avoiding self intersection.
So, if you need to edit the result of automap, you have to be very careful not to use the unwrap button for example, as well as some methods of shuffling the islands. (pack UV2 does not break anything, some of the other methods do).
It is still possible to work with automapping and make it a bit better, you just have to be extremely careful. For example, Automap will often generate very elongated islands that make it impossible to use the 0-1 uv space in an efficient manner. To remedy that, you need to split those islands into several smaller islands, without unwrapping everything.
To achieve this, you need to mark new seams, then select the whole island and press one of the unwrapping methods like GU or ABF for example, in the left tool bar.
After that you can use pack UV2 to rearange the islands and better use the space.
Any use of the "wrong" tool during that process will result in self intersecting islands which are often difficult to detect until you start painting, forcing you to go back and lose work.

As for meshes generated with booleans in Blender, they are very problematic to use in 3d-Coat. I have seen problems arise over and over again on the discord.
One partial solution to this problem would be to automatically "remove ngons" at import of a mesh in 3d-Coat.
Furthermore, serious works would need to be done as to the unwrapping of bevels, which Blender users use profusely.
As it is at present, it is necessary to inspect every single bevel one by one to check for overlap.

Hope this helps and is not too unclear.
Thank you.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, sprayer said:

Drawing without picking layer. Auto pick off

And may i remind you this annoying glitch

I think the picking actions only work on ghosted layers...It should be clearer though.  I can see why you'd make the mistake.

Edit: Nevermind, I think you're talking about something else.

Edited by gbball

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, gbball said:

I think the picking actions only work on ghosted layers...It should be clearer though.  I can see why you'd make the mistake.

Edit: Nevermind, I think you're talking about something else.

Auto pick should pick layer and draw continuously, but i unticked it and it make strange artifact on object what shouldn't be draw. Ghosted option i clicked by mistake sorry)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Polish. On Linux.

1. The Frame option in the scene panel only frames selected layers and not the scene. The tooltip says that we can. If I want to frame the whole scene no matter which layer is selected I can't. It is only limited to selected layers and not the scene.

2. I'm not sure why the focus on brush option is in the scene view panel. If I have to move my cursor to that option in the panel it moves my brush location in the scene. It defeats the purpose.  The only way to effectively use it is to set a Hotkey. In the tooltip it might be best to mention setting the hotkey to use effectively.  

Screenshot.png

• Advanced Member

On linux. Experiencing significant issues with visibility options in Geometry. Open Generic Buts Male Angular from voxel start menu. Hide the Ears through the Toggle Visibily option or eye icon in Sculpt Tree --> Invert Hidden (Geometry Menu). Shows eyes and nose is the result. The result should be to just have the ears visible. Next use Unhide All from geometry menu. Appears to do nothing. Ears should now be visible but are not. Ears only become visible when clicking the eye in Sculpt Tree. There are some instances where I can't get one of the layers back at all. Almost like it is just deleted from the scene. I have to select the layer then Invert Hidden again to bring back the visibility of that layer.  This portion of 3D Coat has become recently unstable. It's like ther is a disconnect between the menu options and the Sculpt Tree. Can anyone else on linux confirm?

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member

2021.22... again, no strokes in WinTab and laggy strokes in TabletPC mode...

Move relly laggy and unpredictable, and "puppeteer string" when using this tool.

I don't get it, you release version that works(more or less) and another version becomes f***** up.

From now Windows builds are compiled and uploaded completely automatically on the daily basis, all changes committed during the day will be included in the build even if the version number will not change, so follow the change-list on the first page. If I feel that I made risky changes, I mark build as [beta]. If I feel that build is essentially stable and good, I put it into the community downloads. I will not always do the post about the new build at the end of the thread, all new builds will appear automatically, it happens around 23:00 - 23:30 (Kyiv time, GMT+3). Refresh the first page to see the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Advanced Member

i love how much work you're putting into this, as much as i love testing the features i have to wonder... are you getting enough time to just relax and enjoy your time... we all have patience so please take some time and relax more these builds don't have to be daily . 

as I say this... I've tried the modelling tools and I really think they could use some love... 

the gizmo i know we can use QWER to change the gizmos but the stand gizmo would be much better if the two axis scaling was removed... if I hover over it its so bright i cant even see what I'm doing

the actual tools need proper hotkeys that are modelling room specific to help our workflow , i know also we can set these up but i don't know every hotkey and replacing some could really ruin other workflows so a proper hotkey put in place just for modelling that don't work outside the modelling room

some tools like free movement counter other tools ... honestly don't think free movement is needed , along with all tools in this category they just mimic the other tools but allow it to do done away from the mesh itself.. 

selection tool :if we choose the circle brush tool for selection can we get some kind of circular selection to show our selection radius when selecting multiple vertices or edges... 

• Thanks 1

This is a progress report on the Joints tool.
I used Relocate 3DCoat's Data and moved the folder with the setting not to copy the data, and now the model in the Joints tool is displayed correctly.

After that, I overwrote the old data that I had backed up, and the Joints tool model was still displayed correctly.
It seems that the file created by this procedure may not have been added during the installation of the new version.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2 hours ago, kain_ty said:

This is a progress report on the Joints tool.
I used Relocate 3DCoat's Data and moved the folder with the setting not to copy the data, and now the model in the Joints tool is displayed correctly.

After that, I overwrote the old data that I had backed up, and the Joints tool model was still displayed correctly.
It seems that the file created by this procedure may not have been added during the installation of the new version.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Generally, it should not depend on, but...

Does the old documents path have Japanese characters?

Does the new data path have Japanese characters?

11 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

2021.22... again, no strokes in WinTab and laggy strokes in TabletPC mode...

Move relly laggy and unpredictable, and "puppeteer string" when using this tool.

I don't get it, you release version that works(more or less) and another version becomes f***** up.

So, there was a version when it worked better? What version if you remember? And what tools are you using? Voxel, surface, paint? What is "puppeteer string"?

12 hours ago, ebitz said:

On linux. Experiencing significant issues with visibility options in Geometry. Open Generic Buts Male Angular from voxel start menu. Hide the Ears through the Toggle Visibily option or eye icon in Sculpt Tree --> Invert Hidden (Geometry Menu). Shows eyes and nose is the result. The result should be to just have the ears visible. Next use Unhide All from geometry menu. Appears to do nothing. Ears should now be visible but are not. Ears only become visible when clicking the eye in Sculpt Tree. There are some instances where I can't get one of the layers back at all. Almost like it is just deleted from the scene. I have to select the layer then Invert Hidden again to bring back the visibility of that layer.  This portion of 3D Coat has become recently unstable. It's like ther is a disconnect between the menu options and the Sculpt Tree. Can anyone else on linux confirm?

Invert hidden related not to the eye icon but to the hidden parts of the volume that was hidden with the voxel Hide tool. That may be the reason why you can't get the volume back because you hidden it not with an eye icon (that means object visibility) but more essentially - volume becomes hidden as if you completely hidden it with hide tool. Of course, eye icon will not do it visible, only Invert hidden will get it back. So, I don't see the actual problem there but seems I need to update texts a bit.

When I make 3D splines from other 3D software, I can’t export .spline, but 3dc currently only supports loading .spline, .eps files are 2D software that can’t make 3D splines. May I have a solution for importing splines that support more formats?

image.thumb.png.09372b60acfb37b62ee2102524867818.png

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic