3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 8/13/2021 at 4:12 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Not understood. If you have cavity map it works correctly on my side in correspondence with the cavity in the cavity layer. 

Color and specular channels works ok, normal channel show terraces of depth instead of a soft grade.

Convex.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, nobackup said:

Can we get the ability to select multiple thing in the sculptree and parent them at the same time?  It is super frustrating to have to go through one by one, parenting things if you need to change your hierarchy.  You should just be able to shift select a bunch of layers, and then drag them to a new parent layer.  Currently you can shift select several layers, but when you go to parent them it only does the first layer.  Little usability things like this make all the difference! 

Use the icon on the far right, marked in red. This will take multiple selected layers put them into one group. It creates a layer, names it "Root Group" layer and places all the selected layers in that group. 

That is the method at this current time.

Of Course you cannot choose the parent layer as it creates it's own root group but this is a far cry from the old way of selecting each layer to move. It is workable.

group.PNG

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2021.30

Export bug;

When you export a model from the Paint Room using File---Export Objects and Textures 3DC automatically changes my setting under the Texture menu "Texture Export/Import Workflow" from Roughness/ metalness to Glossness\Metalness. 

As soon as the export panel is open, 3DC changes the workflow.

This is a error and can cause major problems for your texture exporting plus you think you are in a Roughnes\ metalness workflow but it has been changed without your knowledge.

Steps to reproduce. 

Chose the Roughness/Metalness workflow under the Textures menu  "Texture Export/Import Workflow"  Also select GGX Burley 12 under the the View menu.

File menu: -Export Objects and Textures.

The export panel opens.

Choose the panel without exporting anything or export a model with textures.  The workflow I set gets change in either case.

Check your  "Texture Export/Import Workflow" choice under the textures menu.

It has been changed to Glossness\Metalness without your knowledge.

3DC should not change my Texture / Export Workflow choice at anytime unless I change it. 

Side Note: I generally export for Blender or Unreal both use the Roughness / Metalness workflow. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More info. If your Choose Blender Cycles and deselect Export Constructor, you no longer have a separate Roughness texture map you can export only a Glossness map. I expect this is a result of 3DC changing my workflow from Roughness/ Metalness to Glossness/Metalness. 

P.S. I will watch my spelling better in the future.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, digman said:

Use the icon on the far right, marked in red. This will take multiple selected layers put them into one group. It creates a layer, names it "Root Group" layer and places all the selected layers in that group. 

That is the method at this current time.

Of Course you cannot choose the parent layer as it creates it's own root group but this is a far cry from the old way of selecting each layer to move. It is workable.

group.PNG

thanks I will try this!

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Tubor said:

Using Noise in the surface mode, the real-time preview and the confirmed result are too different. If the preview cannot be the same as the result, the real-time preview is worthless, and I hope it can be fixed. This is also a more important carving tool .

image.thumb.png.b77cdff4813e65af7110651b66cdbf35.pngimage.thumb.png.8ae3c7151b3eb49b50e9a6bf1c30353d.png

I tested on 2021.31. 

All appears to be working correctly on my end.

Real time preview on.   "Very important!  "  With real time preview on: Do not press enter on your keyboard. It will double apply the noise displacement. Just click off the tool.  

Not saying that you pressed Enter but being safe and for the sake of others. We are very use to in 3DC to pressing enter to apply a function.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want the noise on a sculpt layer:

Add a paint layer. Far  right side (Layers)  in the 3DC's interface. That way you at a later time can adjust, erase or magnify parts of the sculpt layer plus delete the entire sculpt layer if you wanted too. 

All sculpting on layer "0" is permanent. 

The above is also for others as well.

• Thanks 1

Paint room

Airbrush > strokes w/depth channel paint dots > bug regression fixed on :

3DCoat-2021-22 
Fri Aug 6 18:33:40 2021

- Paint/airbrush works completely correctly with fast strokes regarding opacity, gloss and metalness.

- Paint room/airbrush fixed

-------------------

2021-31

Airbrush depth.jpg

3 hours ago, digman said:

I tested on 2021.31. 

All appears to be working correctly on my end.

Real time preview on.   "Very important!  "  With real time preview on: Do not press enter on your keyboard. It will double apply the noise displacement. Just click off the tool.  

Not saying that you pressed Enter but being safe and for the sake of others. We are very use to in 3DC to pressing enter to apply a function.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want the noise on a sculpt layer:

Add a paint layer. Far  right side (Layers)  in the 3DC's interface. That way you at a later time can adjust, erase or magnify parts of the sculpt layer plus delete the entire sculpt layer if you wanted too. 

All sculpting on layer "0" is permanent. 

The above is also for others as well.

Thank you. Now it gets the correct result according to your method. It is my habit to press enter to confirm. For other tools, press enter. Whether noise can change Apply Realtime to real-time preview, you need to click apply or press Enter. In line with user habits, this is just my personal opinion, thank you again.

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Yousung said:

Has this feature been removed in 2021?
Can't find it. :o

It seems your current  (paint-room) layout make the left tool panel  short  to fit layout.  I can see small triangle on the bottom in your pic.

click triangle may scroll the menu, or  scroll mouse on the menu area show hidden tool .. But sometimes menu arrangement may corrupt.. about those case I change window as full often correct it.  (though I do not know your UI remain room to show all tool,  but it may happen with another panel arrangement)

I  confirm Topological symmetry tool remain for 2021 paint room

scroll.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, tokikake said:

scroll mouse on the menu area show hidden tool ..

Very strange...
Scrolling through the tool set there is nothing there
Even "Show All Tools in Section" doesn't seem to show up.

I noticed that there is 'Layers - Symmetrical Transform' in the top menu.
The function itself seems to exist.

Is there a way to restore the tool?

It seems there are people with the same problem as me.

• Advanced Member
Just now, Yousung said:

Very strange...
Scrolling through the tool set there is nothing there
Even "Show All Tools in Section" doesn't seem to show up.

I do not see issue with windows 2021 28 but as mentioned sometimes UI corrupt when I try to modify my layout (with many column)

if you change Full screen mode, it not solve issue,  you can reset from top menu>windows>Reset this page default, try please.  I think it seems UI layout problem. 

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, tokikake said:

you can reset from top menu>windows>Reset this page default, try please.

1739775922_PaintRoom-Topo-symm.jpg.7114a24aaf2dedb7f86056219893a5c2.jpg

Oh!!!
Thank you!
A tool appeared. :good:

I think something went wrong while customizing the workspace. :q
I need to set it up again

Edited by Yousung

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Yousung said:

1739775922_PaintRoom-Topo-symm.jpg.7114a24aaf2dedb7f86056219893a5c2.jpg

Oh!!!
Thank you!
A tool appeared. :good:

I think something went wrong while customizing the workspace. :q
I need to set it up again

I do not think you do something wrong because I still see corrupt UI issue.. (so it need to keep improved) eg,, suddenly 3d view disapear perfeclty, and it not return even though I change full >> I need to restore room ^^;  (hope these UI things more stable, when user customize layout often,, though I often see these UI broken issue for many aprication,  some framewrok often show these issue (customize UI >>  break some layout,  but not meniton which platform may cause issue ,,)

Yes I think I should save layout often when it work well... then can return safe I suppose.

Edited by tokikake
add comment

• Advanced Member

1. In paint mode, set layout as default and not  full screen mode (default layout),  drug some panel (eg brush or smart material)  under view window section.

2.  adjust window size with drug , or change to full screen mdoe

3.  I often see 3d coat corrupt layout and hide 3d view.  to return it, I need to remove panel which locate under the view window. 

• Advanced Member
On 8/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, Carlosan said:

- New Tool "Array of copies" added to Modeling Room

143845893_bandicam2021-08-1711-55-47-870.thumb.jpg.c2d005e31a2192af21274e96004b7f41.jpg

This problem also occurred when the 'Show Open Edge' tool was added.

For users who use custom WorkSpaces in the past
When a new tool is added, there is a problem that the added tool is not visible.

The same goes for the "Array of copies" tool, which has been added to the Modeling Room this time.
It will not be visible until you reset the workspace.
After resetting, there is a hassle of having to set it up again.

This will also make it difficult for non-forum users to notice new tools when using custom workspaces.

I think it needs improvement.

---

Add the old version working environment settings that were problematic.

2021_22 Workspace 210810.3dcpack

This file is a save file of the old workspace settings.
Topological Symmetry in Paint Room
and
Array of copies in Modeling Room
to disappear.

• Advanced Member
3DCoat-2021-31 

- OBJ importer takes the order of materials from MTL file (if exists), not from order of appearing in the OBJ file, so the order of materials kept unchanged during the export/import. It fixes the problem when you use "Bake->Update paint Mesh with retopo Mesh" and materials/uv-sets list becomes swizzled.

Thanks 3d coat team.   I could confirm ,Update paint mesh with retopo mesh with multi uv set,  now keep uv-sets and textures correctly :yes:

- Fixed problem when you can't change manually the value of the coordinate in the plane parameters dialog (3 points/4 points).(2021-30)
I could confirm, I can set 3 point with real value, like all x = 10 etc.. thanks.
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Paint room>Transform tool

1.  pick texture of layer 2 (which only include png decal) 

2.  set rectangle then it copy image of layer 2, then I can paste it to layer 3 with transform (scale, move, rotate)

3.  Now I hope to change current transform image (which copy from layer 2) to different texture of another layer. 

I can not find any option to change current transform image without import new psd. or load.  I understand I can load some new psd image, but  I can not find way to copy new layer texture for transform tool.  Is it usual about this tool?

(I seldom use transform tool of paint room,  but now I try to learn each tool of 2021 again, then did not remember clear,, if I could change current image or not without  change current scene)

====

Ah OK I read manual again. 3d coat tool tips of this tool did not teach me about Esc , which cancel = remove image  ^^;  I did not notice it.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin Issues with strokes are still there. WinTab, no strokes(it worked in 2021.18 and works in V4), WindowsInk/TabletPC, strokes/pressure are working, but with lag on very beginning of every stroke... well, whole ui have this lag, viewport or left side tool panel scrolling suffer from this issue. V-Sync is off.

• Reputable Contributor

The light baking with reflections is truly awesome, incredible...

However, I think that the fact that it doesn't bake reflections when in flat shading mode must be a bug ?

Also, it is almost impossible to stumble upon the tool by chance. You really have to know it is there and where to look. Which is really a shame.

EDIT :
Ah ! and I meant to ask, is there a way to add point lights and projectors as lights in the render room yet ?

EDIT :

There may be an issue with "separate paint objects". When baking reflections with many objects, some of them come out entirely black in the light baking layer.

Edited by Silas Merlin

4 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

@Andrew Shpagin Issues with strokes are still there. WinTab, no strokes(it worked in 2021.18 and works in V4), WindowsInk/TabletPC, strokes/pressure are working, but with lag on very beginning of every stroke... well, whole ui have this lag, viewport or left side tool panel scrolling suffer from this issue. V-Sync is off.

I agree with this question. The stroke delay of the hand-painted board is relatively large, and there is a clear sense of sluggishness. When I switch wintab, the mouse is obviously much smoother

Edited by Tubor

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2021.31

Possible lossless painting bug.

When you attach a smart material to a layer 3DC auto selects the top far left default alpha even if you have a different alpha selected. 

Now you have two alphas selected in the alpha panel highlighted in orange but it will use the default alpha. (Far top left alpha in the alpha panel)

Also It seems that you must use one of the top default alphas when have a attached smart material to a layer and are reducing the resolution and increasing again. 

I would choose a different alpha, decrease the resolution. 

Do some painting with the different alpha. Next switch back to a top default alpha, do some more painting and then increase the resolution, the resampling was not resampled correctly on the different alpha but the default alpha was correctly resampled.

This is shown in the first picture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also if I painted first using the default alpha at the high resolution then switched to a different alpha did some painting, reduced the resolution and increased it again the different alpha painting was resampled incorrectly but the top default alpha was correctly resampled.

This is shown in the second picture.

Either this is a bug or we just have to use a top default alpha.

Side Note. I did not test all different alphas so if some work and some do not work I could not tell you

Last picture shows the different alpha I used. Highlighted in orange.

incorrect2.png

bugmaybe.png

alpha.png

• Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic