3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member

Also, I can't get the Transform tool's 2-axis planar scale gizmos to become active for dragging when the layer is obscured by other layers:

image.png.585119d9f8ba1be57c638822d2bc871b.png

It seems to work when the top-most layer of the visible layers is active...

image.png.fd7a1c43db8e656a752f93d8df77c73b.png

... And when I orbit the scene orientation to view the bottom side of the gizmo, as if the 2-axis plane is only single-sided:

image.thumb.png.a591fbcd90cd5f2a3a2b9a6e12d87f3c.png

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Blob uses just radius as thickness

Thanks Andrew. Why can't I use RMB to change the radius when the Blob tool is active, like with other brushes?

10 hours ago, CometsoftNC said:

I just downloaded 2022.02 for the Mac.  Am running an M1 MacbookPro Max.  Every time I quit 3d Coat I get a popup "3dCoat has quit unexpectedly".  This happens even I if do nothing more than open and close the app.  

FWIW this did not happen with 2021.70

Thanks, reported to OSX programmer

• Advanced Member

I've quickly tested out the 2022-04 about the unpaintable pixels using the default robot provided with 3DCoat, I always take this guy as it leads to issues under his shoulder pad's vents (probably curious UVs there). I confirm it's back to what I have using the 4.8.44 (current build I use in production), if not even better =)
In fact, the 4.8.44 had another issue showing "apparently dead pixels", but when you turn off then on the painted layer, most of the time these pixels were no longer grey and the issues fades away. Now, the layer is correct once painted and that's nice =) Thank you guys for fixing this !

• Thanks 2

Hi guys, just a feedback here, I've just updated from "3DCoatTextura-2021-97" to "3DCoatTextura-2022-04" on PC/Windows, it all seems ok.

Before doing so I recommend making a backup of your current "UserPrefs" folder, mine was in a custom location (W:\3DCoatTextura-2021\UserPrefs) for later copy/paste.

The new version is not adding the year from now on it seems (so no need of the "-2022"). So old paths will eventually break, just keep that in mind and rename accordingly. Thank you for the amazing work!

Edited by E.V.
text

Добрый день . Версия 2022.4 . При переходе в режим сурфейс пропадает автовыбор слоев и скульптить становится не возможно , так как инструменты прыгают по слоям и не как это не отключить . Или вы перенесли данную возможность в другое меню ?  

3dcoat is messy. too many icons, too many duplicate similar functions, many functions found several times in menus. it makes the software cumbersome to use.
more than 80 icons on the left for voxels. it's too much. I am convinced that the software would benefit from it being better tidied up. you can customize, but when you want to reinstall a new version, the layout is added to the new page. and it must be said, there are a lot of icons that we almost used. the next functions, that will make even more icons and even more menus?

sometimes the translations in French are more incomprehensible than in English. often, I wonder if I will not use the software in English instead of French. we gain in ease of use when it's simplified better than when there are a ton of functions in all directions

I know you can make your own room for yourself but removing what is duplicated or doesn't change anything is not a bad idea

unless the goal is to have functions or icons to give the impression that there are always more functions than among competitors...

comfort of use is important

too many examples that are useless and do not make you want to... there are some everywhere in the software.
this is from the opening, we immediately understand that it will be heavy.

I say it because it would be really good to do it lightly. it's because zbrush is heavy that I chose 3dcoat. now, where is the difference?

3dc.thumb.JPG.1fd188d09a3fdfbd6df5c9f3e92655b0.JPG

Edited by ludo_si
  • Like 2

another example, the icons are made so as not to have to read the functions. it's visual so it's faster. here we have both, it takes up space unnecessarily. can't we have the name that appears when we pass the mouse over the icon?

It may seem like details, but it really isn't. the new brush engine, you really have to want it. too much is not better than not enough.

can't we choose to decrease their size? or keep the icons without the icon names? Ideas, possibilities, it must be possible.

we eat with our eyes, I think we work with our eyes too

I don't know others but whenever I want to start a voxel project or open a voxel project, the 3d grid is gone.
I have to go to print area for it to appear again. it's embarassing

blender 3d has exactly the same problem although it's better now

3dc2.JPG

Edited by ludo_si

• Contributor
13 minutes ago, Yousung said:

1919059790_bandicam2022-02-1416-37-03-600.thumb.jpg.764283e6fddc9bcebc9769650de7a967.jpg

The upper part of the toolbox (next to the E-Panel)
You can change it by clicking the 'T' icon.

Hi all!

Now There are really double tools in the Clay/Draw Palette. As you can see in the picture. So I agree with @ludo_si:)  Example: Clamp layer Depth in the Paintroom does nothing. 3DCoat can do so many things! A bit of decluttering and structure would be really good.  

A default room setting for startup would be nice!

Freezing and Unfreezing is good in .05! Black Mask, very good to see.

How about masking for voxel brushes, is that possible?

Greetings to all.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
50 minutes ago, ludo_si said:

3dcoat is messy. too many icons, too many duplicate similar functions, many functions found several times in menus. it makes the software cumbersome to use.
more than 80 icons on the left for voxels. it's too much. I am convinced that the software would benefit from it being better tidied up. you can customize, but when you want to reinstall a new version, the layout is added to the new page. and it must be said, there are a lot of icons that we almost used. the next functions, that will make even more icons and even more menus?

sometimes the translations in French are more incomprehensible than in English. often, I wonder if I will not use the software in English instead of French. we gain in ease of use when it's simplified better than when there are a ton of functions in all directions

When you simplify, you remove functionalities.

Blender's solution seems to be to hide functions within panels that are themselves hidden until you meet the right conditions and even then you need to find a tiny icon that is not obvious. To me that is a horrible solution.
3d-Coat also has a few tools in retopo room that are hidden from the left panel until you select the corresponding tool. To me that is a mistake. The solution of having tool-specific functions in the tool options panel like in the rest of 3d-coat is much better in my opinion.

There was a time when tools and buttons were simply greyed out in a software's UI until the right conditions were met. That was an ideal solution to me.

French translation is only partial and yes it makes it more difficult both for the user to learn and to teach them. But then again it is a choice for the user.
maybe it would help a little bit if the english name of each tool was written at the top of hover tips ?

• Like 2

Seems there is some web caching problem and 2022.05 changes not shown, so posting it there

3DCoat-2022-05
- Fixed FBX importer channels usage recognition (correct textures assignment).

- Fixed problem related to "Unfreeze all" in Sculpt room

- Fixed problem of presets compatibility between 2021 & 2022.

- Fixed windows-style window that arrears sometimes as warning (for example fill warning).

• Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

When you simplify, you remove functionalities.

Blender's solution seems to be to hide functions within panels that are themselves hidden until you meet the right conditions and even then you need to find a tiny icon that is not obvious. To me that is a horrible solution.
3d-Coat also has a few tools in retopo room that are hidden from the left panel until you select the corresponding tool. To me that is a mistake. The solution of having tool-specific functions in the tool options panel like in the rest of 3d-coat is much better in my opinion.

There was a time when tools and buttons were simply greyed out in a software's UI until the right conditions were met. That was an ideal solution to me.

French translation is only partial and yes it makes it more difficult both for the user to learn and to teach them. But then again it is a choice for the user.
maybe it would help a little bit if the english name of each tool was written at the top of hover tips ?

4 hours ago, ludo_si said:

I know you can make your own room for yourself but removing what is duplicated or doesn't change anything is not a bad idea

unless the goal is to have functions or icons to give the impression that there are always more functions than among competitors...

comfort of use is important

too many examples that are useless and do not make you want to... there are some everywhere in the software.
this is from the opening, we immediately understand that it will be heavy.

I say it because it would be really good to do it lightly. it's because zbrush is heavy that I chose 3dcoat. now, where is the difference?

3dc.thumb.JPG.1fd188d09a3fdfbd6df5c9f3e92655b0.JPG

Guys, you are right to some degree, but in the end, no UI can reflect functionality without hurting your eyes, some do it better then others. 

In all the apps i deeply learn -  I learn all hot keys and hide 80% of the panels. "expert mode", large viewport in the middle and all is hidden, this is the only solution, there is no way around it in my opinion. 

The detailed description on hover tools was a lot of help to me and still is, as i am still learning the app.
I do agree about the duplicated icons, that should be address immediately. very confusing. 

Created my first hotkeys in the "space" quick menu, tried to drag and drop them into the numbers. had to read each one to know its the right name because of duplicated icons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ludo_si said:

another example, the icons are made so as not to have to read the functions. it's visual so it's faster. here we have both, it takes up space unnecessarily. can't we have the name that appears when we pass the mouse over the icon?

It may seem like details, but it really isn't. the new brush engine, you really have to want it. too much is not better than not enough.

can't we choose to decrease their size? or keep the icons without the icon names? Ideas, possibilities, it must be possible.

we eat with our eyes, I think we work with our eyes too

I don't know others but whenever I want to start a voxel project or open a voxel project, the 3d grid is gone.
I have to go to print area for it to appear again. it's embarassing

blender 3d has exactly the same problem although it's better now

3dc2.JPG

You may think it's unnecessary. I often forget what icon is for what tool. Plus for new people they wouldn't know at all. We had this discussion when the icons were first added.

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

You may think it's unnecessary. I often forget what icon is for what tool. Plus for new people they wouldn't know at all. We had this discussion when the icons were first added.

I remember a survey, I believe it was done by Autodesk, resulting in the conclusion that functions are most readable when displayed with both icon and function name.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hello guys,

Using the 2022-05 build I'm having an issue with padding not behaving as expected :

Few issues, maybe having layer 0 off and opening an old saved file (4.8.44) led to these issues ?

First one : seams clearly visible when painting (no realtime padding seems being made)

image.png.b6d02ce19d2161a368a431ed927215da.png

image.thumb.png.a844d3789f2a72021ab20868d05a42a5.png

Please notice the beige border near red painted areas along islands borders.

Second one, as you can see, I can paint outside of the uv islands (never could do that before, usually I'm constrained in the existing islands). Here's what I have in 3DCoat's Texture Editor window :

image.png.1e4690cb7cf83ed248b16e2c91ec045c.png

Anyone knows how this can happen and how I may avoid it ? (I've just sent the issued 3dcoat file to Andrew)
I'll revert back to 4.8.44 so no worries I can pursue my own work, but I think this issue might affect compatibility with old files so it was worth warning you about it ;)

Edited by Vexod14
  • Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

2022-05, when using "eat detail" modifier at tight space it messes up the surface.  Is it a bug or is there some other setting to prevent it?  I don't remember it did that when the new brush engine was available in v 4.9 as beta tools.

Edited by animk

10 hours ago, Vexod14 said:

Hello guys,

Using the 2022-05 build I'm having an issue with padding not behaving as expected :

Few issues, maybe having layer 0 off and opening an old saved file (4.8.44) led to these issues ?

First one : seams clearly visible when painting (no realtime padding seems being made)

image.png.b6d02ce19d2161a368a431ed927215da.png

image.thumb.png.a844d3789f2a72021ab20868d05a42a5.png

Please notice the beige border near red painted areas along islands borders.

Second one, as you can see, I can paint outside of the uv islands (never could do that before, usually I'm constrained in the existing islands). Here's what I have in 3DCoat's Texture Editor window :

image.png.1e4690cb7cf83ed248b16e2c91ec045c.png

Anyone knows how this can happen and how I may avoid it ? (I've just sent the issued 3dcoat file to Andrew)
I'll revert back to 4.8.44 so no worries I can pursue my own work, but I think this issue might affect compatibility with old files so it was worth warning you about it ;)

The problem is the huge intersection between islands. Need to move (eye?) into separate UV set.

image.png

7 minutes ago, animk said:

2022-05, when using "eat detail" modifier at tight space it messes up the surface.  Is it a bug or is there some other setting to prevent it?  I don't remember it did that when the new brush engine was available in v 4.9 as beta tools.

Please send me the scene to test

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic