3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

Hope all is well at Pilgway.
Just a small note as I'm adding a few props from scratch/voxel to a character I imported for per pixel texturing:
These 3 functions say exactly the same thing: "Paint obj to sculpt", it's a bit confusing, and when clicking on the one that doesn't say it will subdivide the paint mesh, it actually does.
Here I just want to take the paint mesh as a visual reference to sculpt a new object that I will retopo and add to the paint obejcts.
Mu paint object is 2M polys, so even clicking on the one without subdivision, it gets subdivided to 27 millions polygons. I can decimate it, no prob, but maybe it should subdiv (the one highlighted in blue here:)?
image.png.50e2999939fc5cf8175826382a9fd314.png
Maybe they should just be renamed but not sure of the difference of each.
Thanks a lot.

Edited by liok

• Advanced Member

here's another video showing the move through all volumes bug.  It seems like when it's moving a voxel object instead of doing one move operation it's somehow doing lots of small operations....since when you undo it you have to undo multiple steps.   When moving a surface object it just undos quickly to the previous state.  Any ideas?  This has ground my workflow to a halt.  I tried resetting and reinstalled 3d coat but the problem persisted. 

• Advanced Member

still trying to troubleshoot this.  This is from a fresh install with all my preferences etc deleted, starting fresh.  You can can see how the move brush when the button is held down has down has some type of buildup effect.  2021.79, works fine however. 

Edited by nobackup
  • Thanks 1

There are 2 things that I have always wanted in 3D-Coat. Since back when it was 3D-Brush.

1. Wireframe on solid mesh so we don't see the other side when trying to look at the wires.

2. A way to lock layers so you don't accidentally sculpt on them. We can do it with ghosted layers now but they turn semi transparent. I don't want to see through them.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

13 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

There are 2 things that I have always wanted in 3D-Coat. Since back when it was 3D-Brush.

1. Wireframe on solid mesh so we don't see the other side when trying to look at the wires.

2. A way to lock layers so you don't accidentally sculpt on them. We can do it with ghosted layers now but they turn semi transparent. I don't want to see through them.

On No.2, if you turn AUTO PICK off at the top of the UI (toolbar), you should be able to prevent this, as only the Sculpt Tree layer currently selected can be sculpted on.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

would love to see rigid bodies added ..

also a clean ui, something about the current ui just looks old fashioned and behind with todays standards...

maybe clear colours... greys and blues etc... clear writing , also the top menus coul maybe be clearer?

• Advanced Member

The Scale Transform gizmo only works on one side.

As a result of testing, it is confirmed that this problem also existed in the V4 version.

I've been working on it sometimes, not understanding why this was happening and I used to pan the screen looking for gizmos.

We found out today that this issue is affected by the position of the gizmo.

When the gizmo is positioned at (0, 0, 0), both can be manipulated, but when the gizmo is slightly shifted away from (0, 0, 0) the gizmo doesn't work.
- In my case, it occurs even if I move only by the number '3'.
- Controllable gizmos vary depending on whether the gizmo is in the ‘+’ or ‘-’ space for each x, y, and z axis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Cant replicate sorry
Try assigning other shader and lowering DOF degree.

i think i figured it out - I had 'render passes' checked under the render settings tab.  unchecking this made rendering normal again.  Not sure why that would be causing this issue though.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 3/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, Yousung said:

As a result of testing, it is confirmed that this problem also existed in the V4 version.

I've been working on it sometimes, not understanding why this was happening and I used to pan the screen looking for gizmos.

We found out today that this issue is affected by the position of the gizmo.

When the gizmo is positioned at (0, 0, 0), both can be manipulated, but when the gizmo is slightly shifted away from (0, 0, 0) the gizmo doesn't work.
- In my case, it occurs even if I move only by the number '3'.
- Controllable gizmos vary depending on whether the gizmo is in the ‘+’ or ‘-’ space for each x, y, and z axis.

Maybe that issue might be related to this issue I reported a while ago.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

Thanks for the new Linux build!

Two in a row! It seems like you overcame a major hurdle and now we get new builds in a matter of days instead of weeks or months. And for Linux and Mac alike. Thank you so much, and congratulations!

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Recently upgraded from 3D Coat v4 to 2022 and want to start by saying that you guys are doing an incredible job!

One issue that I have noticed is with the Spine tool in the modelling room.  It works the first time it's used, but after that it ceases working and becomes unselectable.  After some testing I discovered that it seems to work fine in version 2022.5 through 2022.7, but 2022.8 and all subsequent versions seem to have the same issue (I tested this by upgrading to each release candidate using the update manager and also by uninstalling and doing a clean install of 2022.12 then updating to 2022.13, the results appear to be the same).

Hope everyone at Pilgway and their respective families are safe and well!

Edited by Fluffy
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

I’ll soon return to macOS. A few questions:

• Is 3D Coat macOS still actively being developed?
• Does 3D Coat macOS support Apple Silicon (M1 chips) and/or Metal?

Thanks.

• Contributor
50 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

I can't find this item in the menu of the Modeling room. Can you show it?

Hi!

Of course. Here you go!  To see the Export Button you need to have Blender +Applink activated. And for testing in Blender set Exchange folder to C:\Users\'Username'\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\

export.thumb.png.18c99821c32238d1c8eae3ec26a77179.pngUntitled2.thumb.png.a859155667820acea24f6f743ae93318.png

image.png.a345434e4c38282b26e052dc6d648bd9.png

I find this simplified export the biggest timesaver ever. It is such a welcome option to streamline the workflow.

However, I wish there was an option to decimate by % as well. Most often I select a set of objects and each one has it's own polycount. Complex ones have over 1m, while simpler parts have around 500k. Unfortunately by setting a polycount decimation target, I lose a lot of detail I wouldn't need to lose had the option been 80% of current polycount per object. 

The 1M object loses 3x times its detail while the 500k loses less than 2x.

Hopefully that option can be added in the next releases?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work guys !

Can you please push up the feature request of selecting UX? :good:

Disabling the select tool and delete it from the modeling room please. 
the modeling room is the select tool.  the entire room is modelling room, please have it that we are always able to select one of the 3 components depand on the last mode we chose.

EXAMPEL:
so if i am setting hotkeys:

1 for points
2 for edges
3 for polygons
no matter what im doing, or what tool is currently active, if i press 1 i can select points. and it will remember the last points selection i had.
Now, after pressing 1, if i press W for move tool, i am still on points mode, but my move tool is active. if i press 2 the move tool is still active but i can now select edges. if i press q for marquee selection the edges are still active but now instead of move tool i have marquee selection. but can still select individuals with SHIFT. 

Have it understand that if 0 components are selected it will move the entire layer like an object.
and please please, add the default behavior that if we press on the background it deselect anything. keep the ctrl+d for those who like it better.

please, this thing i just wrote will make the entire modeling process 2-3 times easier. 

Thank you very much for all the effort, and stay safe guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, Just a user said:

Great work guys !

Can you please push up the feature request of selecting UX? :good:

Disabling the select tool and delete it from the modeling room please. 
the modeling room is the select tool.  the entire room is modelling room, please have it that we are always able to select one of the 3 components depand on the last mode we chose.

EXAMPEL:
so if i am setting hotkeys:

1 for points
2 for edges
3 for polygons
no matter what im doing, or what tool is currently active, if i press 1 i can select points. and it will remember the last points selection i had.
Now, after pressing 1, if i press W for move tool, i am still on points mode, but my move tool is active. if i press 2 the move tool is still active but i can now select edges. if i press q for marquee selection the edges are still active but now instead of move tool i have marquee selection. but can still select individuals with SHIFT. 

Have it understand that if 0 components are selected it will move the entire layer like an object.
and please please, add the default behavior that if we press on the background it deselect anything. keep the ctrl+d for those who like it better.

please, this thing i just wrote will make the entire modeling process 2-3 times easier. 

Thank you very much for all the effort, and stay safe guys. 

Actually, the Select tool is not really a TOOL, but more of a MODE. When it is active, you are in SELECT/EDIT mode.  Everything else either CREATES new geometry, or builds off of already existing polygons. The QUADS, ADD & SPLIT and STROKE are just examples. When the SELECT Tool is active, it presents a host of context-sensitive tools, based on the sub-object element (faces, edges, verts) chosen.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic