3DCoat 2021/2 development thread

• Advanced Member
34 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Not understood what do you mean. Are there any changes in 11 related to this issue?

Sorry if the translation is weird....:(

What I'm talking about is this.▼

8 hours ago, Yousung said:

Test
Steady Stroke : 40
Brush Radius 0.1
Connective Picking

And a new finding seems to be affected by camera distance.
Even with the same setting, the problem gets worse as the distance of the camera increases.

To summarize the problems we found...
- Steady Stroke with high numerical value (eg 40)
- Brush Radius with a small numerical value (eg 0.01)
- Connective Picking (Volume Based is fine)
- As the distance between the object and the camera increases.

The problem gets worse.

Steady Stroke's behavior depends on the distance of the camera.

same issue in V11

I didn't touch any settings and used the default example sample and default brush settings.

Edited by Yousung

6 minutes ago, Yousung said:

Sorry if the translation is weird....:(

What I'm talking about is this.▼

Steady Stroke's behavior depends on the distance of the camera.

same issue in V11

I didn't touch any settings and used the default example sample and default brush settings.

Seems I was able to get it. But not sure, so, please check. What FOV have you set? Setting FOV below 30 is generally problematic. Use orthography in case of low FOv-s.

I wake up. Uninstall prev version, install new, test a bit. Find bugs. Post here. 

Wasted time. Cant make anything. Cant learn other parts of 3d coat because how will I know if something is a bug or supposed to be.

Very Upsetting for me:

Voxel Mode:

-  Weird stuff happens: Voxhide a part of an object, invert hidden, sculpt on it a little, then use cutoff tool on the sculpted part. Cutoff reverts area close to your cut back to a history state like you havent sculpted before cutting. Tested again. Similar result.

-  Another problem: *Vox hide a part, invert hidden, sculp on it. Then unhide all and you'll not have what you'd expect.

Then you all get upset when we mention other software. Small team, working hard 18hrs a day, changed the engine for the better bla bla... :(

Edited by Koray
edit

9 minutes ago, Koray said:

I wake up. Uninstall prev version, install new, test a bit. Find bugs. Post here. 

Wasted time. Cant make anything. Cant learn other parts of 3d coat because how will I know if something is a bug or supposed to be.

Very Upsetting for me:

Voxel Mode:

-  Weird stuff happens: Voxhide a part of an object, invert hidden, sculpt on it a little, then use cutoff tool on the sculpted part. Cutoff reverts area close to your cut back to a history state like you havent sculpted before cutting. Tested again. Similar result.

-  Another problem: *Vox hide a part, invert hidden, sculp on it. Then unhide all and you'll not have what you'd expect.

Then you all get upset when we mention other software. Small team, working hard 18hrs a day, changed the engine for the better bla bla... :(

Ok, reproduced it, will fix it in build 12. There is a workaround. It happens if you use surface tools and then go to cutoff or unhide. Switch to any native voxel brush and then go to cutoff/unhide. But there is the part that is impossible to fix - if you use surface tools over voxels, voxelize, and then use "unhide all" then the small, but the visible border between hidden and visible parts is unavoidable because voxels structure was changed essentially.

When using the tablet, you cannot make continuous or separate strokes for a very short time.
In the video you can see how one stroke works but the next one does not work, and the next one does (because some time has passed)
If you make a stroke and wait a second or two, it works again.
This issue was in previous versions like 2021.6 (pc / mac)
The latest versions that I have been able to test on pc is corrected but continues on Mac.

Thanks for your help.

13 minutes ago, TomasAceytuno said:

When using the tablet, you cannot make continuous or separate strokes for a very short time.
In the video you can see how one stroke works but the next one does not work, and the next one does (because some time has passed)
If you make a stroke and wait a second or two, it works again.
This issue was in previous versions like 2021.6 (pc / mac)
The latest versions that I have been able to test on pc is corrected but continues on Mac.

Thanks for your help.

So, on 11 for PC it works correctly? But 09 does not even on PC? There was an essential fix for voxel brushes in 11.

57 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

So, on 11 for PC it works correctly? But 09 does not even on PC? There was an essential fix for voxel brushes in 11.

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I have tried to reproduce it on PC and in previous versions (from 06 up)it already worked perfectly on PC. Maybe I did not test it carefully on pc because it is not my first system.

It may be somewhat isolated in the Mac version. or in this macOS (Catalina 10.15.7)

Thx.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Ok, reproduced it, will fix it in build 12. There is a workaround. It happens if you use surface tools and then go to cutoff or unhide. Switch to any native voxel brush and then go to cutoff/unhide. But there is the part that is impossible to fix - if you use surface tools over voxels, voxelize, and then use "unhide all" then the small, but the visible border between hidden and visible parts is unavoidable because voxels structure was changed essentially.

How about this :
When there is hidden geometry on a vox layer, disable all surface tools (including Move if "voxelize immediately" is unticked)

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Strange, but on my side it works, position kept if coat closed correctly. Do you have the file Documents/3DCoat-2021/data/temp.WindowState.bin ? Does the data change when you exit?

Time stamp is changing at exit, but file data looks the same in text editor. If i maximizing window it changing file at exit.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, iRadovsky said:

Hi guys!

Have problem with 3CD 2021.07  - can't install it :

1401504773_Screenshot2021-07-22at17_28_07.png.b15eaef2eb9b690a7340033c53ce020c.png

Disk image with "3DCoat" for macOS has been notarized with Apple and it should open without malicious software warning. But please download "3DCoat-2021.09.dmg" then do the following:
1. In Terminal go into "Downloads" folder:
% cd ~/Downloads
2. Make sure that:
% ls -l 3DCoat-2021.09.dmg returns size 991602118 (bytes)
% shasum 3DCoat-2021.09.dmg returns checksum 0f0ad61e870fe4b4a71d3770836f6fb48b6d5958
3. Clear extended attributes (among them could be "com.apple.quarantine"):
% xattr -c 3DCoat-2021.09.dmg
Make sure that there is no attribute "com.apple.quarantine":
% ls -l@ 3DCoat-2021.09.dmg
4. Open the disk image and as always drag & drop "3DCoat" into "Applications" icon:
% open 3DCoat-2021.09.dmg
Step 2 simply checks the integrity of the downloaded disk image. Step 3 clears extended attribute "com.apple.quarantine" which is crucial.

• Like 1

Hello, I saw that in latest 2021.11 version was fixed some of brush issues. I don't know is it means that problem with strokes on a small distance was solved, but problem is still in place. Also I thought, may be it depedns some how on display resolution, so I should tell that my display is 4k Cintiq. Anyway thanks a lot for your hard work on the Coat polishing and bugs fixing!

• Like 1

About small distance strokes, as I see Coat draw small red dot above the pen which point actual place of brush where dub will have placed, and when I moove my pen in 2-3 mm around this dot this red dot don't move at all. And I thought if my display would be smaller this radius may be around 0.5 - 1 mm and I wouldn't feel that, but my display is 32 inches and this distanse feels as huge.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021/2 development thread